Hi,

I have been thinking of this for some time that the enterprise customers will get BES10 for BB10, but what about BIS? Would it be available for BB10 devices?

In my opinion BIS is great for us consumers as it allows data compression, encryption of emails and BBM.

Plus, how exactly will BBM and email work on BB10 if there is no BIS?

I would like RIM to continue with BIS as it is one of the main reasons I use a BB.

Please answer my questions.

Thank You.
    09-23-12 03:34 PM
    I think the answer to this will be revealed come Tuesday.
    09-23-12 03:49 PM
    I'm sure BIS will still exist in some form or fashion. It is what controls email, BBM, and push technologies. I doubt those things would gey left behind.
    09-23-12 08:58 PM
    so, new infos?

For me, it's BIS which does make me unsure if I should buy a new BB device.

BIS is reducing my option with providers a lot and effectivly forceing me to more expensive carriers/plans.
    10-03-12 11:56 AM
    Every bb10 dev demo ive seen has the blackberry logo up by the signal bars

Now Im not sure if youve ever had a BIS service drop out, but on my phone (9860) i have and basically the blackberry logo disappears while the band and signal remain(3g, max bars) and I cant browse the internet or do diddly squat except make phone calls

So Im making an educated guess and say that BIS is well and alive with BB10
    10-03-12 04:41 PM
    From what I understand Rim cannot get bis to work with Qnx. So they say..carriers make money off data. bis compresses data...hello? On the other side of the coin Rim makes money off of bis so no bis equals a lot less cash for Rim. We will all know soon enough.
    10-03-12 05:49 PM
    What I understood is that "BIS" will remain for some "core" apps, BBM being first.
    This will allow carriers to provide "data-like" services without data plans (mid/low range plans), and to keep crucial aspects such as privacy/security alive for all plans.
    Now, for browsing it does not seem mandatory anymore.
    10-03-12 06:09 PM
    I deceided I will not buy any new BIS device.

BIS costs me more than a 64GB iphone (compared to highest priced BB ~550-600 EURO gross/incl. VAT etc.) with BIS fees (5-10 Euro per month) and a lot more because of reduced options with carriers and plans.

I even should get rid of my 9900. I could save monthly fees/better contract about 200 Euro per Year.

Sad, but true.

edit

for full BIS (here important email for me, not BBM (nobody do BBM with here anymore) only the four main carrier are an option. And the cheaper carrier using the network of one of these carrieres (I'm sure 100 are existing here in Germany) can't be used.

There have mostly no BIS option and if they have an option, it only provides (for 5-10 Euro, too) internet browsing, but no email or other things.

Still using my BB. But logical and objectively BB is to expensive and I should leave.

Won't be easy...

edit: its around 300 Euro, I looked at my bills and the .csv files I get with it and put all in Excel and wow, almost 300 Euro from 9/2011 to 9/2012 more because of BIS compared to a carrier/plan I know of which is a cheaper, but probably not the cheapest one...
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 10-07-12 at 09:13 AM.
    10-06-12 03:50 PM
    lagging system, double post
    10-06-12 03:50 PM
    Yeah I'm hoping BIS costs aren't continued, IMO that's something that's really hurt RIM (carriers can either eat it, which they don't want to do, or pass it on to the consumers, who also don't want to pay for it).
    10-06-12 05:30 PM
    I'm hoping the BB10 BIS will continue with BBM, Blackberry carrier email address, other 10 emails addresses and browser. I'd rather to have a data compression, so it's easier to use very small amount of data during overseas vacation using international data roaming eg: of using google maps for couple of minutes to find places then turn off data after done with using google map.

I'd rather to carry on to use my "Grandfathered Unlimited Blackberry BIS plan". Unfortunately I don't have a normal data plan added to my current blackberry plan... as it would be PAYG ($2 per mb). So I'll guess have to wait and see what comes out with BB10 for BIS users, if I have to add on "normal data plan" on to my grandfathered plan.
    10-06-12 10:04 PM
    for me the cost saving due to data compression is less the costs I have due to the BIS fee + less options with carriers.

For Roaming fees, there a different options, like using a SIM-Card from that country (which is again not simple with BBs due to BIS...)

At least in Europe (one good thing with EU) it is now a lot cheaper here to talk. Data still to expensive but I'm using a mobile hotspot for this. I can put every simcard in it and have cheap internet.

If there wouldn't be any technical issues, and all about BIS is directly communicated, paid etc. with RIM instead with the carrier.

The carrier would only provide the network etc.

It would be better for me.

It's not necessarily the 5� per month, the overall issue I have is I can't chose better carriers/contracts or prepaid plans etc.

Last year I probably paid 300 Euro (60 Euro for BIS fees) more than If I could chose a different carrier.

The theoretically less data usage I have with BIS for email, some webbrowsing is bought with higher prices for data plan (and voice plans)...

I love my BB but objectively, it's not cheap, no it is much to expensive here.

Reading the last infos about the quarterly results, the BB fee is making a huge part of the revenues so I'm sure they won't lose this.

But for me it is a huge issue.

I'm sure I am not alone. Especially when you are living in a country with less good BIS support.
    10-07-12 09:08 AM
    BB10 smartphones (alphabet series) will have 4G/LTE connectivity. It has been repeatedly confirmed by RIM via quarterly press releases.

BIS/BES will have additionally new high-value data plan for such BB10 smartphones.

Sent from my Curve 8520
    10-07-12 11:37 AM
    see it global.
    10-07-12 03:28 PM
    From what I understand Rim cannot get bis to work with Qnx. So they say..carriers make money off data. bis compresses data...hello? On the other side of the coin Rim makes money off of bis so no bis equals a lot less cash for Rim. We will all know soon enough.
    Actually, RIM only said that they couldn't get QNX to work with existing BES software (the reason they had to make BES 10 for the new BB 10 phones). They never specifically said anything about BIS. In fact, so far, there has been no official word directly out of Waterloo about the fate of BIS, one way or another. It's all been speculation at this point in the several threads throughout this forum asking this question. And one thread had a link supposedly quoting a RIM representative on a German mobile site. But I don't know how reliable that source was.

Maybe there is no use for BIS on BB 10. Maybe it's just reduced functionality. Maybe they plan to maintain full use. We really don't know for sure yet.
    10-09-12 12:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD