I recently got a used 9930 (I switched to the Droid for a while and I hated it.)

The phone has been randomly shutting off and restarting on me. At first I thought it needs a day or two to stabilize itself because I downloaded the newest official software the day I got the phone. However, I have noticed that EVERY time I use the camera with flash it will shut off. Also, sometimes when I am using the twitter app, but that is hit or miss.

The previous owner said that he had this problem when he put a microSD card in the phone. So I took mine out but I am still having a problem. If this is not true, I would love to know so I can use the microSD card for music and pictures and such.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did I just get a defective phone (in which case I am SOL) or is there a fix for this? I did buy a brand new battery, but it is still being shipped.
    Last edited by jh21athlete; 09-24-12 at 08:20 AM.
    09-24-12 08:17 AM
    I would backup, then try wiping, then reinstalling the OS.
    jh21athlete likes this.
    09-24-12 10:05 PM
    Maybe a bad OS. As suggested by scuebydue, reinstall OS. Try the latest 649 official OS.
    jh21athlete likes this.
    09-25-12 03:05 AM
    Thanks for both of your feedback.

Really dumb question. How do I wipe the device? Is that done on through the options screens or through Desktop Manager?
    09-25-12 09:42 AM
    Look like a bad os.. try a different one.. to wipe an os, the easiest way is with bbsak.. "google it".. backup you data first with desktop manager

good luck..

Sent from my  Bold
    jh21athlete likes this.
    09-25-12 09:54 AM
    ok.

I wiped the device. Loaded the latest .649 official OS. Put in a brand new battery.

Still having issues with the phone shutting off and rebooting when I turn the camera on. Is there anything else I can try?
    09-27-12 08:33 AM
    Look like a memory leak.. did the phone still shut off without a sd card in? if yes, I think you have no luck..

Maybe shrink the os directly on the phone.. it will save a bit of space, but I don't think it will fix your problem.. nothing to lose to try..

Sent from my  Bold
    09-27-12 09:30 AM
    Make sure to load the os with Dm. Ota installs are okay for smaller files but I always install new Os with the Dm.
    09-27-12 12:10 PM
    Question for the OP:
    Why would you buy someone elses problem? You said the previous owner said he had the same issue but with his memory card so why bother buying it?
    09-27-12 01:02 PM
    You know, I had the same exact issue with my 9930. Except with mine, when it was really bad my phone would shut off if I shook it too hard. I figured something wasn't right inside.
    09-27-12 03:15 PM
    What the.... I didn't mean to send that yet.

Back to what I was saying. I took the battery cover off and noticed my SD card was kinda lose. I took that and the SIM card out. Made sure they were snug when I put them back in. Phone's been fine since. So, I assume that's what was causing my phone to turn off all the time.
    09-27-12 03:42 PM
    Question for the OP:
    Why would you buy someone elses problem? You said the previous owner said he had the same issue but with his memory card so why bother buying it?
    I didn't know until after I bought it. :/

--

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. The camera seems to be working okay (knock on wood) so hopefully things just needed a day to settle in.
    09-27-12 04:29 PM
    i am just thinking about it, verify if the housing is original, sometime people change the housing and don't tight the screws inside enough, so it's causing reboot or hardware problems..

Just a tough

Sent from my  Bold
    09-27-12 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD