I've got the 8310 and have subscribed to the TeleNav service through AT&T for $9.99/mo. I've read threads here that talk about other software/map options.

Can anyone recommend a less expensive alternative to TeleNav?
    10-30-07 01:00 AM
    TeleNav is one of the better options, and if you will be using it often, I think it's worth the money. Now if you want free, you can always use the built-in BB Maps, or you can try Google Maps. Neither one of those have voice directions though.
    10-30-07 09:45 AM
    I've got the 8310 and have subscribed to the TeleNav service through AT&T for $9.99/mo. I've read threads here that talk about other software/map options.

Can anyone recommend a less expensive alternative to TeleNav?
    You might want to look at "wayfinder dot com" for $99 one time fee. It uses Tele Atlas- used by Tom Tom and being acquired by them.
    10-30-07 04:40 PM
    less expensive option?

It's $10. This is "the" less expensive option to the $300 machines from the electronic stores. Plus, the telenav does the traffic routing. It's very difficult to beat $10 for the Nav.
    10-31-07 11:17 AM
    You can always d/l "infospace find it". It has voice turn by turn directions. Better yet, its FREE!
    As are Blackberry Maps (which was not included on my BBs) and Google Maps, again both free to d/l and use.
    10-31-07 12:04 PM
    Another option is Nav4All. It has pretty nice maps and is free! It also has voice directions and you can even pick the type of voice you want to use. The only down side is it does not use street names like TeleNav. It just tells you "turn right ahead in 400 yards" and such.

Not bad for a free product. Worth a look!
    11-01-07 02:09 PM
    Thanks...I appreciate all the input. So far, I'm pleased with TeleNav so I think I'll stick with it.
    11-03-07 04:27 PM
    What about BB maps - blackberry.com says that at&t customers can't use BB maps - any AT&T guys out there that have it, and if so, how did you do it
    11-08-07 04:26 AM
    AT&T users CAN use BBMaps. I do. Just d/l it and install. The problem comes when you do an update your phone via the Desktop Manager. It purposely hides the BBMaps icon. AT&T REALLY wants you to use Telenav ($10/month). There are work arounds for the hidden icon. It requires some editing of files and a reload. Not too complicated. Just don't ask me to explain it. A search here or at pinstack.com should give you the instructions.
    11-08-07 07:15 AM
    I love Telenav, and at $9.99/mo it's definitely a cheaper alternative to purchasing a bulky, stand-alone unit.

I have both Telenav and Google Maps (just in case) but for sheer convenience, Telenav wins.
    11-08-07 07:21 AM
    Does anyone know if my 8310 comes with BBmaps? Ve been trying to use the gps function of my phone with no success. I can get my location but I jave no idea of what to transfer it to or what to do after that. I am prompted with no option to do a way finder..please help as this was one of my favorite features on this phone!
    11-08-07 04:26 PM
    It can be done, if you don't mind modifying some files. Otherwise, there are Google Maps and Live Search Mobile for Blackberry. Both are free, and can be installed OTA pretty simply. I have been messing with all three on my 8310, I'm not sure which one will be staying and which ones will be going. (Or if I will keep 2 or even all 3... We'll see.)
    11-08-07 06:29 PM
    .... when I am travelling out of the US, on the ocean, or in a plane. I want to see and track my location on a map, but I don't want to pay non-US network data charges. Often I am in places where there is no network access. Any suggestions? I have a ton of memory (4GB micro SD card) if I can find a map to download to it and always have. Doesn't need to be extremely detailed. Help.
    11-16-07 11:06 PM
    so where do we get these bbmaps,nav4all and google maps???
    11-16-07 11:12 PM
    .... when I am travelling out of the US, on the ocean, or in a plane. I want to see and track my location on a map, but I don't want to pay non-US network data charges. Often I am in places where there is no network access. Any suggestions? I have a ton of memory (4GB micro SD card) if I can find a map to download to it and always have. Doesn't need to be extremely detailed. Help.
    I still really need help on the above ... however, google maps for blackberry can be found by going on your blackbery to :
    www dot google dot com slash mobile slash index dot html
    11-17-07 02:59 PM
    so where do we get these bbmaps,nav4all and google maps???
    blackberry.com/maps BlackBerry Maps (if att then need to make some mods, i did not try this one yet)
    google.com/gmm Google Maps
    nav4all.com/install Nav4all

both google & nav4all loaded without a hitch for me. hope this helps
    11-17-07 09:25 PM
    actually, black berry maps worked great on the 8310, it was the google maps that needed some mod's done. You need to activate the GPS within the program. Haven't tried nav4all, but will when i get a chance.
    11-20-07 10:56 AM
    Hi All,

I can't seem to find an answer to this and this thread seems the best place. I am used to using my old iPaq with iGuidance software and my Bluetooth GPS to get me around. I have 3 pieces of software on my iPaq, the iGuidance stuff for driving, another for kayaking and another for track creation/shapefile manipulation.

Once I purchased these, I just installed them and used my bluetooth GPS and could go anywhere. The nice thing is, I very frequently leave coverage area so I can't rely on a network that isn't there.

I would like the same for my curve, it has a built in GPS, but doesn't BB Maps use data? Without coverage it's useless, is there a 3rd party piece of software I can buy that will do any of these?

Thanks
    11-20-07 11:59 AM
    Hi everyone... I was reading the post but the thing is when I was trying to use amAze GPS, or nav4all, I just cant seem to find my location...

I am now in Venezuela for a couple of weeks, I dont know if that is the problem but I refreshed the GPS like 5 times now in different places and nothing.......

Is it because I havent payed the Telenav fee?? I read somewhere that AT&T wouldn't let you use the GPS without the TELENAV im not sure...

Can anyone help me here?? Is there any other way to find my location?? Do you think that there is no coverage here?

Thank you for your time
    11-20-07 12:59 PM
    Hi all,
    I tried both Amaze and Nav4All on my BB8320 on T-Mobile network and it looks like Nav4All is the better program and loads pretty quick. The only draw back is that you have to sit for 5 minutes for initial setup to complete and you do require a data plan.

Amaze was very sluggish on my BB8320. Google Maps does not work on the 8320 because it does not work with BREW. I have looked extensively for free software to load on my 8320 with the Bluetooth Freedom GPS Keychain receiver and have only found Nav4All which works great. I would be grateful for anyone who has found other voice guidance GPS software though.

Note: If you install Nav4All make sure you set APN to internet2.voicestream.com in Settings->Advance Settings->TCP
    12-23-07 10:17 PM
    Free is always better. I dropped Telemap and use google maps or amAze maps. Both are free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-07 10:53 PM
    anyone have concerns about the security settings that Nav4All wants to use by default?

Why does it need access to my files? PIM? just seems a bit much access to my personal or privileged information.
    12-31-07 01:43 PM
    The lack of security and requesting fie permissions is really a bit too much, I agree. Maybe that is why it is free!!!
    01-19-08 09:13 AM
    Has anyone tried Wayfinder on an 8830? Can you use the internal gps or do you have to use their external gps receiver?
    01-21-08 12:58 PM
    I have an 8320 with T-Mobile and an external GPS receiver, USGlobalSat BTS-359). Both USGlobalSat and T-Mobile recommended TeleNav and I tried it for a couple of weeks. When it worked it was great but I kept getting a "Cannot connect to server (10) error". TeleNav says this can be resolved by removing the battery for 30 seconds. This did not work and I have to go into the options and reset the firewall settings, the TeleNav settings then remove the battery. This was a little annoying to say the least.

I just downloaded Mapquest Navigator and will try it for the next week. Mapquest is $10/month or $50/year.

Does anyone know of any other mapping programs that offer voice directions
    01-26-08 11:01 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD