It came and went like the munchkins in Oz.
    10-14-12 02:03 PM
    It works great and love it. Wont upgrade till I have BB10 as a choice.
    10-14-12 03:48 PM
    Never advertised never pushed. A good phone no one knew about.
    10-14-12 03:53 PM
    And your point is???

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    10-14-12 04:04 PM
    Hey bud, no dud.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    10-14-12 04:07 PM
    best bb i've ever owned! its a damn shame it wasn't marketed at all! couldve been a real winner!
    mzceetee likes this.
    10-14-12 11:46 PM
    Not a dud. Quite excellent.
    10-14-12 11:49 PM
    Great all around phone with lame marketing and push.
    10-15-12 12:46 AM
    Great phone and easy to use.
    10-15-12 12:47 AM
    When BB10 is finally out, I'm still going to use it as an MP3 player (despite the pause bug), Calendar, Task, Clock/Alarm, Memopad, Calculator... ah screw it, I'll chuck the thing in a grease fire. BB10 will do all that and more. It'll be my spare MP3 player.
    Last edited by Undenied; 10-15-12 at 01:44 PM.
    10-15-12 01:32 PM
    The real problem is lacked the keyboard most hardcore BB users love and compared to the iPhone or latest Android slab phones it's not too impressive. Plastic screen, slow and with few apps.
    10-15-12 01:49 PM
    I agree with most here, its a good phone that wasn't advertised, wasn't pushed. Of course, also the point with the plastic screen, which is a major annoyance. Mine is a year old and is filled with scratches already. Apps is also an issue since it has a vastly different screen aspect ratio. Most apps do work though. One that i wanted but didn't work properly was Lensboost, which resized the images to fit the screen, which naturally distorted it. Also this phone somehow has a slight memory leak issue that i havent seen on other OS 7 devices.

But still, this is the phone that I'm using as my daily driver. It has similar specs with the 9900, other than lesser internal memory and an auto-focus camera. Browsing is a better experience because of the bigger screen, camera is better, keyboard is not that bad if you place some trust in the predictive input. I have used most OS 7 devices other than the 9380, and the P'9981, and in the end i went with the 9860 as my main device.

Best of all, due to its unpopularity, the price is vastly lower than what a 9900 would have cost.

All in all, i think its a great phone that should have marketed side by side the 9900 as the one without keyboard.
    andy957 and mzceetee like this.
    10-16-12 03:04 AM
    I agree with this. My 9850 is a great communications/entertainment device.

10-16-12 10:44 AM
    Thanks all for the great feedback. I was really curious as I thought about the phone for a while and then it completely vanished, so I was wondering what the actual story was. I remember playing with one of them at a Rogers store and thinking that the plastic seemed a little chintzy compared to the 9780 (which was still available at the time).
    10-16-12 12:01 PM
    Of course, also the point with the plastic screen, which is a major annoyance. Mine is a year old and is filled with scratches already.
    Are any of the buttons peeling? My back button looks like it's peeling like a sticker. It's the only thing that's never been protected, everything else looks brand new and I've had it for almost a year.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    10-16-12 12:08 PM
    Are any of the buttons peeling? My back button looks like it's peeling like a sticker. It's the only thing that's never been protected, everything else looks brand new and I've had it for almost a year.
    No button peeling here. Almost a year old also.

10-16-12 12:19 PM
    The real problem is lacked the keyboard most hardcore BB users love and compared to the iPhone or latest Android slab phones it's not too impressive. Plastic screen, slow and with few apps.
    I have had it for more than a year. The plastic screen is great and its not at all slow.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    10-16-12 12:38 PM
    I use a pocket pouch and other than that the phone is naked. No marks on the screen no button peeling, nothing.
    10-16-12 12:38 PM
    Peeling ever so slightly around the edges. Also the chrome around the trackpad has slight peeling too. Also, if you ever had a 8520, the texture of the rubber at the back tends to change texture after long use, sort of rougher, and if you clean it with alcohol, the cloth will turn black too. My 9860 has the same thing too around the camera area. Abusive use i guess, and the phone was buck naked since day 1.
    10-16-12 01:46 PM
    I used to carry it naked and in my pocket, but then I got paranoid and bought a holster and slabbed on it an insivibleSHIELD, but I wished it would have had a rubber casing on it too. A week ago it fell two feet onto the pavement and I swear I felt my heart skip a beat It slammed really hard, like if a diver would slam head first onto a hard surface!

But it was all fine, didn't even scratch or break, nothing. If it would have been an iPhone the glass would have cracked for sure. Thank goodness it's a plastic screen. High five anyone?
    10-16-12 11:36 PM
    Have you owned one?

Yea, those keyboard based BB phones are selling so well.
    NOT!

S3s are having issues with broken glass. My plastic has not scratched or cracked yet. It just as fast as the 9900s.

Geesh...

Tim

10-17-12 06:57 AM
    Have you owned one?

Yea, those keyboard based BB phones are selling so well.
    NOT!

S3s are having issues with broken glass. My plastic has not scratched or cracked yet. It just as fast as the 9900s.

Geesh...

Tim

I have a 9900 and an iPhone 4S. I love the keyboard on my 9900 and that blinking LED but in all other respects the iPhone is a superior communications and media consumption device.

BTW the keyboard based BB phones are selling a lot better than the keyboard less ones. I have never seen a 9850/60 outside a phone store.
    10-17-12 08:02 AM
    I have a 9900 and an iPhone 4S. I love the keyboard on my 9900 and that blinking LED but in all other respects the iPhone is a superior communications and media consumption device.

BTW the keyboard based BB phones are selling a lot better than the keyboard less ones. I have never seen a 9850/60 outside a phone store.
    I agree with most part actually, other than the iphone being a better communications device. The 9860 in my opinion is the better one. The reception and call quality, and the way it handles emails makes it more efficient. Also because there's a unified inbox, it makes it a better and more efficient communications device. But this is where it ends.

Which is the reason why BlackBerry devices with physical keyboards sell much better than the 9860. It was so bad carriers stopped selling them. The 9860 does media slightly better, but that is only due to a bigger screen. Compared to other devices, it is still behind. Then the typing experience is a compromise too as to be honest, the virtual keyboard is hardly the best I've used. However when you talk about the 9900 and 9790, they have physical keyboards which some prefer, and of course being the best physical keyboard out there does help. Whereas if you wanted a full touch screen device, There's a lot of other alternatives out there that could do a lot more fun and games. And probably are overall a better all rounded device.

If someone wanted a device with a bigger screen, and it doesn't have to be a BlackBerry, most if them would go for other alternatives. The bold 9900 in this aspect has a better proposition, which is its physical keyboard. But the 9860 has none.

I do love my 9860, but I do think that its a phone with a niche target audience. I have not seen any 9860 out in public before. Whereas there are tons of bold 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    10-17-12 08:58 AM
    I manage the BB server at my work place, and I do all the BlackBerry repairs and ordering..I never go farinto repairs though, I usually just replace the phone unless it's something basic. Anyway..I have about 100+ users who have a BlackBerry and they either have the 9930 or the 9850. When I first started ordering these about a year ago, I had the 9930 and 9850 and I just showed each person each phone and asked them which one they liked best. A lot of people went for the 9850, but the majority went with the 9930. A year later, the users who got their 9850 still love it and others have tried to get them to switch to the 9930 but they do not like it. They like having the bigger screen and have no issues with texting. Just thought I would share that info. I use the 9930 for work myself, but I switch to the 9850 at times. It's definitely a great, powerful device and I recommend it. Verizon still sells the 9850 because I still order them. I do all of my orders online though, I'm doubting any store have them available though. The 9850 should have been marketed for sure in my opinion.
    Alex_Hong and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-17-12 09:25 AM
    I have both the bold and the torch on verizon and in my opinion the torch is a great device. There are a lot of other platforms that have devices that don't sell to well because there are too many to choose from. Personally Blackberry serves me better than other platforms and the torch has features I like better than the bold. With the latest OS from verizon the torch has been a power house for me!

10-17-12 05:50 PM
45 12