Hi all. Long term lurker, first time poster.
    Now that I think about it I probably worded the title wrong. One of my PB's won't charge via the rapid charger after the update to 2.1.

After updating both my PB's (16&32) to 2.1 my rapid charger no longer charges my 32. (By rapid charger I mean the magnetic dock charger).

The display is showing that it's charging, but it just won't take a charge. The normal charger works fine, and the rapid charger works great with my 16.
    Any thoughts? I hope I didn't miss a thread on this already. Oops!
    10-05-12 01:13 PM
    Hi all. Long term lurker, first time poster.
    Now that I think about it I probably worded the title wrong. One of my PB's won't charge via the rapid charger after the update to 2.1.

After updating both my PB's (16&32) to 2.1 my rapid charger no longer charges my 32. (By rapid charger I mean the magnetic dock charger).

The display is showing that it's charging, but it just won't take a charge. The normal charger works fine, and the rapid charger works great with my 16.
    I highly doubt this is an OS issue and suspect it is more of a wear and tear issue. I have both rapid chargers (dock and cable) as well as two 64g PBs. I am guessing that you have the same problem as I do along with many others which is that the dock is poorly built. The charging pins in the dock are on springs (as is the cable rapid charger) and if memory serves me from another thread, the left pin on many docks is a little bit too recessed. This often means that only two pins will make contact on the PB. I have this problem with one PB (the one purchased at release) more than the other (much newer). I can't remember if the thread was on this forum or another BB forum but I'm sure a quick google search will bring up the thread detailing this problem and the fix. The fix involves dismantling the dock and resetting the left pin higher. Too much work for me but others have had sucess. Hope this helps.
    10-05-12 01:30 PM
    Have you tried a few hard reboots. Both types of my rapid chargers work.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    10-05-12 01:32 PM
    After you plugged in the rapid charger, did you Battery Icon->Lock your PlayBook or just let it go to sleep on its own? I've noticed that if I Lock the PlayBook with the rapid charger plugged in, the battery indicator will say it's charging when it's not. Letting the PlayBook go to sleep on its own with the rapid charger works.

This problem doesn't happen when I use the USB charger.

This is true in OS 2.0.1.368.
    10-05-12 03:45 PM
    Both chargers work find on both my 32gb PlayBooks.
    10-05-12 09:31 PM
    I would jiggle the "non" working one in the docks and see if that allows charging. As noted, on both the dock and travel (cable) rapid charger, if all THREE pins don't make proper contact you might get what I call a FALSE lightning bolt but no charging. I sometimes have to realign things.
    10-06-12 01:41 PM
    Realign things? Reset charger or play with the pins in some way?
    10-06-12 03:38 PM
    This happened to my first PlayBook after ten months. it just wouldn't connect properly. Rim rma took all of five days and it was returned working and still does.
    10-07-12 04:46 AM
    I have a 16gb and 64gb Playbook both were running the 2.1 Beta, both are now running 2.1 official, both charge with no issues with my rapid charger.
    10-07-12 06:47 PM
    The person who posted about the 3 pins having to align is correct.

My rapid charger has 1 pin that is a bit recessed. 9 times out of ten it charges showing the bolt but that 1 time it will show the bolt and won't charge.

My previous rapid charger, the pin would not spring back into place and I had to exchange it.
    10-09-12 12:30 AM
    Sorry everyone, but it did turn out to be a bad coincidence with 2.1 and my charger not working anymore.
    I did originally jiggle the PB and checked the pins and everything *looked* fine, but upon further inspection one of the pins was ever-so-slightly out of alignment. So slight I probably would have missed it if everyone didn't mention it.
    It's all working great now. Thanks again!
    10-09-12 11:26 AM
    I have a similar issue this week after the update. PB is hard to charge, both with the rapid charger and the regular charger, it will just sit there with NO charging bolt.
    After I reboot it it will work just fine.
    I did have some issues updating it though. I will be doing a wipe and reinstall to see if it is corrected or if it is just me. This is the 2nd real issue I have had with the PB since I got it on day 1 and the first updating issue
    10-09-12 02:15 PM