Hi everyone! I got my 9900 a couple of weeks ago and I'm just thrilled about it... This is a great phone... Except for the battery life, which I can't seem to make last one entire day, even though I'm always closing every unused app... Does anybody have any tips on how to make this go away... Some portable recharger or so?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Doctorberry; 09-15-12 at 05:31 AM.
    09-15-12 05:29 AM
    Search tool is your friend..... many posts giving you all the info you need!
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    09-15-12 05:42 AM
    Search tool is your friend..... many posts giving you all the info you need!
    Oh! Off course, I'm sorry
    09-15-12 06:26 AM
    obvious answer to your question would be minimum use your phone , just kidding get a charging pod at your office/work place and also close all unwanted apps running in the background.
    andy957 likes this.
    09-15-12 07:03 AM
    Extended batteries can also help you last the day, or a second battery as a spare.
    09-15-12 07:12 AM
    you can get yourself a portable charger or just an extra JM1 battery, or an extended battery that has a higher capacity than the JM1.

I got the same problem, and I decided to get myself another JM1 battery..
    Now my battery life problem is solved, I'm always powerless, never have to charge my bb(instead charging the JM1)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-15-12 07:30 AM
    I dont know what OS you have for your 9900 but my 9930 has a pretty good battery life. My OS also provides application monitoring and battery saving. These work very well. See the screenshots.

But you'll pretty much have to take a charger with you or get a WiFi monitor that turns on only when you're at specific location. There's one or two good ones out there in App World.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    09-15-12 07:36 AM
    I'm with walt63, the only difference is I have my battery saver set to always be on. I have had no performance problems and my phone battery lasts all day and into the evening easily.
    09-15-12 10:59 AM
    Lower your backlight brightness
    drop your backlight timeout
    turn off wifi, BT and NFC when not using them.
    Ensure battery monitor is on
    Stop watching dirty videos
    and press and hold the BB menu button to see whats running in the background and kill any non essential apps you may have. Simply hitting 'end' doesn't turn them off.
    andy957 likes this.
    09-15-12 11:47 AM
    Thank you very much everybody! These tips will certainly help a lot... I already press the BB button to close down apps, the only connections I have on are the carrier and the wi-fi and since this morning I've lowered the backlight to 10%... I really can't tell the diference on the screen, but the battery life has certainly improved... Next I'll browse some of the extra batteries you told me about and will download an app to track the battery life.

Thanks again!
    09-15-12 12:25 PM
    I don't think that you have mentioned which OS you are running.

If you are up for giving it a try the BL Hybrid OS's for the 9900 are very very good.

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...evices-736988/
    09-15-12 12:35 PM
    The screen brightness will make a big difference. That's what eats most of the power.

GPS apps are also bad at munching down the battery.
    09-15-12 12:50 PM
    No matter what you try the battery will always suck. The only thing you can do is buy a portable charger.
    09-15-12 03:51 PM
    I have OS 7.1.0.580 and my battery life is great. I talk, text, tweet and web brows and I can make it through a day with no problems. I've had my 9930 since Feb so I'm pretty good at budgeting my battery.
    09-15-12 05:35 PM
    The screen brightness made all the difference! Thank you all very much! I've used the phone just as I usually do and I still have 50% of battery life :P

Oh! And the app I'm using to track my battery life is the free version of "battery booster"... don't know if the savings in battery life is only from the screen brightness or also from this...

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about software and don't feel very comfortable in switching OS's... I don't know if this helps, but I'm currently with the latest OS from RIM... just this morning I tried updating it and it said that it was up to date...

Again, thanks for all the help

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-15-12 06:43 PM
    Buy the Mugan 1500mah battery. No new back case needed or decoder and once you condition the battery it works awesome. I'm making it 2-3 days before I need a charge and I use my 9930 constantly. Do a search n the Mugen 1500 and it'll take you to the thread that had the website. no BS. I ordered it and it came when it was supposed to. Best battery move yet.
    09-15-12 07:00 PM
    I usually throw it on the charger for an hour at some point during my work shift. That always puts me near full and I am good until get to the house
    09-16-12 01:46 AM
    Buy the Mugan 1500mah battery. No new back case needed or decoder and once you condition the battery it works awesome. I'm making it 2-3 days before I need a charge and I use my 9930 constantly. Do a search n the Mugen 1500 and it'll take you to the thread that had the website. no BS. I ordered it and it came when it was supposed to. Best battery move yet.

What do you mean with "once I condition the battery"? Isn't it the same size as the battery on my 9900? I did a search as you said on youtube and I could only find a video from a mugen battery for the bold 9000. It needs a different back door because of the extra size of the battery. I wouldn't like that on my 9900

09-16-12 04:59 AM
    I'm sorry, but I don't know much about software and don't feel very comfortable in switching OS's... I don't know if this helps, but I'm currently with the latest OS from RIM... just this morning I tried updating it and it said that it was up to date...
    You're actually only using the latest OS released by your carrier, and not the latest OS from RIM.
    Your phone and Desktop Manager will only search for software released by your carrier, which is usually outdated compared to the latest OS currently available for the device.
    Software updates are released for a reason, so don't feel uncomfortable in switching. Have a search of this site for instructions on how to do it. It's a simple task and there are plenty of tutorials.
    09-16-12 05:09 AM
    If you're not comfortable upgrading the OS, my advice is to switch to EDGE (2G) for a while (a week or so), and see if there's an improvement. that tripled my battery life
    09-16-12 06:10 AM
    If you're not comfortable upgrading the OS, my advice is to switch to EDGE (2G) for a while (a week or so), and see if there's an improvement. that tripled my battery life

I tried that out, my battery got about 2 extra hours.. and I must say 2G isnt bad at all.. browsing speed is decent, opening twitter/facebook, and sending BBM's arent so bad as I thought it would be.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-16-12 07:50 AM
    What do you mean with "once I condition the battery"? Isn't it the same size as the battery on my 9900? I did a search as you said on youtube and I could only find a video from a mugen battery for the bold 9000. It needs a different back door because of the extra size of the battery. I wouldn't like that on my 9900

Hey Doc, wrong search. Search Crackberry.com and you will find a whole thread on the MUGEN 1500mah and NOT the 3000mah on Youtube. "Conditioning the battery" are instructions that came with the battery when it arrived. I chose to follow the instructions and it worked great. I don't have to charge my battery, the MUGEN 1500, until generally after 2 days. Although the 1500 battery is slightly larger, it is only a small difference and the back door closes just the same as the JM-1. So, no new back door needed, no youtube needed and no decoder needed. Take a new look Doc.....
    09-16-12 01:44 PM
    No matter what you try the battery will always suck. The only thing you can do is buy a portable charger.
    I can't agree with you. The battery _did_ suck when I first got my phone, but after following the battery saving tips I found on this forum plus upgrading my OS to 7.1 my battery life is excellent. I also bought the Mugen extended 1500 battery which is very good.

Is the 9900 as good as my 9700 battery life was? No. But I always get at least a full day+ out of a full charge, and that's all I need.
    09-16-12 08:18 PM
    Hey Doc, wrong search. Search Crackberry.com and you will find a whole thread on the MUGEN 1500mah and NOT the 3000mah on Youtube. "Conditioning the battery" are instructions that came with the battery when it arrived. I chose to follow the instructions and it worked great. I don't have to charge my battery, the MUGEN 1500, until generally after 2 days. Although the 1500 battery is slightly larger, it is only a small difference and the back door closes just the same as the JM-1. So, no new back door needed, no youtube needed and no decoder needed. Take a new look Doc.....

Hey
    thank you for your tips, finally finished the reviews on the mugen 1500 and it seems really promising! Now I'll certainly consider one... as soon as I notice that I'm not using my phone as much as I need because of the battery issue, I'll order it right away!

Thanks

09-16-12 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD