New Playbook. What are the first set of apps and games to download?

I hear of air browser and ghost commander?
    09-17-12 09:21 AM
    Modern combat 2 heavily needed
    09-17-12 09:32 AM
    MC2 not available in app world anymore.
    09-17-12 09:36 AM
    Apps:

1. The CB App
    2. Blaq (Twitter Client)
    3. Evernote
    4. Kindle App (sideloaded)
    5. Imdb App (Sideloaded)
    6. Scrapbook
    7. Groovynotes
    8. Pulse
    9. Hey DJ! Pacemaker Lite
    10. Scoremobile

Games:

1. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
    2. The Bard's Tale
    3. Modern Combat 3
    4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    5. Asphalt 6
    6. Dead Space
    7. Samurai 2 : Vengeance
    8. Lets Golf 2
    9. Plants vs Zombies
    10. Sketch w friends
    09-17-12 09:55 AM
    Air browser and ghost commander are both file browsers that come in very handy for organizing your files. Air is very limited, but can be used to create folders (say, for organizing your pictures in the pictures folder) and has limited funtionality otherwise. Ghost is full featured and can be used for practically everything else (just don't create any folders with it). Any other must have apps depend entirely what you want to do with your PB.
    09-17-12 10:01 AM
    Air browser and ghost commander are both file browsers that come in very handy for organizing your files. Air is very limited, but can be used to create folders (say, for organizing your pictures in the pictures folder) and has limited funtionality otherwise. Ghost is full featured and can be used for practically everything else (just don't create any folders with it). Any other must have apps depend entirely what you want to do with your PB.
    What about Files and Folders? Is that full functionality with ability to create folders?
    Innovatology likes this.
    09-17-12 10:17 AM
    Just out of interest, what's the issue with creating folders using ghost commander?
    09-17-12 10:36 AM
    What about Files and Folders? Is that full functionality with ability to create folders?
    You can create folders with it, and it has full functionality (though somewhat different functionally than Ghost) Its only downside is that it's a paid app- the others are free. It wouldn't hurt to have all three.
    09-17-12 10:38 AM
    Apps:

1. The CB App
    2. Blaq (Twitter Client)
    3. Evernote
    4. Kindle App (sideloaded)
    5. Imdb App (Sideloaded)
    6. Scrapbook
    7. Groovynotes
    8. Pulse
    9. Hey DJ! Pacemaker Lite
    10. Scoremobile

Games:

1. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
    2. The Bard's Tale
    3. Modern Combat 3
    4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    5. Asphalt 6
    6. Dead Space
    7. Samurai 2 : Vengeance
    8. Lets Golf 2
    9. Plants vs Zombies
    10. Sketch w friends
    Thank you! Al Jazeera also has a very high quality app for Playbook. Anyone know what's the best pdf reader with copy paste function.
    09-17-12 11:26 AM
    You can create folders with it, and it has full functionality (though somewhat different functionally than Ghost) Its only downside is that it's a paid app- the others are free. It wouldn't hurt to have all three.
    Files and Folders is great if you use online services, it works with Dropbox, Box, SugarSync, Google, and in the latest version they just added SkyDrive.

For games, I like Plants vs. Zombies, The Bard's Tale, Air Attack, and Rune Raiders.

MorphWiz Play is a terrific music app developed by Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater.

If you use them on other platforms there are PlayBook apps for Evernote, SpringPad (called OrganizeMe!) and Pocket (formerly Read It Later, the PlayBook app is called ReadOnTouch Pro).
    Last edited by bdegrande; 09-17-12 at 11:29 AM.
    Innovatology likes this.
    09-17-12 11:26 AM
    Another one for Files and Folders here.
    Kindle app sideloaded works well.

Games:
    GOF2 HD is my fave by far, with Great Little War Game a close second.
    Innovatology likes this.
    09-17-12 11:34 AM
    Anyone know what's the best pdf reader with copy paste function.
    PDF Reader: Buy Pdf Reader - Download Pdf Reader - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    09-17-12 12:00 PM
    Just out of interest, what's the issue with creating folders using ghost commander?
    Ghost is an android app that runs in the android player. For some reason, if you create folders with Ghost (or, seemingly, with any other android file browser) any files that you put into the folder will become invisible to all other apps and will be impossible to open while in that folder. So, unless you want to intentionally hide certain files, use a native app like Air Browser or Files and Folders to create folders.
    09-17-12 01:03 PM
    Ghost is an android app that runs in the android player. For some reason, if you create folders with Ghost (or, seemingly, with any other android file browser) any files that you put into the folder will become invisible to all other apps and will be impossible to open while in that folder. So, unless you want to intentionally hide certain files, use a native app like Air Browser or Files and Folders to create folders.
    Well I've used it for creating a folder (not just now, some days back). In sdcard/video I created a folder called House, and rather predictably put some House AVIs in there, and the video app (native) on the PlayBook sees them and plays them fine? (and all would be perfect in Wongsky towers if the video player could remember the last played position or save bookmarks)

I am running the beta PlayBook OS, though, if that makes any difference?
    09-17-12 01:19 PM
    Well I've used it for creating a folder (not just now, some days back). In sdcard/video I created a folder called House, and rather predictably put some House AVIs in there, and the video app (native) on the PlayBook sees them and plays them fine? (and all would be perfect in Wongsky towers if the video player could remember the last played position or save bookmarks)

I am running the beta PlayBook OS, though, if that makes any difference?
    Well, I'm running the newest beta too, and I just tried what you did and it worked for me. I thought maybe it was because you made a directory in SDcard was the reason why it worked, so I then tried creating a folder in the PB media section and that worked also. So, maybe the problem has been resolved in the newest beta, since it existed in the previous beta and I'm pretty sure in OS 2.0. Maybe someone running something other that 2.1.0.840 can test this issue in their OS.
    09-17-12 01:52 PM
    Problem with making folders in android apps is definitely in 2.01.358
    09-17-12 04:06 PM
    Everyone needs Chimpact.
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    09-17-12 05:45 PM
    What the happened to mc2 and asphalt 6!!!!
    09-19-12 03:49 PM
    A lot of good apps posted.

I would have to point out and add:

Bookreader - for reading .mobi ebooks
    Comics - for reading .cbr/.cbz files
    Many Many great games available for PB so I recommend installing PCSX-PB - a PlayStationOne emulator for old school games. Very solid.
    09-19-12 06:27 PM
    What the happened to mc2 and asphalt 6!!!!
    Yeah I'm looking for those 2 too, I was hoping someone would post a mirror link for it.
    09-20-12 08:14 AM
    My opinion

Files and Folders is an excellent file managing tool
    Blaq is a stylish twitter client
    Book Reader is the best reader available for Playbook
    Poynt and Antair Nightstand are essential to me

Groovy Notes is a decent note taking application, Evernote was until recently unusable on the Playbook

I would certainly not recommended any Android apps as it has been my experience that they are with a couple of exceptions very poor substitutes, if they work at all.

Bridge is the single most essential tool for Playbook
    09-20-12 07:59 PM
    Get great little war game its the bomb hehe
    09-20-12 09:42 PM
    If you like RTS games, I suggest Great Little War Game and Starfront: Collision HD.
    09-21-12 12:11 AM
    Thanks guys, so far I got MC3, MC2, Bard's Tale, Nova 2, Asphalt 6, Hockey!, 9MM

Pdf Reader, Battery guru, Ghost Commander, AIR Browser, Al Jazeera, WeatherEye, Speedtest.

Now, I'm just contemplating on whether to buy Files and folders because I don't use ANY cloud storage as I have a very slow wi-fi(3rd world problems)
    09-21-12 01:55 AM
    I see votes for "Book Reader"

Is that "Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle Books" (Untangled Development)

How does it compare with

PlayEpub Book Reader (Jesus Iglesias)

TIA

Terry
    09-21-12 03:18 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD