Hi Guys - okay, my husband (against my own will) has ordered an Iphone5 via Sprint for me.

I am sooooo in love with my BB9930 and want to keep it .... is there anyway that I can keep my BB9930 for data services -- really just for email?

We can't afford another line on our Sprint account but I was wondering since my BB9930 came w/ a SIM card, could I go to like MetroPCS or Cricket just for data services???

Please help ...... I can't part with my BB9930

Thanks in advance,
    Chelle
    09-18-12 08:04 PM
    go with the 5...email is just as good if not better
    09-18-12 08:28 PM
    Tell your husband thanks but no thanks!
    09-18-12 08:38 PM
    Email is better? I hope.

But I REALLY want to keep my blackberry .... I wasn't eligible for an upgrade so I bought the phone at retail price ... it hurt but I REALLY wanted it .... now I was wondering if I can take the sprint bb9930 somewhere and just have data services for email and/or internet.

Husband preordered and already paid ... just waiting... He's an Android man so he doesn't understand the blackberry thing...

help
    09-18-12 08:55 PM
    Wife has an iPhone, and she's quite pleased with it. But for me, the lack of a physical keyboard is a non-starter.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    09-18-12 08:58 PM
    Buy the new iPod, it has the same big screen as the iphone 5 and all the other features.

You will save money and you can keep your blackberry.
    09-18-12 09:02 PM
    OP, this is actually a sensible advice in your particular situation.
    I have been a quarter century Apple user, deep into their eco system. Nevertheless, my daily driver is the 9900 for various reasons I posted elsewhere in the past.
    If you are hanging onto mainly for email reason, iPhone email is much better. Emails come in faster than BB, very legible and no truncated mails.
    However, you seem to be emotionally attached to the 9900. So, why don't you keep it that way, and use the new 5 as a WiFi only iPod. If you use a SIM card adapter, you can switch between 2 devices freely, if you want. But iPhone 5 is too good to pass. It's far more than an email device.
    You mentioned the access to internet. Internet viewing in BB is no match to iPhone.
    I am not bashing the BB, but in my honest opinion, in your situation, 5 is the choice. YMMV.
    09-18-12 11:01 PM
    Emails come in faster than BB.
    based on my gmail experience.
    09-18-12 11:06 PM
    OP, this is actually a sensible advice in your particular situation.
    I have been a quarter century Apple user, deep into their eco system. Nevertheless, my daily driver is the 9900 for various reasons I posted elsewhere in the past.
    If you are hanging onto mainly for email reason, iPhone email is much better. Emails come in faster than BB, very legible and no truncated mails.
    OP - I would not follow the advice of these users, especially from anyone who is so quick to tell you that the iPhone's email is just as good if not better than BlackBerry.

Nobody is disputing that the iPhone is not a great platform for apps, music, video, games, and browsing. But it's not uniquely suited to text messaging and email. BB is an amazing platform not only for email, but also social media and many of the same things iPhone is considered good for. If you need something for email and you prefer BB, you should stick with that and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. The majority of smartphones are used for voice calls, sms, emails and internet -- all of which are handled superbly on even a 5+ year old BB.

If you don't want the iPhone and wish to keep your 9930, you should express that to your husband and he should hopefully respect the decision you have made.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    09-18-12 11:24 PM
    I have owned a ton of phones from blackberrys to android to iPhone and frankly iPhone does have the best email especially if you receive any HTML email.. I really want to see Rim do well but they are so far behind at this current time!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    09-18-12 11:59 PM
    Are you serious @noaim ? RIM is behind in email (one of the features that almost everyone agrees Blackberries do better than the competition). I can't be shocked however. You own a iphone 4 and 4s. Marginal upgrades, sorry "innovations", seem to be what you are into.
    09-19-12 12:16 AM
    I have owned a ton of phones from blackberrys to android to iPhone and frankly iPhone does have the best email especially if you receive any HTML email.. I really want to see Rim do well but they are so far behind at this current time!

Iphone has terrible email, I have a 4s and an ipad 2 and in order to get my email I have to manually refresh it even though its set to 15 minute push. BTW Push is a joke, I still use icloud but even that is slow as hel1.

Blackberry > Everything else in regards to email.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-19-12 12:25 AM
    Get a new husband...less controlling is a good start.
    09-19-12 12:33 AM
    dump 9930, change is hard;
    09-19-12 12:40 AM
    Best suggestion I've heard so far is getting the new iTouch. It will do everything the iPhone can do for far cheaper, except make calls and text, which the 9930 does just fine.
    Besides, you could also use the wifi hotspot feature if you don't want to be tied to actual wifi.
    Furthermore, the iPhone5 will be very difficult to obtain, and will cost you a new contract.
    andy957 and jegs2 like this.
    09-19-12 02:25 AM
    Take your bb9930 and open up an account with Page Plus. It will run on the Verizon network but probably only 2G? Page Plus has a lot of really awsome plans. Kitty Wireless is one of their distributors (and an awsome one at that) and they have all kinds of info on how to switch, plans, forums etc. I have my Sprint Epic4 g on Page plus as well as a BB9930 from Verizon. Cheap plans. I also have my bb9900 on Tmobile. But if ya need or want to hang onto your bb9930, then Page Plus would be ideal. One of their plans is to put some money into the account and your minutes do not expire for 120 days (unless you use them up of course). They also have monthly plans starting at $12.00 per month. Seeing that your 9930 is a Sprint phone, you will have to get it flashed to the Page Plus setup and Kitty wireless has all the into and the recommended flasher on their site.
    09-19-12 06:47 AM
    I think you need an ipod touch. And stay with the blackberry

09-19-12 07:11 AM
    Iphone has terrible email, I have a 4s and an ipad 2 and in order to get my email I have to manually refresh it even though its set to 15 minute push. BTW Push is a joke, I still use icloud but even that is slow as hel1.

Blackberry > Everything else in regards to email.

I understood it that way that the iPhone displays html emails better than the BlackBerry which is true. I don't think he/she intended to say that the whole email system is not good on any BlackBerry. Correct me if I'm wrong please ovi.
    09-19-12 07:31 AM
    Use that POS iPhone 5 as a paperweight, problem solved Ok for real, play with the iPhone 5 and see for yourself if it is worth the switch. Me personally, BlackBerry all the way!
    09-19-12 07:40 AM
    Use that POS iPhone 5 as a paperweight, problem solved Ok for real, play with the iPhone 5 and see for yourself if it is worth the switch. Me personally, BlackBerry all the way!
    ^^^ Best advice yet, since her husband ALREADY BOUGHT THE IPHONE.

Try it, you might like it. If you don't, you'll still be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it.
    09-19-12 07:57 AM
    I have an iPhone, iPad3, Samsung S3 but one thing for sure I will never give up my BB for anything. Been a user of BB for the past 8yrs now.
    09-19-12 08:17 AM
    Hi Guys - okay, my husband (against my own will) has ordered an Iphone5 via Sprint for me.
    I'm still laughing about this one. Conjures up images of dungeons, and wrist restraints, and ...well, let your mind wander a bit.
    gtamhankar and jegs2 like this.
    09-19-12 08:23 AM
    Buy the new iPod, it has the same big screen as the iphone 5 and all the other features.

You will save money and you can keep your blackberry.
    I think that's the best advice here.
    09-19-12 08:24 AM

I am sooooo in love with my BB9930 and want to keep it .... is there anyway that I can keep my BB9930 for data services -- really just for email?

We can't afford another line on our Sprint account but I was wondering since my BB9930 came w/ a SIM card, could I go to like MetroPCS or Cricket just for data services???

Please help ...... I can't part with my BB9930

Thanks in advance,
    Chelle
    Chelle,

You've received a nice variety of opinions (that's all they are). There is no "black & white" answer about which has the better email system. In my opinion, Blackberry email is better than the iPhone in most ways. However, I do have to admit that the iPhone email is better in some ways. I carry a BB 9900 (personal device) and iPhone 4S (office issued), so I use both daily.

As the iPhone 5 is ordered & paid for, my suggestion would be to try the iPhone 5 on it's own for a week or two and see how it meets your needs. If it does so, great. If not, then you can look at a plan on the side for your 9930.

Listen to the advice offered, but make your own decision. Hope this helps. ~ecm
    09-19-12 09:17 AM

Which Blackberry did you have?

My 9930 handles HTML emails with no problems.
    09-19-12 09:29 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD