I just got a new BB 9900 unlocked from amazon. When I got my line with Tmobile, the signal only goes up to EDGE. I called Tmobile and the lady said that if it was an international/unlocked phone, then it would still run at HSPA+ speeds but it would only show EDGE.

I feel I am being lied to. Am I right or is the Tmobile rep right, because otherwise I'm going to AT&T.
    09-14-12 10:42 PM
    Well, go under network, and check the settings. See if 3G, 2G and H+ are there
    If not, it would be rather odd.
    09-14-12 10:55 PM
    What 3G bands are on the device?
    09-15-12 05:29 AM
    You can get that information on the Options->Device->About Device Versions. Look for the line indicating 3G/H+ Bands.
    09-15-12 06:13 AM
    Under network settings it only shows 2g and 3G. Under bands it says 3G bands 1, 2, 5, 6.

I am using version 7.1 bundle 1716 (v7.1.0.569, platform 5.1.0.415)
    09-15-12 08:45 AM
    I know you will get H+ on Rogers with those bands. ATT should produce the same H+ as well as Rogers and ATT use the same bands.
    09-15-12 09:05 AM
    Under network settings it only shows 2g and 3G. Under bands it says 3G bands 1, 2, 5, 6.

I am using version 7.1 bundle 1716 (v7.1.0.569, platform 5.1.0.415)
    You aren't going to get 3G on that device on TMobile (unless you are in one of the few areas that have recently been converted due to the failed merger with AT&T).

If that is important to you, then you should switch to AT&T or return the device and get a device with compatible bands.
    09-15-12 09:39 AM
    You aren't going to get 3G on that device on TMobile (unless you are in one of the few areas that have recently been converted due to the failed merger with AT&T).

If that is important to you, then you should switch to AT&T or return the device and get a device with compatible bands.
    So if I switch to AT&T I should see H+? Because I don't see H+ anywhere on the network settings. I don't know if that has to do with software updates or if it is network related.
    09-15-12 12:50 PM

Exactly right.

OP, you will need band 4 to get 3G and "4G" on T-Mobile. The CS person lied to you.

If you switch to AT&T, you will get 3G, H+, HSPA+, "4G", whatever they're calling it
    09-15-12 02:45 PM
    First of all, I thank all the posters for your helpful answers. I did want to know if the CS lady was lying, one thing is saying you "don't know", the other is flat out saying speculations as facts.

I have read the same thing all over, I need to switch to AT&T. I am only getting EDGE on Tmobile (I selected the 3G only option and I just got SOS or no signal at all), and that just doesn't cut it.

I will be going to AT&T in a couple of weeks once my plan expires. (I got the T-mobile prepaid plan just in case I had to bail on their services, in case something like this happened)

I will update on the issue.

Thanks once again.
    09-15-12 04:06 PM
    I am on a 9810 AT&T device and in the same boat as you. However, do a search on TMO 1900 refarming and you will get some more answers about what TMO is doing to their network.

I have had my 9810 with a TMO H+ in the Northern Virgina area and there are reports of TMO rolling this out all over the country.

If you need 3G/H+ speeds NOW, then you probably need to switch.
    Since they are currently refarming my area, I am going to wait, putting up with EDGE for the time-being, and enjoy my $40 plan.
    09-18-12 01:28 PM
    On the 9900 it is 4G, but yes, you've been lied to.
    09-18-12 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD