View Poll Results: Do you feel RIM should stay with the legacy product lines?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes -- those names are too iconic to throw away

7 20.00%
  • No -- new names are needed to attract customers who had left Blackberry

17 48.57%
  • Sorta -- adding version numbers (e.g. Bold 10) would accomplish both

11 31.43%
    In his 10 things we're looking forward to post a few weeks ago, Crackberry Kevin suggested RIM might introduce the new BB10 phones leveraging the Bold and Torch product lines. The argument was that those names are so well known that there is added value in the continuity. Other's felt RIM should make a clean break from the old line names to help customers get that the BB10 phones are something new. What do you think?
    09-15-12 10:14 PM
    Calling the slab touchscreen devices both torch and curve was a strategic error. curve = low cost qwerty, torch = slider, bold =top-tier qwerty, somethingelse = full screen slab, possibly a separate brand for low- vs. high-end.

I think RIM should keep those three brands, as well as a new brand for full touch. I would use Storm, just as a middle-finger to all the critics: "BB10 full touchscreen devices are so effing awesome we can call it the Storm and we don't effing careif you BGR dopes compare it to the 9550. No matter what you say, no matter what it's called, it ROCKS! You know it, we know it. The end."

But seriously, yes, a new brand for the L, and Bold for the N, and Torch for the rumoured M.

How will a new Curve differ from a bold? Slower processor i.e. jittery? Lower res screen i.e. jaggy? no LTE, or Wifi, Or bluetooth i.e. junky? going downmarket is the puzzle I cant solve, unless they just reposition the BB7 devices as the "entry level" ones. I've never really looked at low-end android devices so I don't know what the compromises are.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 09-15-12 at 10:37 PM.
    09-15-12 10:28 PM
    Clean break is best.

The only name RIM should keep is "Blackberry", all other model names should be gone. It's best to distance the new phones as far away from the old ones as possible.

In fact, I think it's a big mistake calling the OS BB10... it just sounds like an upgraded version of the old OS. Version number differences aren't enough.
    09-15-12 10:32 PM
    I'm in the "sorta" camp. I think Bold is still a solid brand and merits retaining for top end models. I like "Bold Type" and "Bold Touch" to differentiate the top end keyboard and full-touch models.
    09-15-12 10:38 PM
    To be honest, I think they should just call them the L-Series and N-Series. It's quick to remember and sounds classy (the way luxury brands name their cars). I know those are just the leak names or whatever but I like them. And they aren't confusing to consumers.

When people ask what phone I have, doesn't BlackBerry Bold 9930 sound too long and confusing? Most consumers would be lost. Start over and keep it simple.
    danimalchil likes this.
    09-16-12 06:56 AM
    Calling the slab touchscreen devices both torch and curve was a strategic error. curve = low cost qwerty, torch = slider, bold =top-tier qwerty, somethingelse = full screen slab, possibly a separate brand for low- vs. high-end.

I think RIM should keep those three brands, as well as a new brand for full touch. I would use Storm, just as a middle-finger to all the critics: "BB10 full touchscreen devices are so effing awesome we can call it the Storm and we don't effing careif you BGR dopes compare it to the 9550. No matter what you say, no matter what it's called, it ROCKS! You know it, we know it. The end."

But seriously, yes, a new brand for the L, and Bold for the N, and Torch for the rumoured M.

How will a new Curve differ from a bold? Slower processor i.e. jittery? Lower res screen i.e. jaggy? no LTE, or Wifi, Or bluetooth i.e. junky? going downmarket is the puzzle I cant solve, unless they just reposition the BB7 devices as the "entry level" ones. I've never really looked at low-end android devices so I don't know what the compromises are.
    I agree that the torch name is not all that iconic and in RIM's rush to dilute the brand they pretty much killed the 9860/50 before it even had a chance. Torch is a new brand introduced in the midst of RIMs decline. It's not worth keeping.

Curve and Bold though are brands that emerged in RIMs heyday and both brands have had some of the most iconic phones in the history of smart phones. They have heritage and appeal to allot of former BB users who have fond memories of their old curve or their old bold that might be drawn back to check out the new one.
    09-16-12 07:11 AM
    I think RIM should maintain those lines, especially the Bold..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-16-12 07:18 AM
    Bold - it's an iconic name. Whenever I think BlackBerry I think of the bold line. Gotta stay!
    Curve - also an iconic name. It stood for budget QWERTY phones. Very helpful. Keep it!
    Storm - WTF is this? The Storm 1 and Storm 2 were absolute cack from what I read. Gotta go.
    Torch - was a very solid device when it first came out, it read Slider BlackBerry to me. Then they diluted the brand with the 9850/9860. Get rid.
    09-16-12 08:09 AM
    I think since the OS and phones are unlike older bb's new names are needed for a new OS. Let the old bb stigma die.
    09-16-12 08:36 AM
    I say lose the names and take a page from Mercedes-Benz (C-Class, E-Class, M-Class, S-Class, etc... with appropriate numbering for further distinction)

If BB10 is a new platform with new devices nothing from the older devices, including names, should be carried forward. Turn the page completely.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-16-12 12:25 PM
    I think they should do away with the old brands. Heins said that nothing from BB7 is present in BB10. So why carry over the names?

Besides, I don't think the present device names would fit in with the planned L-Series, M-Series, and N-Series devices. From all the info, we've gathered so far, it seems that the first BB10 device will be named something starting with an L. I like this new naming convention anyway. It sounds "classier".

I also think that it's symbolic for RIM to distance its new devices from the old ones. It shouldn't risk marring the new BB10 devices from launch by naming them after devices that have had bad previous history. For instance, a customer might say "I had to replace my last Bold because the OS kept crashing. I'm never using another one again!" That person is now not going to look at anything named "Bold" again, despite the fact that the new Bold is absolutely nothing like the old one.

I, for one, am looking forward to the L-, M-, and N-Series devices!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-16-12 01:17 PM
    I lean towards the notion of keeping the names because they are in fact iconic; consider the possibility that RIM does license BB10 to other device manufacturers, the names Bold, Torch, and Curve would still, as they always have, represent a genuine RIM device as opposed to RIM giving them new names to get thrown into the shuffle of whatever names other hardware manufacturers decide to use for their version of the 'Berry.
    09-16-12 01:25 PM
    i said sorta, the BOLD line of phones is the only line that they should keep the torch line never really did to well and if kind of known as a slider, not many know it as the full touch.

that being said BB10 is a new live of devices it might be better to give then a whole new line of names with a totally different sales pitch, the "Be Bold" was good for BBOS but BB10 is new and fresh it is touch scentric so maybe "get Flowing" since BB10 will offer the flow features in the whole OS
    09-16-12 01:26 PM
    I think they should do away with the old brands. Heins said that nothing from BB7 is present in BB10. So why carry over the names?

Besides, I don't think the present device names would fit in with the planned L-Series, M-Series, and N-Series devices. From all the info, we've gathered so far, it seems that the first BB10 device will be named something starting with an L. I like this new naming convention anyway. It sounds "classier".

I also think that it's symbolic for RIM to distance its new devices from the old ones. It shouldn't risk marring the new BB10 devices from launch by naming them after devices that have had bad previous history. For instance, a customer might say "I had to replace my last Bold because the OS kept crashing. I'm never using another one again!" That person is now not going to look at anything named "Bold" again, despite the fact that the new Bold is absolutely nothing like the old one.

I, for one, am looking forward to the L-, M-, and N-Series devices!
    "Bold" is still a decent brand for Blackberry, and is still in use in their current "Be Bold" slogan. As I say, they could do "Bold Type" for the keyboard model and "Bold Touch" for the full touch version. Not only does that leverage a model name that has meant "top-of-the-line" for years, that extends the notion that the full-touch experience is right up there with the keyboard.

After that, it's wide open. "Curve" maybe still has a little equity... "Torch" is kind of tragic, since it was meant to celebrate the improved browsing experience of the full-touch models but RIM never really did a good job of pointing that out (the Torch name came from the company RIM bought out for their excellent webkit mobile browser).

And personally, I think keeping away from model numbers (at least to start) is the way to go.
    09-16-12 01:36 PM
    how about the name BlackBerry Keys and BlackBerry Touch, simple and to the point.

if soemone says "what phone is that", "oh its a touch" or "oh its a keys" like "oh its an iPhone" the generic word Phone is in there liek the generic word Touch, sayiong you have a touch screen phone is like saying you have a BB touch :P and Keys just sounds cool
    09-16-12 01:50 PM
    "Bold" is still a decent brand for Blackberry, and is still in use in their current "Be Bold" slogan. As I say, they could do "Bold Type" for the keyboard model and "Bold Touch" for the full touch version. Not only does that leverage a model name that has meant "top-of-the-line" for years, that extends the notion that the full-touch experience is right up there with the keyboard.

After that, it's wide open. "Curve" maybe still has a little equity... "Torch" is kind of tragic, since it was meant to celebrate the improved browsing experience of the full-touch models but RIM never really did a good job of pointing that out (the Torch name came from the company RIM bought out for their excellent webkit mobile browser).

And personally, I think keeping away from model numbers (at least to start) is the way to go.
    I understand what you mean, but I think that RIM needs to really stress the point that BB10 is really nothing like previous BlackBerry devices. BB10 signifies a new RIM, and I feel that everything they do needs to reflect that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    09-16-12 03:00 PM

I like the idea of Bold Touch and Bold Type. They're simple and clearly identify their intended market segments. Curve might have some equity, but I still question whether targeting the price-sensitive market is still a wise strategy for RIM at this point. Aside from heavy competition from Android at that segment, lower-end phones typically result in a sub-par experience with the same OS, which can undermine overall brand equity.
    09-16-12 03:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD