In the sticky section of the General Discussion forum on Crackberry there's one thread for people leaving Blackberry and another for people coming back to Blackberry.

Considering this is a Blackberry forum you'd think that the latter would win, but that is not the case.

Here's the numbers:

People leaving Blackberry = 1702 posts
    People coming back to Blackberry = 375 posts

That's well over 400% more people posting about leaving than returning.

How sad is that?
    09-25-12 04:40 PM
    it says that people leaving are mad and need to share for we dont know what reason, and people coming back are so overwhelm with joy that they dont have time to post.
    09-25-12 04:49 PM
    It's more sad that you felt obligated to create a thread...

PS...BlackBerry subscriber base grew 2 million since last quarter
    09-25-12 04:50 PM
    what's there to come back to? in reality, rim offers an inferior product. I like bb for one reason: physical qwerty. I really want them to succeed with bb10 but until then, what does rim offer users that android an ios doesnt?
    09-25-12 04:50 PM
    That is to be expected. All the present BB phones, and the operating system, are history. The new products have not been released yet.

When they are released I'm one of the people that may come back to BB (from Android).
    Neely2005 likes this.
    09-25-12 04:52 PM
    it says that people leaving are mad and need to share for we dont know what reason, and people coming back are so overwhelm with joy that they dont have time to post.
    hahahahahaha... right.

over seas (mostly in asia from what I've read)... you think those folks are going to shell out $700 bucks for a new device? nope. the reason they're selling over there is because its a cheap smart phone.
    09-25-12 04:56 PM
    There's a lot more dramatic people leaving than arriving. I never announced my coming to CB...
    what's there to come back to? in reality, rim offers an inferior product. I like bb for one reason: physical qwerty. I really want them to succeed with bb10 but until then, what does rim offer users that android an ios doesnt?
    e-mail efficiency, BBM
    hahahahahaha... right.

over seas (mostly in asia from what I've read)... you think those folks are going to shell out $700 bucks for a new device? nope. the reason they're selling over there is because its a cheap smart phone.
    Cheap smart phones are also the reason that Android is the #1 OS platform. It's not like everyone's using a One X or SGIII.
    09-25-12 04:58 PM
    e-mail efficiency, BBM
    other phones are faily efficient. if they werent, corps wouldn't be offering byod or abandoninv bb alltogether. with unlimited texting, bbm now offers very little. and where it does offer more over texting, there are third party cross platform apps that do the same.
    09-25-12 04:59 PM
    And 8520s (cheap BlackBerrys) are selling nicely.. Not all of those two million subscribers bought 9900s, right?

09-25-12 05:00 PM
    Inferior how? So many times have I seen this but how is this a fact?

I have a 9900 and have no intentions in upgrading when BB 10 comes as I don't believe it will suit me better. Nor would Apple/Android.

So please don't take this as an attack, I am genuinely curious to know what you feel you are missing out on.
    bungaboy and Neely2005 like this.
    09-25-12 05:01 PM

Why is it sad? It's just a fact, and one I think is worthy of discussion.

If RIM's subscriber base grew by 2 million last quarter it must be 20 million people in India, Nigeria and Cambodia who subscribed and 18 million Americans and Europeans moved to other phones.

That would give you your 2 million increase in subscribers, but I'll bet you that RIM are earning a lot less, per phone, from the 20 million new subscribers than from the 18 million who quit.

Over the last two months I've spent time in the UK, Spain, France, Switzerland, and Belgium, and I can tell you that for every Blackberry I see TWENTY iPhones and Android devices.

Out of all my social circle I'm the only person who still has a Blackberry. Heck, even my accountant moved from a Blackberry to an iPhone.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen massive shrinkage in their BBM list and this just proves that a MASSIVE amount of North Americans and Europeans (in my case) have left Blackberry.

I don't want to leave, but must admit that the delay in bringing out BB10 is becoming frustrating.

Yes we want it to be right, but if they don't get it to market soon - and I mean real soon - the only markets they'll be selling it to will be Africa, the Asian sub-continent, and ultra die hard Blackberry users like you and me. Heck! Even the latter are getting fed-up, which is clearly demonstrated by the statistic I posted.

I'm trying to stay positive, but it is getting harder and harder.
    09-25-12 05:05 PM
    hahahahahaha... right.

Well it sounds like they are planning to have cheap models available at launch, so that may be smart for those developing nations markets! Got to get BB10 in there, because they are in danger of having the erosion start there as well.

I would say that those trumpeting the 2 million....are being ridiculous. It's a terrible sign...of course not as bad as actual market loss...although that to, is mostly a "shock" value rubric. Bottom line:sales continue to fall dramatically even with the developing nations sales, and they are losing ground in the market, 2 million is not enough to match market growth.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    09-25-12 05:07 PM
    Inferior how? So many times have I seen this but how is this a fact?

I have a 9900 and have no intentions in upgrading when BB 10 comes as I don't believe it will suit me better. Nor would Apple/Android.

So please don't take this as an attack, I am genuinely curious to know what you feel you are missing out on.
    no offense taken, I'm not the typical bb cb fanboy who's ready to pounce. I have a 9900 too and while better than the 9700, the overall experience is lacking for a supposed upgrade. I'm not huge into apps but it would be nice to have some love. I feel that the 9900 offered slightly better hardware with little in the software category... ie: fewer battery pulls from low memory. the pb integration fails too. everything seems late. failed attempts at catching up. I don't feel I answered your question adequetly but one can integrate their ipad and iphone, streaming media back and forth and nothing like that exists for rim. with the fact that you required a bb phone for the first pb os, it hasn't come very far. where's skype, where's video chat? canadians are raped by providers, these things would help.
    mark37724 likes this.
    09-25-12 05:15 PM
    Why is it sad? It's just a fact, and one I think is worthy of discussion.

I'm trying to stay positive, but it is getting harder and harder.
    No, it isn't, all the facts doesn't worth discussions. Days have 24 hours, the earth tourn around the sun and Iphones sells better than BlackBerrys. Nothing new or interesting. And you're really trying to stay positive ? Don't highlight n�gatives news that everyone know.
    Masahiro, Ben1232 and bungaboy like this.
    09-25-12 06:00 PM
    Wow, a lot of these treads are simply noise now! they no longer have any effect. one way or the other.
    Masahiro, bungaboy and rotorwrench like this.
    09-25-12 09:35 PM
    At this point that's a realistic poll & people within the tiny fraction of the Blackberry family will continue to leave...
    ...Until Blackberry starts producing products that can consume media as well as a Droid or iphone.
    ...That means getting Netflix to work on the Playbook and Skype to work on BBX.

The smartphone and tablet market is one that is driven by how well the device consumes media services....
    ...Right now RIM is batting ZERO in that department.
    ...I think they know what they have to do the question is can they do it?

There are many people like me who would give RIM another chance however it will not be blindly...
    ...I will be confirming at least Skype works and will continue to work on BBX prior to buying it.
    ...And I would absolutely confirm that Netflix would work on the Playbook prior to getting another one of those.

BTW I bought two Playbooks to use for Video chat and they are excellent for that.....
    ...They are also excellent for watching youtube and browsing the internet.
    ...They are literally worthless for subscription based media consumption.
    09-25-12 11:37 PM
    In the sticky section of the General Discussion forum on Crackberry there's one thread for people leaving Blackberry and another for people coming back to Blackberry.

Considering this is a Blackberry forum you'd think that the latter would win, but that is not the case.

Here's the numbers:

How sad is that?
    this says nothing. this is garbage not statistics.
    bungaboy and Chaddface like this.
    09-25-12 11:43 PM
    It would be nice if some of the apparent self-loathing 'bb users' in this thread/forum would add to the leaving bb group.

BB7 is awesome and I wouldn't ever get another iphone and getting an android will likely never be an option for me.

Why put your self through the pain. Just leave, you'll be a happier person for it.

BB by choice and here to stay. Its only getting better.
    bungaboy and bitek like this.
    09-25-12 11:48 PM
    It would be nice if some of the apparent self-loathing 'bb users' in this thread/forum would add to the leaving bb group.

BB7 is awesome and I wouldn't ever get another iphone and getting an android will likely never be an option for me.

Why put your self through the pain. Just leave, you'll be a happier person for it.

BB by choice and here to stay. Its only getting better.
    oh the old cb take-it-or-leave-it user... no I will not. if I have a problem I'm not just going to jump ship after spending $700 on a pb (ya I was one of the first to buy... silly me right?), 9900 ain't cheap either. you want me gone? replace my units. otherwise, realise that this is a forum for blackberry users not simply blackberry lovers.
    richardat, Syrous44 and Rello like this.
    09-26-12 12:03 AM

Here's the numbers:

How sad is that?
    I would not consider this a statistic.
    09-26-12 01:13 AM
    maybe the people who post that they left are just trying to convince themselves that it was a good choice. and the people who came back are too busy enjoying the stuff that they like about blackberry that they dont feel the need to post
    09-26-12 02:12 AM
    Yeah, it's just like BB users who Don't post saying what is wrong with their phone...I remember there were Tons of threads on people complaining about why so many BB users do not post about the bricking of their device (though it was only a small percentage)...or something like that it's been too long to remember quite what they wanted, but you get what I mean.
    09-26-12 02:19 AM

Here's the numbers:

How sad is that?

Not sad at all.

Two thoughts -

First, these are self reports of an event. These kinds of stats are inherently flawed because people 1) choose when to self report 2) generally self report negative and not positive. Therefore, out of the smaller population of self reports, the majority will naturally self report in the negative.

Second, statistics, in order to be meaningful, have to go by a specified sample that is identified, uniform and catalogued. The threads contain answers to the original posters, therefore the sample is not clean, not controlled, not appropriated separated for identification, not controlled and not catalogued properly.

Your stats don't add up to anything meaningful. Except to say that at face value one has interested the forum more than the other, with no explanation as to why.

One last thought....stats are notorious for being meaningless in the wrong hands. This attempt at using those numbers to cause controversy proves that.
    09-26-12 05:25 AM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD