Hi

I'm a newbie after taking the plunge on the �129 playbook deal from PC World (UK).

I started reading up about sideloading and got a bit daunted by it. I struggled to get BBH to work at all and then stumbled upon a bit of advice on the Hotukdeals forum. There is a very very basic app on the Google Chrome app store which enables you to transfer .bar apps onto your playbook over wifi. It's an absolute doddle to use. It's called 'Playbook App Manager' and it's so easy to use.

I know it's probably been discussed on here before but thought I'd raise it as I guess a lot of new users will be making use of this forum now their shiny new playbooks have arrived.

I'm really impressed with mine and now being abble to sideload apps seems to make it even better.
    09-06-12 07:07 AM
    saw it on the HotUKDeals page for the �129 offer (i also got one )

didnt realise it was via WiFi, will have to give it a go, thanks
    09-06-12 09:00 AM
    I just use DDPB

I don't thrust wifi for this task, but some other users do and their fine

And if you want to convert apps,just search "apk2bar converter" on these forums or in google

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-06-12 09:22 AM
    PlayBook App Manager

link for those who want to know what he is talking about
    wimbly likes this.
    09-06-12 09:35 AM
    You can use either via wifi or usb cable, you use the network ip for wifi or the one in the dev mode settings page for cable.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    wimbly likes this.
    09-06-12 06:11 PM
    Thank you, I did not know this existed! Just got a playbook and have been painfully installing .bars one at a time from command line!
    09-11-12 12:28 AM
    Hooray! This brilliant. Nice and easy, installed kindle.

Thank you.
    09-11-12 09:13 AM
    Except the kindle app doesn't work! Stops unexpectedly. I'll try again.
    09-11-12 09:16 AM
    Kindle can get flaky at times, BUT it does work, keep at it. Try rebooting the PlayBook. Kindle works for me, 9 out of 10 times, BUT I have had it crash on my also.
    wimbly likes this.
    09-11-12 09:22 AM
    Thanks. I will try again.
    09-11-12 09:25 AM
    I am getting no joy. I deleted and reinstalled and rebooted my pb but I keep getting the stopped unexpectedly message before it has even launched properly.

I used this link for the kindle .bar file

Kindle 3.4.1.1 (Thx johanb99 &nbsp Kindle_3.4.1.1.bar - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Last edited by wimbly; 09-11-12 at 09:48 AM.
    09-11-12 09:44 AM
    My OS version is 2.01.668. Is that an issue?
    09-11-12 09:50 AM
    DDPB will sideload via WIFI too, and the interface looks very similar. I can't see much need for this Chrome plugin myself, especially when it wants complete access to your browsing history!

09-11-12 10:10 AM
    Well I am using USB rather than wifi anyway. I haven't yet tried DDPB. I might try that another time (BBH10 wasn't working for me). I use firefox on my pc usually and only use chrome for the odd thing so there won't be much of a browsing history to access.

Although it's only the kindle app I really wanted and that doesn't work. I've just installed google maps via the same process and it works fine.
    09-11-12 10:18 AM
    I am getting no joy. I deleted and reinstalled and rebooted my pb but I keep getting the stopped unexpectedly message before it has even launched properly.

I used this link for the kindle .bar file

Kindle 3.4.1.1 (Thx johanb99 &nbsp Kindle_3.4.1.1.bar - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Thanks for using the extension.
    Just one little tip: always use my extension to uninstall an app to make sure it is removed.
    And whether an app will work or not has nothing to with the program that was used to sideload it.
    wimbly likes this.
    09-11-12 10:24 PM
    DDPB will sideload via WIFI too, and the interface looks very similar. I can't see much need for this Chrome plugin myself, especially when it wants complete access to your browsing history!

Well, unless you've ever tried, you can hardly know what the need is. Or, you can just go to the project homepage and take a glance at the section of "Why me?".
    And by the way, my extension does not (and will not try to) have the access of browsing history.
    It requires "Your data on all websites" simply because the extension don't know what exactly your PlayBook's IP is in the first place. This extension will not do anything on any other web pages other than the PlayBook's hostname/IP you filled in. Not even a stats/analytics code.
    The codes are in HTML and JavaScript, so anyone can check if there's anything malicious inside.
    If these still won't eliminate your worries, why not just try the Greasemonkey version.
    Last edited by CrackOp; 09-11-12 at 10:43 PM.
    09-11-12 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD