Sprint set to unleash new $30 BlackBerry data plans | The Boy Genius Report

From BGR:
    It looks like Sprint is getting ready to drop a new BIS add-on plan for its BlackBerry subscribers. Beginning November 4th Sprint users will be able to select a $30.00 BIS BlackBerry Power Vision package. This is one **** of a package, sporting unlimited web browsing, email, IM, Sprint on Demand access, Sprint TV, Sprint Navigation and more. It also lets you rock out with unlimited text messaging! A comparable plan from T-Mobile, the previous budget winner, would run you $34.95 including the unlimited SMS. Sounds like a steal to us. The plan does not, however, allow for tethering. That feature will run you an extra $15 a month. Even so, we think current and prospective Sprint �Berry customers are going to be happy today.
    10-30-07 01:58 PM
    Does anyone have this plan? This morning I talked to a rep online, one over the phone at *2, and one on the phone at my local sprint store and no one has even heard of it.

I could save $25 a month with this plan. :-(
    11-04-07 10:43 AM
    It just became available today...but I, too, will be interested in hearing from people who get it.

Only slightly surprised that the Sprint CSR hadn't heard of it.
    11-04-07 11:25 AM
    Motivated by saving $25 a month, I spent 6 hours on the phone with Sprint CSR & technical support yesterday. No one was aware of the $30 plan. Eventually, they found something on paper defining it. Before I could get it, they had to transfer my account to their new system, Ensemble/UBP. I just got the phone two months ago, but was still put in the Premier/P2K database. I was told all Sprint customers will eventually go into the UBP system. After handing over all my info (SSN, drivers License #, etc) for credit check and bouncing between departments, I finally got the $30 plan on the new system. Note: remind them that it comes with unlimited txt messaging, Sprint navigation, and Sprint TV. No one there is familiar with the plan. It took another hour to provision the phone. Still don't have access to my personal account on sprint.com. They said 24 hours for that one.

The CSR did give me a mobile link for a free OTA download of Telenav. Ran it and found I need a password to use it. I was told today that the last 4 of SSN is my password. Haven't tried it yet.

Yesterday, the Sprint CSR told me Sprint TV was only for the Pearl. I asked again today [why not] and was told I just needed to down load it from the Sprint website -- which I can't get into right now.

I'm sure things will get smoother as time goes on and more people switch over. Everyone was nice. They just didn't know about the new plan or how to set it up. But if you're like me (crackberry addict), you won�t let 6 hours of phone support stop you from playing with some new apps.
    11-05-07 11:42 AM
    Rick,
    You are my hero.

I went to Radio Shack and got a flier that actually tells about the new plan and tried to get it activated on to my account in the store but told me that since our bill was under Sprint Nextel and not just Sprint they couldn't help me.
    Okay. So I drive to the Sprint store with the brochure in hand and they tell me that the plan does not exist... While I have the brochure in my hand.
    He asks me where I got this from (Radio Shack, 10 minute drive away) and explains that in different cities there are different BlackBerry plan price (In PA, he says that there are BlackBerry plans for $15 dollars).
    Anyway, the guy finds some small print on the flyer that says 11/07 and tells me that the 07 doesn't stand for the year, but the date. I cannot get the plan until the 7th of the month.
    Ugh.
    11-05-07 02:54 PM
    I am considering getting the Pearl later this month, and like all the goodies that supposedly will be coming with the $30 BIS plan, but I also need BES service as my company has a BES server available for use.

Before now, I understood that Sprint did not differentiate their BB plans between BES and BIS, now it seems they are splitting it up, is that correct? Will there be an add on for BES service on the BIS plan?

Or will I need to pay for the $50 BES plan then add Nav and everything else that comes with the BIS plan? I figure once you add Nav, texting and SprintTV your data plan alone could be $80. Am I missing something here?
    11-08-07 02:25 PM
    Hello all, I have this new 30 dollar plan on two 8830. The biggest changes are that it includes unlimited text messages and sprint navigation. But you can only use it for your personal email settings ie NO BES (Corp email, exchange servers). Its a good deal.
    11-10-07 09:23 AM
    I called last week and tried to get this blackberry vision plan added, I was already on the Ensemble billing system but they still had a problem adding the plan and they gave me a ticket number for a service request. I called back today and they told me the ticket was closed but yet they still couldn't add this plan but would try a way to get it on. They claimed they moved my account from one billing system to another, cleared everything on one of the systems, then moved back onto the system.

After hanging up with them I could not get my phone to make calls or use any data. I called back and had to enter a new IMSI number (I believe this is the number I changed...) and had to re-provision the phone (I have a Blackberry 8830). Everything seems to be working fine now...I downloaded sprint navigation and it logged me right in.

However, I noticed that on sprint.com my voice plan was different and had to have that changed...but I also noticed sprint.com is still not working properly for me since the migration last week...I can not check my bill, pay my bill, the additonal add-on section lists that I have almost add-on they offer but when calling CS they only see my voice plan and the $30 blackberry plan. Is there a different thread where people are having similar issues with the new overhaul at sprint.com?

Also, if anyone successfully added this new blackberry plan...I downloaded sprint navigation and it instantly logged in for me when I opened it and it works fine (I just hope I don't get additional charges for this), I have not tried On Demand premium services yet...but does anyone know if with the 8830 you can access the sprint tv that the package supposedly offers?

Thanks for any help.
    11-14-07 09:43 AM
    I just spent an hour on the phone with multiple departments and they finally said they can no longer do manual migration of accounts into the new system. They said I had to wait until my account gets migrated.

I guess I will call again tomorrow and start all over again. Any hints??
    11-16-07 03:31 PM
    I was on the phone for about 40 minutes Friday the moment I saw the splash of the new plan on Crackberry's home page. It took they guy a few minutes to find the information on the plan. They took a look at my billing, set me up with the new plan, sent me to tech support for provisioning and I should be all set. A day later I recieved a text message to go to the Mobile site where I was able to download Sprint Nav.

Only thing I have a ? about is Sprint TV, I have seen nothing on it yet.

Pretty much an effortless experiance.
    11-18-07 05:59 AM
    I work for sprint bb support and currently the only bb we have that supports sprint tv is the pearl all other blackberries do not have that feature. What we suggest is third-party software like mobi tv
    11-18-07 08:26 AM
    Begs the question: Might you know of an OS upgrade (forthcoming) that may enable the feature they advertised with the plan that was available for my 8830?
    11-18-07 03:31 PM
    Ok I finally got it today. First thing is sprint hasn't explained to the reps how to add the plan. You have to take off the other plan first and the text messaging then it could be added. You do not need to be on the new billing system. Ask for Travis in customer service he knows how to do it. He's awesome the only one who figured it out. Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-07 11:51 AM
    you don't need to be in the new system anymore because I got lucky last Wednesday and got a trainer. He got them to setup the plan in the old system. Since then, you are able to add it to any blackberry.
    11-28-07 10:51 AM
    The plan does exist and you can get Phone as a Modem included for free cause Sprint doesn't update their website.

Call BB Tech Support and reference this link: Sprint | News Release

It states PAM is included in all BB Data Plans, which means they can't make is an add-on that would be deceptive billing practice and they would have to honor the news release as being included on all plans. They are adding it to my account as a zero dollar line item.

Call and get it added to yours... the dept who added my was Account Services so general CS probably can't and will give you lip about it.
    12-09-07 07:53 PM
    I managed to get onto the $30 plan the other day. The Service Rep offered it up without prompting. Everything seems to be working great. I'm rather impressed with the Sprint Navigation.

The only concern I have at the moment is that the BB Plan is not showing on my account when I log in, so I just need to make sure they didn't fork things up.
    12-12-07 02:55 PM
    This post is great, I pay $39.99 + $10 for text messaging. I'm gonna call sprint and get this new plan. That's a savings of $20

12-13-07 01:46 AM
    I love all of you, I called sprint this morning and change to the new bb plan. It took me all of 5 mins. Has anyone notice a positive change with sprint's customer srvc?

12-14-07 01:14 AM
    Has anyone notice a positive change with sprint's customer srvc?
    My answer to that would be a resounding "No".

If I have to call Customer Service for ANYTHING involving my Blackberry I find that after I explain the issue to them they immediately tell me they need to transfer me to the Blackberry Division. This results in a MINIMUM wait of 10 minutes before someone actually answers. Once they finally answer (I've had to wait as long as 45 minutes, but never less than 10) they usually manage to fix things quickly. The wait is killing it though.
    12-14-07 10:24 PM
    I would also have to agree BB Tech Support wait is so long and they first thing they tell me is did I take out the battery. I didn't wait on hold for 30 mins if that was going to solve the problem. This is my fourth BB. I can't stand CS from Sprint
    12-15-07 11:01 AM
    I've noticed that our hold times in calling Store Sales Support are way down! Also it seems that people are way more willing to help out. Hopefully they're starting to get more organized.
    12-24-07 05:47 PM
    Store Sales Support or Blackberry Tech Support?

Big Difference... I was on hold again just last Friday for 22 mins and got passed around to the CS because I was on the Ensamble Billing System and then passed back to BB for help. The whole waste of time took over an hour and 45 mins.
    12-24-07 05:51 PM
    Ok I finally got it today. First thing is sprint hasn't explained to the reps how to add the plan. You have to take off the other plan first and the text messaging then it could be added. You do not need to be on the new billing system. Ask for Travis in customer service he knows how to do it. He's awesome the only one who figured it out. Hope that helps

Just a reply to the quote about Asking for Travis in customer service! I work for sprint customer service and regardless of what you think, There are many Travis's that work in the hundreds ofsprint call centers worldwide and besides, do you honestly think that travis works at the center 24/7 and even if he did, do you also think that another customer service rep would be able to track down exactly who he is by just the Name Travis, please people, calling in and asking to speak to a certain rep because you heard they were good or were talking to them before doesn't usually work, the closest we can get is to put you with the right dept, we cannot even guarentee that person will be at the center we connect you with or that they are even still working, CSR'swork 8-10 hours a day, not 24...... getting upset at the customer service rep because we cannot connect you with the last rep you talked to is sensless, if we could do it, we would so believe us that we cant please.

also, asking to speak with a supervisor is sometimes a stupid move, try giving the customer service rep a chance, sometimes they've been their longer than the supervisor but like the job they do so much they dont want a promotion!!!! also, being demanding and swearing at a CSR will get you no where, us supervisors and managment care about each individual situation and consider each circumstance on that basis and if a person calls in and demanding the impossible or threatening the lives of CSR then those people usually get nothing, it's a judgement call, i'm sure that not everyone who claims they "dont know how to use internet" doesn't get a credit, but some do beacuse 1) they were nice about it and not expecting to get credited or 2) we can prove it

dont think that we can't look at the times and kB you used internet etc, oh and yes as the tech guy said, Sprint TV is only capable on the Pearl right now which i have (and if you look at my profile and think i don't support the company i work for because i have a telus mobile account, it's because i'm in canada, and sprint is no longer in canada unfortunately....and another thing, when you guys call in and hang up on us reps because you find out we're from canada and you think we are idiots, i hope you enjoy talking to someone that doesn't speak good english from the phillipeans when you call back because most centers for customer service aren't in the US, the other depts are, the ones taht are only open for a certain period of time.....just so ya know
    01-06-08 10:31 AM
    My answer to that would be a resounding "No".

If I have to call Customer Service for ANYTHING involving my Blackberry I find that after I explain the issue to them they immediately tell me they need to transfer me to the Blackberry Division. This results in a MINIMUM wait of 10 minutes before someone actually answers. Once they finally answer (I've had to wait as long as 45 minutes, but never less than 10) they usually manage to fix things quickly. The wait is killing it though.
    to ansser your quote, i'm a sprint rep and the reason you get transferred is beacuse Blackberry HAS to deal with their own tech problems and usage details because they are the ones who guarentee the service, next time you call in ask to have the direct 800 # for the blackberry dept so you can call that with any tech issues, regular billing and plan issues though *2
    01-06-08 10:33 AM
    Quick Note: Sprint doesn't directly support their Blackberries. They outsource it though EDS another vendor. That is one reason why you mention the name Blackberry they are already to transfer you call to EDS partner for Sprint.

CS needs to realize sometimes that everything is not a Blackberry Techical Support issue.
    01-06-08 12:54 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD