So i've been wanting to start writing apps for a while now and i've signed up for all the relevant sdk's and so on but. i'm totally lost i've little to no real programming experience but really want to get in to the game especially where here in England they're wanting more programming put in to the high school computer curriculum, which is good but like alot of teacher in my position i've no real experience because we've not had to do it before.
    With this in mind then i wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction of some tutorials or guide to app writing for the playbook of course that could help me out with this.
    09-21-12 02:50 AM
    hello and welcome.

Check out my blog. BlackBerry� 10 Cascades I talk about how to make apps using C++ for BB10. I also have some insight into WebWorks/AIR SDKs.

If you're still stuck, DM me. There are plenty of resources online. Go through all the tutorials at http://dev.blackberry.com. Then jump into the official forums. BlackBerry runs a very active GitHub. Clone source files from there.

If you're familiar with IRC join #BlackBerryDev on the freenode server.

best of luck to you!

-0-
    pkcable, Rello and belidzs like this.
    09-21-12 03:01 AM
    Great info.....BB10 has inspired me as well and I will definitely check out your blogs when I get a chance
    09-21-12 05:34 AM
    hello and welcome.

Check out my blog. BlackBerry� 10 Cascades I talk about how to make apps using C++ for BB10. I also have some insight into WebWorks/AIR SDKs.

If you're still stuck, DM me. There are plenty of resources online. Go through all the tutorials at http://dev.blackberry.com. Then jump into the official forums. BlackBerry runs a very active GitHub. Clone source files from there.

If you're familiar with IRC join #BlackBerryDev on the freenode server.

best of luck to you!

-0-
    Just a quick note to say that I like your blog and that I 100% agree with your Sept 18th entry about needing the app to have a well designed UI also. There are a lot of apps out there (free and paid) that functions really well but looks horrible. Even though it is written well, it makes me cringe to use it on this sexy, elegant hardware that is the PlayBook.

For those who are making an app (specifically paid apps), there are those of us (I don't think I am alone) that will judge a book by its cover, or in this case an app by its screenshot. If it looks "cheap" then I assume it is cheap (yes, I am sure I missed out on some great apps because of it too). Also, having screenshots are very important selling/downloading points!

Glad there are people interested in making native apps! I am really getting sick of downloading Android apps and having to delete them immediately after realizing it.
    09-23-12 11:35 AM
    Well, start of by learning a basic language such as VB.NET or Java (not JavaScript) . Then take C and eventually learn C++. Don't just start of taking C++ because it is going to mind fuk you once you open the book, especially for you because you have no experience.

As of now, i have finished with VB.net and half way though Java.
    09-23-12 12:11 PM
    Why would you learn c before learning c++?
    I'd recommend starting out by just learning some basic code, find a hello world sample in the language you want and see how it works. Once you're comfortable with some basic coding, start trying to get it to work on the PlayBook.
    Native is definitely the best thing to learn, but if after starting you feel discouraged by the huge amount of knowledge needed for c/c++, you can probably pick up html pretty fast.
    09-23-12 01:36 PM
    just going through the same thought process here (I have some scripting knowledge) and an idea for an app, but wonder when getting code signing keys do you have to have a company for these, or can you type private developer into the box?

sounds a silly question I know but better asking now than later.

next thing for me is to get the cascades sdk working on the pc and try some basic stuff.

sounds like fun
    09-23-12 01:44 PM
    Easiest is to use webworks + BBUI.js. I got my app up and running in 2 hours (took me a bit of time to work through the tokens and dev tools though).
    09-23-12 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD