Hi All,

i have 2 problems, my emails never seem to stay on the playbook permenantly( i only ever have 2 or 3 emails at best)

and i can't rotate my pics for slideshows? is that normal? or am i missing something really obvious.

Thanks in advance guys.
    10-11-12 07:35 AM
    I have the same issue with both my PBs. The emails aren't always there. Some stuff just doesn't want to load on it. My inbox won't show older emails.
    10-11-12 10:35 AM
    Hi All,

i have 2 problems, my emails never seem to stay on the playbook permenantly( i only ever have 2 or 3 emails at best)

and i can't rotate my pics for slideshows? is that normal? or am i missing something really obvious.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Regarding your email issue, it may be that your email account is set to show messages for only 1 or 3 days. This is set in the "Accounts" setting, select your email account then tap "Advanced". Scroll down to set the Messages Sync Timeframe. The choices are 1, 3, 7, 14 or 30 days. When your tablet "synchronizes" with your email service (hotmail, Gmail, etc.), it means that the tablet connects to the email service and obtains copies of your messages for today and for the number of days into the past that you have specified with this setting.

Don't get this setting mixed up with the "Sync Interval" which determines how frequently you tablet checks for new messages. If your email service supports "push" and you have "push" enabled, you don't need to set the sync interval because all new messages sent to you will be pushed through to your tablet. If push is not enabled, you can set the sync interval to various settings from 15 minutes to 24 hours, or you can run the sync manually when you want to.
    esk369, baloo56 and DoctorNeutron like this.
    10-11-12 01:02 PM
    Regarding your pics issue, all I can say is the slideshow in the Pictures app rotates when I rotate the PB.

I understand that sometimes a picture taken in portrait mode might not display in the proper orientation during a slideshow. When this happens, I use one of the photo editors to rotate the photo then save it in that rotated state. That usually fixes it. I've had this issues in various situations, whether dealing with photos on a pc, a mac, desktop, laptop, online, using photoshop, Picasa, windows pic viewers so it is a common issue, but quite easy to fix.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-11-12 01:15 PM
    Thank you so much for your post on syncing - its about time I cleaned up
    my act and learned about this really important topic. Comes to the forefront
    with 2.1 and SMS support. Very clear, nice explanation. Again, TY !
    Doc Neutron
    10-14-12 12:29 PM
    This thread brings me to one of my real gripes about the PB. Why the continuing 30-day limit on emails, including sub-folders? I find this incredibly annoying and limiting, so I'm sure others do as well, and I find it inexplicable that this issue hasn't been addressed by Rim. What gives? Any answers?
    Michel Souris likes this.
    10-15-12 12:23 PM
    question: this 30 days sync period, does it also mean that messages older than that are *actively removed* from playbook? i thought to havd seen different, but just want to clarify.

and answer to the post above: yes, it is too bad to limit this to max 30 days. when using PB first time you wanna have more than 30 days of email. i could tolerate it more with date schedule, but even there it should be users choice.

Ray

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    10-15-12 01:40 PM
    "This thread brings me to one of my real gripes about the PB. Why the continuing 30-day limit on emails, including sub-folders? I find this incredibly annoying and limiting, so I'm sure others do as well, and I find it inexplicable that this issue hasn't been addressed by Rim."

This is complete jackassery on the part of RIM. For over 15 years, email software (much of it free) has allowed people to download and store years of email on computer hard drives.

SO WHAT IS RIM'S PROBLEM HERE? IS RIM TRYING TO SET RECORDS FOR STUPIDITY AND IGNORING ITS CUSTOMERS' NEEDS AND DESIRES?
    10-15-12 04:42 PM
    Apparently there is a way to access older emails, through Files and Folders I believe though I could be wrong. A poor subsititute for what should be a gimme on any email program.
    10-15-12 06:53 PM
    This is annoying to only have up to 30 days of emails, but I can guess why RIM did it this way.

4 reasons I can think of
    1) I believe as emails build up, the Messages app will get slower because it will have to load more emails into the interface. Sure, most emails are text which are relatively small files, but the messages app will still have to index and display them all at once. (The messages app is slow enough already. Enabling people to load more than 30 days of email is trouble)
    2) If it was for more than 30 days it would take a really long time for it to download and sync all your emails. (People would complain that they're playbook is sluggish the first time they load their emails and give up? Yes, there have been plenty of posts where after an update people are always complaining how it is slow and sluggish, then come back a few hours later to say it's okay now. It's usually a lot of reorganization and indexing that needs to be done in the background.)
    3) The playbook is really meant to be a day to day device, not an "everyday" device, wlhich I think is kind of a shame but nevertheless they assume you don't need emails for more than 30 days since you'll get bogged down with emails. (Most people get upwards of 10 emails in a day. which translates to 10 x 30 days is 300 emails! Multiply that by 3 email accounts, and thats getting to 1000 emails! Do you really want to load 1000 emails at a time?)
    4) Some emails do regular archiving of emails into different folders so you might not be able to pull more than 30 days anyways.

Okay, so these reasons don't exactly make up for not giving users the option, or giving the option with a warning message, but oh well. You get what you pay for. And lets just hope it gets better in the future....maybe?.....pretty please??.....
    10-15-12 07:37 PM
    If accessing emails older than 30 days is important to you, there are two ways to do it. One is obvious- use the browser. The other is less obvious- use an android email app. One is already loaded on your PB and is called Email. It cannot be accessed from the desktop, but can be accessed through Ghost Commander, ES File Explorer, Quick App Manager and probably a few other apps. It will load 30 days of email on startup but will give you an option to load more. You'll also receive notifications of incoming email, though the app cannot be launched from the notification bar.. The other advantage it has over "Messages" is that it uses android file browsers with full folder access when attaching files to outgoing mail.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-15-12 08:14 PM
    Thanks. I'll take a look at that "Email" app.
    10-16-12 02:47 AM
    This thread brings me to one of my real gripes about the PB. Why the continuing 30-day limit on emails, including sub-folders? I find this incredibly annoying and limiting, so I'm sure others do as well, and I find it inexplicable that this issue hasn't been addressed by Rim. What gives? Any answers?
    emails coming from pop servers are not limited to 30 days.
    This said, I have an account with a couple of years' worth of mails, that I maintain shared between various machines as an archive, and this accounts generates a failure on the BB when read through the pop server: some hundred emails are downloaded, then the connection is closed and the related account is declared invalid. Whatever I do from then on doesn't solve it.

question: this 30 days sync period, does it also mean that messages older than that are *actively removed* from playbook? i thought to havd seen different, but just want to clarify.
    I've seen it too, and was terrified (this is the reason I sideloaded Kaiten Mail!), but that's untrue, at least with my 2.1 system

3) The playbook is really meant to be a day to day device, not an "everyday" device, wlhich I think is kind of a shame but nevertheless they assume you don't need emails for more than 30 days since you'll get bogged down with emails. (Most people get upwards of 10 emails in a day. which translates to 10 x 30 days is 300 emails! Multiply that by 3 email accounts, and thats getting to 1000 emails! Do you really want to load 1000 emails at a time?)
    I have a linux-based (Ubuntu) mini-laptop which daily handles my abovementioned POP email account, the one with 1000+ emails, with instant local search.
    I recognize our emailer's current pathetic state is quite general for tablets, but really, yes, hardware capacity is there.
    With 64 Gb one could embark 100 years of email.
    And the android-ported offline search capacity of Wikipock for instance shows with just emails one should be reactive too.

It's not a matter of capacity, it's poor design.
    Last edited by Herve5; 10-16-12 at 07:04 AM.
    10-16-12 06:53 AM
    as emails build up, the Messages app will get slower
    My phone has 1GHZ and 256 MB RAM. Still it can hande around 1000 emails with tolerable performance. And it gives me the CHOICE if I wanna have 1 day, 1 week, ..., all emails.

If it's an issue, they could introduce warning (seen such on PC - tool scannes the message headers and give summary information) and suggestion to limit the count or date range. But not cutting to 30 days only.

So from the other post, POP3 email accounts dont have a time limit on PB, while Exchange Active Sync (and IMAP?) limits download to max 30 days but keeps emails beyond 30 days once they are loaded (On OS 2.1). Right?. What if you cant login for 2 months? You will miss 1 month of unread emails???? :-O

Ray
    10-16-12 11:03 AM
    The sideloaded Android apps can handle old emails seamlessly, and keep them forever if you want. They are speedy and nothing is bogged down when they are retrieved. There must be an indexing system in place, so the full email is only downloaded on demand.
    10-16-12 02:58 PM
    Thanks for that explanation. Only problem is I don't have that option for my email address, works for my hotmail account though. I'm still working out how to get my work email to have this option. It's only a pop account....surely it shouldn't be that difficult.
    10-23-12 03:10 PM
    I couldn't believe seeing emails OLDER than 30 days VANISHING from Playbook.

The 30 day limit is not only annoying on first time sync, but the limit is alive all the time.

Really, who designed this email crAPP? I know of no other device that forcefully hides old emails from me ...

Ray
    12-19-12 06:16 PM