Hey Gang,

I know a lot of people (including me) use their BB devices as MP3 players, but does anyone use their Playbooks as a player? I ask because I'd like to just load up my PB with basically ALL of my music, set it on a dock at my desk at work, and listen away!

Experiences? Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Thank You!
    10-04-12 12:50 PM
    Yup, I do this all the time. Neutron MP3 Player is a great app from App World that I use for it.

Neutron Music Player

Buy Neutron Music Player - Download Neutron Music Player - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World Price is $4.99

Do it...you'll love it. If you have external speakers - hook em up! Better yet, get a BB music gateway and do things wirelessly (Bluetooth). Here's a battery powered one you can use in your car from Monoprice for $19.47 https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Gh50Gx_s

Hooked up to your BB cellphone through Bridge you can use it as a remote! Tablets let you browse the web, look at videos, take pictures, use mapping (GPS) and an endless amount of other things besides listen to music...the PlayBook is the best tablet out there for the money. NOTHING else compares at this price point...NOTHING.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 10-04-12 at 01:01 PM.
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    10-04-12 12:54 PM
    Go for it. I bought my PB to be a .mp3 player. It also does a lot of other things really well!

32GB is not enough for all my music so the free 50GB on box.net comes in handy!
    10-04-12 12:55 PM
    I love using it as an mp3 player, especially on long car trips. It produces a better sound than my Torch (which was pretty good anyway).
    My only complaint is how rudimentary the native music player itself is. I wish it would take advantage of the Playbooks graphics and processing power to give us cover flow, an equalizer, ability to format how the album info is displayed, etc. All things that the Torch player has.
    When playing on shuffle, it doesn't even show me what the band is: just song and album name, in text so tiny you have to squint to read it.
    bquinney likes this.
    10-04-12 01:17 PM
    I listen to my music randomly, so that the ruddiness of the player is no problem. It's loaded with over 6-7 Gb of MP3s and I shuffle them on my BT headset when traveling or away from home. I like it mucho
    10-04-12 01:21 PM
    I did have a load of music on my PB, but I took it all off to make more space for games (I only have a 16GB) I always have my phone with me anyway, so if I want music I play it on that. (I almost always listen via headphones, so there's no real difference in sound quality, and I don't miss the incredible speakers of the PB).
    10-04-12 01:48 PM
    I use mine as a mp3 player all the time. In my office, in my truck and at home I use bluetooth to stream it to my home theater / stereo.
    10-04-12 02:13 PM
    I love using it as an mp3 player, especially on long car trips. It produces a better sound than my Torch (which was pretty good anyway).

My only complaint is how rudimentary the native music player itself is. I wish it would take advantage of the Playbooks graphics and processing power to give us cover flow, an equalizer, ability to format how the album info is displayed, etc. All things that the Torch player has.

When playing on shuffle, it doesn't even show me what the band is: just song and album name, in text so tiny you have to squint to read it.

i love using it my car as well having it docked on a Arkon tablet mount i can use the Magellan app and play music simutaneously and still hear the turn by turn direction. i also use it as an MP3 player in my kitchen when im whipping up breakfast for the family...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-04-12 02:23 PM
    Almost all of my 64GB is taken up with music (which is why I bought a 64GB). That said, it's still often easier for me to use my 9810 as an MP3 player, even though it tops out at 32GB, probably because of the portability factor. Sometimes I'll even use my 9810 with BT headphones while browsing on my PB, if only because both browsing and listening on the PB with BT at the same time causes dropouts in the BT connection.

I wish it would take advantage of the Playbooks graphics and processing power to give us cover flow
    Actually, if you click the down arrow next to the small album cover icon when a song is playing, a cover flow bar pops up at the bottom, showing the previous 4 and next 4 covers. The covers are not very big, but they're about 4 times bigger than the regular icon.
    CdaS likes this.
    10-04-12 04:11 PM
    32GB is not enough for all my music so the free 50GB on box.net comes in handy!
    So how does this work? I load all my music up into "the cloud" and then what? Can I just go to the app on my playbook and start playing music from the Box app? OR, do I have to select which items I want to download to my playbook, wait 20mins, then I am able to play them?

Thanks, Ed
    10-18-12 11:54 AM
    Okay, I just installed Box and found my question to be the case. That seems a little... well not what I was looking for. I guess a cloud like that is a good holding tank for music I don't listen to that often. (shrug)
    10-18-12 12:05 PM
    I use mine as an MP3 while doing yard work. I pair to my Motorola S10-HDs and use the headset controls to move between songs, etc. I find the default PB music player is adequate for managing the 11GB of songs I've suffed into my 32GB unit, and I can fire-up Nobex for those times when I'd rather listen to streaming (steaming?) talk radio, etc.

My PB goes everywhere with me - mowing the lawn (in a pouch hanging from the mower), trimming the hedge (shoulder bag), walking the dog, etc. I have a nice, rugged "clam shell" case for the unit (Case Logic 7" eReader/Tablet case), so bouncing around in a sack all day doesn't phase it.

RCK
    10-18-12 12:45 PM
    I use mine similarly, although I have my music library on Google Music and use GoogMusic on my PlayBook to steam. I just load up music manager on my PC anytime I get new music and it automatically uploads new songs to my library. I create playlists on my PC and they are available on the PlayBook as well.
    10-19-12 10:54 AM
    I have most of my music in my Amazon Cloud Drive, and I created a link to the Cloud Player in the browser, works fine for playback. I have a few songs stored locally, but most of my local storage is videos.
    10-19-12 03:50 PM
    I use winamp and I listen to shoutcast music stations.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    10-21-12 08:44 PM
    Okay, I just installed Box and found my question to be the case. That seems a little... well not what I was looking for. I guess a cloud like that is a good holding tank for music I don't listen to that often. (shrug)
    That seems to be the case with most if not all of the native apps that can access the cloud, i.e., download, then play. However, android PB apps that can access the cloud
    can stream media without having to download, so audio files will start streaming in 3 to 4 seconds, video a little longer.
    10-21-12 08:54 PM
    its my only mp3 player! I don't even have songs on my Style anymore! and its even worse since I bought pacemeker! I'm everywhere playbook in hand, mixing!
    10-21-12 10:02 PM
    I'm curious. If you already have a BB phone, what's the advantage of having a copy the MP3s on the Playbook? You have your phone with you all of the time, and the Playbook some of the time. The phone is perfectly capable of music playing, I don't understand the advantage of replicating functionality.
    10-21-12 10:17 PM
    Well if you delete them off the sd card, that's more space for your phone. And me personally, my PB goes everywhere I go.
    10-21-12 10:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD