Hey, I want to buy a bold 9900 or tourch 9800 in South Korea but first want to Know if it will work when I go back to South Africa.

I think S.A is still using gsm, would a Korean bought blackberry be able to work on this system?

Thank you
    09-24-12 11:19 AM
    The short answer is yes it will work.

If you want a guarantee that it will be 100% functional for all features, you will need to provide to which carrier the hardware was originally locked and which carrier in South Africa you will use.
    622jw likes this.
    09-24-12 11:57 AM
    Yes. If you're going GSM-GSM and the phone is clean, it will definitely work. You will get at least 2G speeds. If you have the correct frequency bands for 3G, you may get that as well.
    622jw likes this.
    09-24-12 12:17 PM
    Hey, I want to buy a bold 9900 or tourch 9800 in South Korea but first want to Know if it will work when I go back to South Africa.

I think S.A is still using gsm, would a Korean bought blackberry be able to work on this system?

Thank you
    Yes it will - fully and completely incl. 3G
    622jw likes this.
    09-24-12 04:13 PM
    All BB's bought from Korea (SKT) are factory unlocked by default with minimum bloatware installed.
    raino and 622jw like this.
    09-24-12 09:24 PM
    All BB's bought from Korea (SKT) are factory unlocked by default with minimum bloatware installed.
    Just FYI, the "minimum bloatware" comment is misleading. All the OS's contain the same relative amount of so-called bloatware.

The more carrier-specific content I'm sure you mean is actually determined by the carrier's service books.
    So if his carrier throws a ton of bloatware onto their BB's, he'll likely end up with it after first time he reboots on his home network with his carrier's SIM installed.

Good tip on all SKT devices coming unlocked though!
    622jw likes this.
    09-25-12 05:43 AM
    Thanks for the help!
    09-25-12 07:14 AM
    Just FYI, the "minimum bloatware" comment is misleading. All the OS's contain the same relative amount of so-called bloatware.

The more carrier-specific content I'm sure you mean is actually determined by the carrier's service books.
    So if his carrier throws a ton of bloatware onto their BB's, he'll likely end up with it after first time he reboots on his home network with his carrier's SIM installed.

Good tip on all SKT devices coming unlocked though!
    You are right about "minimum bloatware" and carrier-specific. I should have been more specific. Once again all SKT BB's are factory unlocked and unbranded. The only branded thing is the initial boot up splashscreen.

However, the default language is Korean so it may be difficult for non-Korean users to set the language. -> to deal with this type "djsdj" (minus the quotes) on the universal search so you can go straight to language options.
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-26-12 08:23 PM
    Thanks for the help!
    You're very welcome. These Forums are a terrific resource.

By the way, welcome to CrackBerry!
    As soon as you have the chance, please update your profile to include your device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to assist you.

Hope everything works out for you. Good luck!
    soo007 likes this.
    09-27-12 07:29 AM
    ... the default language is Korean so it may be difficult for non-Korean users to set the language. -> to deal with this type "djsdj" (minus the quotes) on the universal search so you can go straight to language options.
    Good thinking. Cool tip!
    soo007 likes this.
    09-27-12 07:31 AM
    Good thinking. Cool tip!
    This posting is kind of like a go ahead and buy a BB from SKT if you have not yet done so.

BB's from SKT are bundled better than let say ATT or T-Mobile.
    1) The packaging is superb in comparison to the abovementioned US carriers. You will double think before thinking about throwing that box away.
    2) A second battery and standalone charger is also included. I think this is a Korean smartphone user thing since most smartphones users always carry a spare battery (for reasons that are too obvious).
    3) a premium wired headset, as opposed to the $19.99 standard wired headset
    4) better quality charger (the interchangeable plug version), as opposed to the cheaply-made US-plug-only version.
    5) unbranded, no stupid carrier logo at the bottom of the phone.
    6) since nobody in this country give a rat's ... you can easily pick up a whiteberry.
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-28-12 10:41 AM
    Thanks for the help!
    11-16-13 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD