Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 12.50%
  • No

28 70.00%
  • Eh idk but I'm thinking now

7 17.50%
    Well I must admit this is my first real forum post and it is not a good one. So here's my problem I have a BlackBerry torch 9800 it was my first blackberry and best phone to date. I have had this phone since the first day it came out on Aug. 14 2010 (same day I started college) and I instantly fell in love with it. It more than exceeded my expectations. I knew nothing about blackberry before this phone but now I feel as though I know maybe too much about it. I have learned how to fix a nuked BB (numerous times due to some playing around and experimenting) and no problems other than that... until last week when the back and power buttons stopped working then they started working off and on until tonight about 2 hours before this post they completely stopped working. Now this may sound like a help me type post but its not. Its merely a rant on what I'm coming to a conclusion about. I am super excited for BB10 but its has taken way too long to come out and now I am starting to think that Blackberry is dead its been said numerous times this is make or break for BlackBerry and BB10 is not coming out until next year. Holidays are coming up people need new phones I do not want to get BB 7.1 and then BB10 comes out a few months later that would be stupid and with android constantly pushing out phones like every week there is plenty of variety for everyone and for the people that wants to be like everyone else there is iphone. So what to do I like Iphones because of their ease of use not so much how functional it is, I like android because of its functionality and its features, but I love BlackBerry because of its uniqueness and its functionality. The real sad part is their holding back on BB10 to try and make it perfect. Lets be real for a moment its not going to happen the phone is going to have kinks show me a phone that works right 100% of the time and I will show you a old fashioned car phone cause all you can do is make phone calls on them. So what is the point of all this you might ask by now? BlackBerry is that happy medium for all smart phones but not being able to fulfill consumers needs at a specific moment in time will kill your business this is prime money making time for RIM and them not being able to supply us with the goods we need will lead to their downfall because the device is not going to be 100% without flaws you can download one app and the whole phone could shut off or have massive memory leak (even though that would be the apps fault) you get my point. I love BlackBerry I truly do and I will still recommend them to anyone. However if I cannot find a cheap smartphone replacement till BB10 comes out then I may have to go else where.

P.S. They should really have a phone with the 9800 design, like the full touch screen and a slide out keyboard best idea they can have for a phone in my opinion.
    keith2k1 likes this.
    09-14-12 10:11 PM
    Good morning,

what you are saying are concerns quite some people around here share. These concerns, whether BB10 might succeed or not, of course are realistic. However I'd like you to take a moment and view it from a slightly different angle.

If more and more people are so concerned about BB10 future that they simply don't buy it - we wouldn't need to wonder when it won't be a success.
    IMO one can somehow compare it to a new, small political party. They are newly formed, fresh ideas, maybe even decent concepts and good people onboard. However they have a serious problem: They are new, small and are competing in a very tough environment. So the people are questioning whether to vote for them or not. Why "waste" your vote on a small party which won't win anyways? However if everyone interested in them thinks like that, they of course won't ever get any decent level of votes to be relevant.

Let's take a look at Windows Phone 7, shall we? You can't really say this OS was successful. Low marketshares (especially considering there still are old Windows Mobile phones counted in!), a typical underdog role for now and a usual "fail!" Victim on multiple tech blogs. But look again. For a WP7 user, is this "failed" OS really a problem? The app market is quite large and still growing strong, updates were released on regular basis. Support is still going on, even with the next major step of Windows Phone on the horizon.

What is the worst thing you expect when BB10 does not succeed? That your phone will stop working after six months? There won't be any apps for it? Just like Windows Phone 7 was extremely important for Microsoft, BB10 is extremely important for RIM and they will throw everything they can to make it successful. I doubt RIM will beat Apple or Google in terms of marketshare, but I strongly believe they at least have a decent opportunity to deliver a fresh, innovative and feature rich OS next year. Deliver something which is requested ever since Apple disappointed in terms of innovation with their new iPhone and Android manufacturers mostly trying to be "innovative" with higher clocked CPUs, more cores and more RAM. Which in reality is just a natural progression, not innovation. Even Google itself fails IMO to deliver great new, innovative(!) stuff to Android.

OS10 won't be perfect. No system is and BB10 won't be an exception. However I am sure Heins has his reasons for the delay. Nobody here knows in what kind of shapre OS10 was two or three months ago when they made this decission. Just look back when Microsoft released the half-baked Windows Phone 7 two years ago. It missed a lot of very basic features and functions, which IMO was one part of why this OS got such a bad reputation. RIM needs to deliver a complete experience, not a hlaf-baked one. I guess OS10 was in such a half-baked stage and is now slowly coming the system Heins want it to be. I don't like this delay either, but I think after all it was the right decission.

As for you question:
    No, I won't be changing plattforms and why should I? I don't see any reason why a nowadays satisfied customer needs to abandon ship. There simply is no single reason rather than psychological ones, the fear to have a non successful plattform. Talk to WP7 users, most WP7 users "by choice" are very happy with this failed OS. I even know two Nokia N9 (the Meego phone) which are more than happy with their devices, though this plattform really *is* dead, seriously dead, no apps or whatever. But it delivers a completely unique user experience and does most stuff out of the box. I can't even call OS7.x successfull, just look at the lacking app market and the dropping sales. So it should be strange that I am still very satisfied with my "doomed" plattform here.
    I don't know if I upgrade in Q1 right away, because my Bold 9900 won't be even a year old by then and I for one just hate this upgrade crazyness for phones going on lately. However if OS10 is appealing enough for me and it is a huge step in terms of usability, I might upgrade sooner than I might do from todays perspective.
    09-15-12 12:23 AM
    Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. I'm on Sprint and am grandfathered in on a plan that does not include the $10.00/month data surcharge that used to exist only on WiMax phones but now includes all smartphones. I've been eligible for an upgrade for a while now. My 9650 suits me fine with the exception of performance and web browsing.

Switching devices for me means an additional $10.00/month ($120.00/year) and I want whatever phone I eventually switch to be worthy of the additional cost. With Sprint slowly rolling out their LTE network with my area scheduled for late 2012/early 2013, I'm waiting to upgrade until the upgrade is ready. None of the LTE phones for Sprint will do me any good until LTE is available.

This means that I'm in the unusual situation of waiting for Sprint (and not RIM). This gives me the luxury of seeing what Sprint's LTE will be all about at around the same time that RIM is schedule to roll out BB10.

If I was a Verizon customer, I could see the appeal of the iPhone 5, but take the same phone and make it a 3G-only phone until Sprint rolls out LTE and I'm not ready to spend an additional $10.00/month for it right now.

When the Sprint LTE network goes live in my area, I'll have the benefit of choosing among the latest and greatest Android devices, the iPhone 5, the Nokia Lumia 920 (and whatever Samsung and other hardware companies bring to the table), and BB10. So as long as Sprint does not have LTE, I don't mind the wait. And if RIM can deliver a device that does what the marketing tells us, I'm completely on board.

My 9650 does pretty much what I need it to and by keeping it for now, is saving me a lot of money. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    09-15-12 12:45 AM
    i agree that my 9650 works well enough. i just cam back from android and was very disappointed. imo android is still too new to be reliable. most of the apps just don't work properly, some not at all. my 9650 is rock solid as far as i can tell. i too am fed up with the upgrade craze. especially when the next latest and greatest phones always come out with a whole lot of bugs.
    if my new car had as many bugs as my new android did when i bought it i would be able to return it under the lemon law. yet when i finally figured out how poor my quality my gnex was (took a couple months) all i get is nothing.
    anywhoo good luck to ya. my rant is done.

sprint bold 9650 p.s. android sucks. lol
    09-15-12 01:24 AM
    JosephN; If you don't want to commit to a contract plan with a new phone, you may as well get a used phone that will work on your carriers network until BB10 come out.
    As far as the "Will you switch platforms" question, I would have liked to have the poll option of "Only if BB10 is an epic fail". I'm planning on getting a BB10 "Nevada", but I'll wait a bit to see how BB10 works in the real world, besides, I want to try out the full touch "London" to see if RIM has perfected the touch screen thing.
    09-15-12 05:32 AM
    I'm on a Torch 9810 and contract not due for a while after BB10 comes out so I have the luxury of seeing how things go for RIM... but I am definitely keeping myself open for BB10 since I already have Playbook and see huge potential in QNX.

If I were you, I woud try to hang on until early 2013 by either fixing the phone (if it is worth it) or use another phone with your SIM for now. Don't renew and lock yourself up in a contract yet!!!

By the time holiday season is over there will be plenty of cheap offers in early 2013 so you will win either way. It is only a few months away and you will have way more options but at least you will give BB10 a demo and judge for yourself!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-15-12 06:33 AM
    People keep talking as if BB10 needs to break some sort of sales record in 1st quarter 2013 or RIM will simply fall into oblivion. . .BB10 simply needs to be good enough to keep RIM profitable. . .I could care less if RIM is #1 or # 100 . . .as long as they are still around to make good devices and I can buy them. . . IMO BB10+Top apps+ good marketing and a smooth GLOBAL launch = RIM sticking around for at least another 4-5 years. . .and I'm fine with that. . .
    esk369 and yasmar like this.
    09-15-12 06:51 AM
    No my curve is work issued on sprint unlimited everything and the best part I don't have to pay anything and even if it was mine my curve is 3 years old I think it does everything i need it makes and receives phone calls it sends and receives sms,mms emails bbm got a lot of songs pictures
    I make and receive 30 50 emails a day double or more the phone calls texts bbms and it does it well if it acts up I pull the battery for 30.
    And its awsome paired with my playbook if bbxx new phones are that nice and my boss upgrades our devices thats great if not then I will decide if Iwant to get for myself.
    09-16-12 07:02 PM
    For this reason alone I stick with the very old on at&t. I still use the 8700. I get my email and I get my calls.
    09-16-12 07:14 PM
    I'm waiting to see if it happens or not. If not I'll see what else I think I'll like when it's time for me to upgrade.
    09-16-12 07:20 PM
    Joseph....the 9900/30 is a terrific device. If you're a bb fan and don't want to jump ship, I wouldn't hesitate to get a bb7 device. Myself? I have a bold 9930 and am in absolutely no hurry to jump into bb10 until it is out for awhile. There is nothing that says you can't hold onto a device longer than the release date of a new one.

Good luck with whatever you decide because in reality, you can't really go wrong even if you decide to go another direction. Just make sure you get a device that suits your needs.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    09-16-12 07:31 PM
    nope not switching, 9900 holding me out till BB10
    09-16-12 07:39 PM
    The 9900/30 is a pretty solid device and as long as it continues to work, I will continue using it. I dont feel like im missing out or anything with the Bold so Im in no rush. BUT, in 2013, when my contract is up, if BB10 isnt what Im looking for, I might consider other options.
    09-17-12 09:57 AM
    Same reply as always: I've no loyalty to a company - Blackberry isn't paying me to advertise or keep their products, so if another phone maker makes something I like better, I might get the phone. Currently, I'm content with what I have.
    09-17-12 10:15 AM
    i hear your concerns. I am using a 9800 as well and it's a great device, however there are some great devices out there and more coming up. I am going to try to wait for BB10, and if something else fits my needs better i will decide then. For now BlackBerry fits my needs best.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    09-17-12 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD