I saw that plenty of you out there in Crackberry Land were a little underwhelmed by the leaked image of the BlackBerry 10 London Full Screen Super Phone. Like many of you; I too am underwhelmed by the look of it.

As reported by Crackberry and admitted by Thorsten Heinz, RIM has finally realized who their primary market is: Working Professionals or as they say "People That Do".

I consider myself to be a working professional and therefore want a "professional" looking phone. I really don't consider the flat black plastic parts of the BB 10 London to look professional or upscale.

I am truly concerned for RIM. There are going to be a lot of very nice phones announced between now and November. Nokia has just released their new sleek super phone Lumia 920, the i-phone 5 will be announced next week and there will be a slew of others coming.

To me, the BB 10 London looks like an Android phone from 2011. I really hope they change their hardware in time for the release of BB10 in 2013.

Below is an image of BB 10 London next to the new super phone being introduced by Acer. I think BlackBerry needs to bring something out that is similar to what Acer is introducing so that they can hit their target market; The Working Professional.

I want BlackBerry to introduce hardware for their phone that is just as stunning as their software. And NOT introduce hardware that is just "mediocre".. They are at a crossroads and depsperately need to nail this and hit their target in the bullseye to ensure their success and future.

What do you guys think? Am I way off base here?? Is there anybody else out there that thinks BlackBerry needs to step up the looks of their hardware for BB 10 London?

Please leave a comment below!

(Please click on the little pics below to open them up into larger pictures to see them in their full glory.)

Attachment 116654

Attachment 116659
    09-07-12 06:39 PM
    No 1 phone is going to be enough for RIM. They need a great touchscreen phone as well as a great QWERTY phone and also a growing ecosytem. If any of those fail, well we should just hope they dont.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    09-07-12 06:42 PM
    I "mostly" agree @howarmat. But this is "the big one" for RIM. They desperately need a full screen phone to bring back some of their lost i-phone and Android users. And considering this is the first BB 10 phone they are going to introduce, (even if it is by just a couple of weeks before their 1/2 screen phone) I feel that this is "do or die" for RIM.
    They must nail this one.
    09-07-12 06:53 PM
    I would hope the leaked photos are not the final product.
    I do expect a Blackberry to look like a well made device with a touch of class.
    If this is the real phone than the os better make up for the bland styling. I really hope the leaked photos are just decoys.
    Clinto and EsJayDee like this.
    09-07-12 07:13 PM
    The new glossy Lumia 920 looks cheap to me. They should have stayed with flat matte finish. This L is supposed to be the same material the playbook is made of which feels great in the hand IMHO. Your also only seeing the front. I always buy a case for my phone so even though my Bold 9900 has that pretty metal band, no one ever sees it on my phone because of the hard case it is in. Why don't we reserve judgement for when we have more pics, and better ones.
    09-07-12 07:16 PM
    Clinto - I'm with you all the way. However, that being said, there is a HUGE difference between leaked snapshots from a cell or cheap consumer camera to the super-polished promotional renders that are done with phones (and basically all products) these days. take a look at the playbook page on blackberry.com - looks nothing like if you just snapped a pic of it with your 9900. Many hours goes into making the hero shots of these products look nothing short of perfection. That Acer you compare it with would look pretty cheap and uninspiring if you snapped a pic with a $100 camera on the back deck.

That being said.. yes. the design is fairly bland. nothing that stands out. I'd probably walk by it in a phone store and forget it 2 seconds later. some of the dreamberry designs on this site were spectacular. Especially John Anastasiadis' designs. Now those are really well thought out, visually stunning designs. For those who say that there's nothing new you can do with a full touch screen should check this out.

My denial is telling me that these recent leaks are old/faux hardware designs being used to throw off competition and bloggers, expose the moles and keep the "real" designs secret... if not, why hasn't the full qwerty hardware been leaked yet? dunno.. probably what happens is RIM releases this mini-playbook to mediocre response to the hardware. That bb10 os better deliver.
    09-07-12 07:19 PM
    I would hope the leaked photos are not the final product.
    I do expect a Blackberry to look like a well made device with a touch of class.
    If this is the real phone than the os better make up for the bland styling. I really hope the leaked photos are just decoys.
    I couldn't have said it any better myself @herculesinwyoming! I really am hoping that it is just a decoy. But.... Crackberry Kevin himself did indeed see the real one and he said it is "understated" in appearance. And that has me worried.

Ever since I got my 9930, I've been making fun of my buddies with "ugly" Androids. And I would sure hate to "eat crow" if BB does plan on making the phone pictured above!
    09-07-12 07:20 PM
    Is The New Leaked Full Screen BB10 Phone Good Looking Enough To Save RIM?

No, cause RIM needs more than hardware to move on, this is pretty obvious. They could have an amazing, beautiful device but hardware alone doesn't keep people from returning a device they don't like.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    09-07-12 07:21 PM
    I thought I heard there will be 6 new phones? That right there shows a lack of concentration. They should put all their focus into 3 phones, a super high end touch screen, same for a bold like phone, and a lower end model for those that don't want to pay as much. I love(d) blackberry but recently bought the Galaxy S3. I must say nothing blackberry has ever done even comes close to this phone, like not even a fourth of what this thing can do. I feel bad for RIM, but on the other hand I truly believe they don't want to be in business any more, seriously. They have run their company so badly and have had a super long time to catch up but its like they refuse to advance, its sad.

I hope die hard rim fans haven't pinned to many hopes and dreams on bb-10 because every new OS and phone was "suppose" to be their saving grace, their shot at getting back in the ring and every single time they have failed miserably. Its almost like they are running some kind of scam. How can such a once glorious company run itself so badly? If that truly is any kind of version of what they are putting out then it is definitely over for them, that phone looks like some crap a child designed. No character, no professional look, it really looks half a$$ed.

Okay I know I just talked a bunch of crap but what I said is 100% true. I would love to support them again though. If bb-10 actually ever comes I will be more than happy to buy one of their phones if it blows me away, but I highly doubt they will produce anything that can hold a candle to the S3. If they do I will buy one even though I don't need a new phone, just to help them out. Personally I really love and favor the Bold line, always have since it launched. I hope they produce a super slick high end Bold I would LOVE to have one!
    mpower25i and sagec like this.
    09-07-12 07:23 PM
    Is The New Leaked Full Screen BB10 Phone Good Looking Enough To Save RIM?

No, cause RIM needs more than hardware to move on, this is pretty obvious. They could have an amazing, beautiful device but hardware alone doesn't keep people from returning a device they don't like.
    @Bla1ze I am honored to have received a reply from you! I am the type of guy that wants it all. I want form and function. Hence my 9930. But I am done with the 1/2 screen. It pullled me in because of its awesome good looks, but now I WANT a full screen.
    To me, I really want that classice eleagant BB style on a full screen phone. It want it all... Beauty AND Intelligence!

And I honestly think that RIM must deliver that if they are serious about their survival.
    09-07-12 07:29 PM
    It's what's inside that counts more. When buying a flat-panel TV, how much consideration did you put into the housing? I don't get this fascination with the minor little styling details on the shell of an electronic device. Those Lumias look like a garish Fischer-Price throwback to me.
    09-07-12 07:34 PM
    There's no point trying to pass judgement on a device based on a leaked photo that might not even be real for all we know. We have to wait and see the real thing, have a chance to play with it in our hands, etc...

Not to mention, although it's been said plenty of times already, there's only so much you can do with a slab phone. At the end of the day, most of the front face of the phone will be dominated by the same touch screen panel. Therefore, what's shown on that screen (I.e. The OS) will be hugely influential on how the phone is perceived aesthetically.

In the end, aesthetics should only be a very small factor (especially with touch screen phone). What should matter far more is the software. It's what's on the inside that counts. Quite frankly, I wouldn't care what the phone looked like as long as it did its job well. I'll most likely end up putting some sort of case on it anyways.
    OniBerry likes this.
    09-07-12 07:37 PM
    There's no point trying to pass judgement on a device based on a leaked photo that might not even be real for all we know. We have to wait and see the real thing, have a chance to play with it in our hands, etc...

Not to mention, although it's been said plenty of times already, there's only so much you can do with a slab phone. At the end of the day, most of the front face of the phone will be dominated by the same touch screen panel. Therefore, what's shown on that screen (I.e. The OS) will be hugely influential on how the phone is perceived aesthetically.

In the end, aesthetics should only be a very small factor (especially with touch screen phone). What should matter far more is the software. It's what's on the inside that counts. Quite frankly, I wouldn't care what the phone looked like as long as it did its job well. I'll most likely end up putting some sort of case on it anyways.
    I completely respect your opinion @Masahiro. As I said in my reply to Blaze, I really want it all Beauty and Intelligence.
    And just like Crackberry Kevin, I refuse to put a case on my phone. I really want to show off the beauty of it. Everybody is different in how they view a phone's hardware.

But considering that RIM's survival is depending so greatly on the launch of this new device; I really do hope that the leaked pic is just a decoy. Because I fear that if it is indeed the real thing; all of the people out there that want a "pretty" phone will pass this one up.

Lets hope they change the design!!!
    09-07-12 07:46 PM
    The market is so flooded with those "other devices" that anything Rim launches will surely turn heads! As the launch is getting closer carriers like Verizon are already stating they will carry the BB10 device which is a big lift for Rim.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-07-12 07:51 PM
    I don't believe the leaked photo is the final production version. With that said I have no inside info, this is merely my opinion.

Think about when auto makers test new designs on the street. The cars are always covered in some sort of camo and the final production designs are never revealed until launch (usually at a major auto show).

The iPhone 5 is also coming out very soon. Does anyone really know what it will look like? Have spy photos proven to be accurate in the past (not including the lost phone the bar)? To my knowledge, they have not.

I think the touch screen device will be as beautiful as the Bold 9900. Anything less would be a step backwards for RIM.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    09-07-12 07:57 PM
    As much as people may want elegant and professional... it is very much an issue of personal preference as to what that is... I think my torch 9800 is both elegant and professional... one of the resasons I still use and like it... would be hard pressed to convince my Apple Iphone friends of that... To them... their phones are elegant and professional... MIne is old and outdated......so it is mostly a moot point on this thread....
    09-07-12 08:07 PM
    In my humble opinion. I think that if RIM does indeed plan on releasing a better looking phone, they had better "leak" a picture of it ASAP. Because when all of the other brand phones start raining down upon us for the holiday season people that think this is indeed RIM's phone will pass it up and opt for something "prettier" and sooner before 2013 and BB10 release.

Here's hoping for an updated leak showing an upscale looking London. But lets not forget that Crackberry Kevin said the BB10 Bold/Nevada did look very nice and he also said the "London" looked understated... If RIM does indeed release an "understated" full screen device, I do think it will be the last mistake they ever make.

Let's hope Thorsten Heinz reads this thread and decides to make the London look nice!!
    sagec likes this.
    09-07-12 08:09 PM
    I am with OP, the phone in the leaked photos is underwhelming for me. Hopefully it's the camera.
    09-07-12 08:13 PM
    did you just say "WAIT"?
    09-07-12 08:15 PM
    The new glossy Lumia 920 looks cheap to me. They should have stayed with flat matte finish. This L is supposed to be the same material the playbook is made of which feels great in the hand IMHO. Your also only seeing the front. I always buy a case for my phone so even though my Bold 9900 has that pretty metal band, no one ever sees it on my phone because of the hard case it is in. Why don't we reserve judgement for when we have more pics, and better ones.
    I agree. And that proves something right there. You can't please everyone. The 920 looks like plastic to me and doesn't appeal to me at all. The OP is upset that it doesn't look like the 920. I would be upset if it did.

I have a Torch 9810 and had a Bold 9000 before that. I don't know if I will go to a full touch screen or not. I love my buttons. If I was thinking of a full touch screen phone, I would change my mind if the 920 was the phone that was released. The BB10 phone in the pic I would buy. It looks like it has the same finish as the PlayBook, which I love, and its a look that I feel is "professional" looking.

There isn't one phone design out there that would set the world on fire. The phone can't be ugly but it the design itself isn't what is going to bring people back. The OS has to look good, work amazing and do as much as possible.

The iphone isn't some amazing design. Its not an ugly phone but its not ground breaking. Like someone said before, there is only so much you can do with that style of phone.

James
    09-07-12 08:22 PM
    People keep saying it looks bad. Most people I know with iphones, cover it with a case. So the case design, OS is more important.

I wanted a case for my PlayBook but when I put the thing in my hand I decided I didn't want to cover it up. So even if this is the phone, and you guys still hate it once its in hand, there still might be plenty of people out there that love it.

James
    OniBerry likes this.
    09-07-12 08:38 PM
    As much as people may want elegant and professional... it is very much an issue of personal preference as to what that is... I think my torch 9800 is both elegant and professional... one of the resasons I still use and like it... would be hard pressed to convince my Apple Iphone friends of that... To them... their phones are elegant and professional... MIne is old and outdated......so it is mostly a moot point on this thread....
    Opinions are subjective, but.. no you don't, nobody thinks the torch is elegant and professional, it was a total flop and a failure of a phone. You are just being to stubborn to admit your phone sucks, sorry.
    09-07-12 09:09 PM
    Below is an image of BB 10 London next to the new super phone being introduced by Acer. I think BlackBerry needs to bring something out that is similar to what Acer is introducing so that they can hit their target market; The Working Professional.

I want BlackBerry to introduce hardware for their phone that is just as stunning as their software. And NOT introduce hardware that is just "mediocre".. They are at a crossroads and depsperately need to nail this and hit their target in the bullseye to ensure their success and future.

What do you guys think? Am I way off base here?? Is there anybody else out there that thinks BlackBerry needs to step up the looks of their hardware for BB 10 London?

Please leave a comment below!

(Please click on the little pics below to open them up into larger pictures to see them in their full glory.)

Attachment 116654

Attachment 116659
    Typically Acer phones are cheaply made and they feel that way in your hand. A picture can be deceiving. Do not expect the back to be like the Playbook as the battery is removable. I do not think the final version is going to win design awards, but what is important is that it is not ugly and it is well made, and let BB 10 do the rest.
    09-07-12 09:25 PM
    RIM needs more than hardware. They need eye-catching, no - mesmerizing beauty in their next phone. As well as second to none hardware and software. Anything less and they can forget it." understated " (aka unremarkable, or underwhelming) will not cut it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Clinto and richardat like this.
    09-07-12 10:02 PM
    RIM needs more than hardware. They need eye-catching, no - mesmerizing beauty in their next phone. As well as second to none hardware and software. Anything less and they can forget it." understated " (aka unremarkable, or underwhelming) will not cut it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Disagree the new phone looks great. Don't want to make it fancy, it has to appeal to everyone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    09-07-12 10:06 PM
89 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD