I do some work for Microsoft and when I go to Redmond I always get cra* about my Blackberry and I am told that all their suppliers should be using a Windows phone, I have always joked with them that I am waiting for Microsoft to buy RIM ... looks like others are thinking the same...
    Research In Motion's Biggest Risk Could Be A Hostile Takeover Bid By Microsoft - Seeking Alpha

I hope this doesn't happen, I want RIM to be independent.

I am long RIM
    10-05-12 08:42 AM
    Anything is possible in survival mode. MS OS PC dogma will be challenged soon, if not already. Just try to imagine how a laptop will evolute in next 5 years?

Know nothing about economics and business, MS buying out RIM is a possibility if it is a question of survival. Else, I can imagine RIM buying out MS in five years.

For consumers sake, I hope RIM maintains as a independent company.
    10-05-12 09:36 AM
    They need each other ... see my comment there
    Balti43 likes this.
    10-05-12 09:41 AM
    I used to be adamant about BB/RIM/RIMM staying its own company. Now I just need BBM to exist and for BES with its present certifications to continue to exist.
    Whatever that takes.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    10-05-12 09:58 AM
    i don't see it happening, MS has everything RIM has, their activesync structure is used in the world thir OS is based around their Xbox and PC OS, they have invested boatloads into Nokia, so why waste there time on RIM? if anything they might buy their patents but i think thats it
    10-05-12 10:01 AM
    I could see it happening as a way for MS to try to capture more of the enterprise market, and to acquire BBM. If they could cannibalize enough of BB10 to make WP more attractive, it would be worth it.
    10-05-12 10:11 AM
    i don't see it happening, MS has everything RIM has, their activesync structure is used in the world thir OS is based around their Xbox and PC OS, they have invested boatloads into Nokia, so why waste there time on RIM? if anything they might buy their patents but i think thats it
    They've got activesync but BES is a much more robust tool for security minded organisations. Additionally, while there are loads of apps that do everything BBM does (as ColdSunshine and Ynomrah recently taught me) I still prefer it as a solution. I think there is enough about it that Microsoft would be interested.

People have proposed Google acquiring RIM, but that sends shivers of fear down my spine. Microsoft - and dare I say it...Apple - do not scare me as much.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-05-12 10:41 AM
    They've got activesync but BES is a much more robust tool for security minded organisations. Additionally, while there are loads of apps that do everything BBM does (as ColdSunshine and Ynomrah recently taught me) I still prefer it as a solution. I think there is enough about it that Microsoft would be interested.

People have proposed Google acquiring RIM, but that sends shivers of fear down my spine. Microsoft - and dare I say it...Apple - do not scare me as much.
    true but just aquairing the patents for their infrastructures would allow the same thing, they don't acutally have to buy the whole thing, they don't need the software side, they don't need the hardware, they've basically bought Nokia. i agree parts of RIM microsoft would want, but i don't agree it'll be a hostile take over, if RIm fails and it gets broken up, you can bet the BES/BIS parts would have a major fight for buyers, IBM has already expressed an interest in it, i can see Apple and google wanting this also not just Microsoft
    10-05-12 12:57 PM
    true but just aquairing the patents for their infrastructures would allow the same thing, they don't acutally have to buy the whole thing, they don't need the software side, they don't need the hardware, they've basically bought Nokia. i agree parts of RIM microsoft would want, but i don't agree it'll be a hostile take over, if RIm fails and it gets broken up, you can bet the BES/BIS parts would have a major fight for buyers, IBM has already expressed an interest in it, i can see Apple and google wanting this also not just Microsoft
    I think the thesis is that if RIM DOESN'T fail, and occupies the #3 spot (which is highly likely at this point), then Microsoft will be forced to put in a hostile bid for the whole thing because RIM will not be broken up, and Microsoft needs the #3 spot like their lives depend on it.
    10-05-12 01:00 PM
    They need each other ... see my comment there
    i saw it, liked the last sentence haha
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-05-12 01:03 PM
    I think the thesis is that if RIM DOESN'T fail, and occupies the #3 spot (which is highly likely at this point), then Microsoft will be forced to put in a hostile bid for the whole thing because RIM will not be broken up, and Microsoft needs the #3 spot like their lives depend on it.
    by that point RIM will be worth more and Microsoft might not be able to afford it at that point, again i don't believe there will be a hostile take over if RIM is able to take over 3 place stock prices will sore, right now the market is expecting RIM to crash and burn
    10-05-12 01:04 PM
    There won't be a takeover of RIM. They are national treasure and the government will block anyone from buying them. They've done it before and they will do it again in this case.
    10-05-12 01:05 PM
    Before this ever happens RIM has a million options to licence BB10 to Samsung or whoever. That would be the next logical choice for them if BB10 does not take off as we expect it to.
    10-05-12 01:05 PM
    Wouldn't that mean MS is saying they can't produce their own mobile OS? Not likely. I hope not thought, I am counting on RIM to continue increasing in share value.
    10-05-12 01:06 PM
    Bigbad, they are talking about a hostile takeover, not friendly.
    10-05-12 01:08 PM
    Microsoft can't even manage their mobile division to a point where it is anything more then mediocore. Not to mention their partnership between themselves and Nokia is a joke. Do you really think Microsoft could manage an effective takeover of RIM.........LMFAO is all that needs to be said about that.

I'm pretty sure a hostile takeover is out of the question. Between Watsa, Balsilie and lazaradis. They combined own over 30% plus of the company. Combing insiders such as Heins etc and those loyal to all I've mentioned and ownership exceeds 40% collectively. Microsoft would have to convince 75%+ of share holders outside of those I have mentioned and have them turn their share over to Microsoft. This is simple stuff. People are just to foolish to realize a takeover other then a board blessed affair is out of the question. Come on people. Really?

Someone needs to go slap any "dumb-dumb" who thought of this or thinks its even possible!
    10-05-12 01:11 PM
    There won't be a takeover of RIM. They are national treasure and the government will block anyone from buying them. They've done it before and they will do it again in this case.
    this but i doubt that will even happen, this is a difficult place for anyone interested in RIM, speculations are that its the end and the company will get sold off, but the way it seems from demos of BB10 is they have a serious shot at regaining some lost market. the choice is try and take over the company now with a rising stock price or wait and buy the pieces you want and need once the company is stripped for scraps, either way you look at it RIM is not makign it easy for anyone, and that deserves alot of respect, don't make it easy for anyone to kill you and put out the biggest fight to build yourselves up once again.
    10-05-12 01:11 PM
    Microsoft can't even manage their mobile division to a point where it is anything more then mediocore. Not to mention their partnership between themselves and Nokia is a joke. Do you really think Microsoft could manage an effective takeover of RIM.........LMFAO is all that needs to be said about that.

I'm pretty sure a hostile takeover is out of the question. Between Watsa, Balsilie and lazaradis. They combined own over 30% plus of the company. Combing insiders such as Heins etc and those loyal to all I've mentioned and ownership exceeds 40% collectively. Microsoft would have to convince 75%+ of share holders outside of those I have mentioned and have them turn their share over to Microsoft. This is simple stuff. People are just to foolish to realize a takeover other then a board blessed affair is out of the question. Come on people. Really?

Someone needs to go slap any "dumb-dumb" who thought of this or thinks its even possible!
    agree with you very strongly, people over look things when making grand assumptions, now i'm nto saying i don't either but i know in this case alot of things were
    10-05-12 01:13 PM
    I could see it happening as a way for MS to try to capture more of the enterprise market, and to acquire BBM. If they could cannibalize enough of BB10 to make WP more attractive, it would be worth it.
    If they scrap Windows Phone and replace it BB10 and call it Windows Phone then it would make it more attractive.
    10-05-12 01:26 PM
    They also couldn't handle the Danger acqusition. They laid off some people and shuffled some people over to work on the most glorious Kin devices (/sarcasm). They caused a complete crash of the Danger servers resulting in hundreds of thousands of Sidekick users losing all the data stored on their phones - contacts, calendar entries, emails, texts, EVERYTHING. Just gone. After a couple of WEEKS a small percentage of that was able to be restored. Then after all that, they decided to just scrap the Danger servers effectively ending the Sidekick line, and the Kin devices were a COMPLETE flop.

RIM has a much, MUCH higher user base than the Sidekick line had. Should Microsoft EVER acquire RIM, I'm sure they would put more effort into doing things right to still do the brand justice.
    10-05-12 01:38 PM
    Bigbad, they are talking about a hostile takeover, not friendly.
    I get that but they have all their eggs with Nokia at the moment...let that one run its course first....there is no way MS would buy RIM now....never going to happen.
    10-05-12 01:42 PM
    The federal government of Canada has already gone on record earlier this year, as saying they would not block anyone from buying RIM.
    10-05-12 01:54 PM
    The federal government of Canada has already gone on record earlier this year, as saying they would not block anyone from buying RIM.
    they said no bail out
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-05-12 01:56 PM
    I'm pretty sure a hostile takeover is out of the question. Between Watsa, Balsilie and lazaradis. They combined own over 30% plus of the company. Combing insiders such as Heins etc and those loyal to all I've mentioned and ownership exceeds 40% collectively.
    Hey missing_kw, can you post the link where you found this information on ownership percentage? Tried going to the Nasdaq website and couldn't find the info there.... at least it wasn't updated (they posted ownership trades and # of shares by institutions only for June 30/12) ??? I'd like to see the numbers.

Thanks.
    10-06-12 01:11 AM
    I just spite my coffee out!! RIM and Blackberry have come to far.
    Just say they did, I will make sure Microsoft dies a SLOW death.....that's a promise
    richardat likes this.
    10-06-12 06:06 AM
44 12