My first impression of the OS10 device is that RIM is begging Apple to file a lawsuit for an injunction and damages, similar to what happened to Samsung. It should have been a no-brainer to make the Bold 9700 a little thinner and more powerful, and slim down the Bold 9900 and make the battery last as long as the Bold 9700. Instead, RIM wants to make a device that looks and feels like an iPhone so they can copy Apple and hopefully sell more devices. Am I right, or am I right? Perhaps, RIM should just hire me as its CEO. I bet people over at RIM are "passing bricks" with the aftermath of Apple v. Samsung, but will that put RIM on the right track? -- of course not -- "they are too busy trying to keep up with the Joneses."
    Last edited by lawlist; 09-05-12 at 08:44 PM.
    09-05-12 08:34 PM
    I don't think your paying attention to any of the news posted about BB10, it is nothing like iOS, and that's all the food for you.
    09-05-12 08:46 PM
    I believe Samsung got sued because they copied the OS, right down to the shape and colour of the icons and pics in the icons. They copied the doc and everything and made it soooo similar it was hard to say it was not copied.
    When it comes to the design, the "rounded rectangle" was not patentable. What else can a glass slab really look like. All touch screen phones look very similar to me.
    If anyone will sue over a rectangle with rounded corners and a chrome strip around it, it would be RIM. They invented that look before Apple even knew what a smartphone was.
    09-05-12 08:47 PM
    BGR must be slow with Crapple "exclusives" today
    09-05-12 08:50 PM
    The first OS10 device going to market is going to be rectangular, with rounded edges, and a glass touch screen. All it takes is twelve (12) relatively uneducated people to be convinced by astute lawyers that this violates Apple design patents. RIM can try the same arguments as Samsung did, but in the end RIM is up the creek without a paddle. Apple may not win on the OS design, but the design of the device itself is sufficiently close to be a knock-off. People may not agree with the results of Apple v. Samsung, but it is clear that a sufficiently different shape must be chosen.
    Last edited by lawlist; 09-05-12 at 08:54 PM.
    JohnBB101 likes this.
    09-05-12 08:51 PM
    09-05-12 08:52 PM
    The first OS10 device going to market is going to be rectangular, with rounded edges, and a glass touch screen. All it takes is twelve (12) relatively uneducated people to be convinced by astute lawyers that this violates Apple design patents. RIM can try the same arguments as Samsung did, but in the end RIM is up the creek without a paddle. Apple may not win on the OS design, but the design of the device itself is sufficiently close to be a knock-off.
    Dude... Give your head a shake, cau u don't know ur azz from two holes in da snow!
    09-05-12 08:55 PM
    The first OS10 device going to market is going to be rectangular, with rounded edges, and a glass touch screen. All it takes is twelve (12) relatively uneducated people to be convinced by astute lawyers that this violates Apple design patents. RIM can try the same arguments as Samsung did, but in the end RIM is up the creek without a paddle. Apple may not win on the OS design, but the design of the device itself is sufficiently close to be a knock-off.
    Dude... Give your head a shake, cause u don't know ur azz from two pi$$ holes in da snow!
    09-05-12 08:56 PM
    With a nickname like "lawlist" and an avatar with a suit and tie, I'm obviously not "stupid". I'm not sure how my comment could be considered trolling. I'll resurrect this thread when the lawsuit is filed by Apple against RIM, and I'll say: . . . .
    Last edited by lawlist; 09-05-12 at 09:00 PM.
    Old Ag likes this.
    09-05-12 08:56 PM
    If anyone should sue it should be freddie mercury, that mustache is a total copy for sure!!!
    Just kidding, but because the phone is rectangular the OS is going to be something totally different and better. This is not imitation it will be innovation. Remember the OS is changing where apple hasn't been innovative with its os since it first came out. There is no comparison. Nice try though in stirring the pot, do you blog for yahoo by chance???

09-05-12 09:01 PM
    The first OS10 device going to market is going to be rectangular, with rounded edges, and a glass touch screen. All it takes is twelve (12) relatively uneducated people to be convinced by astute lawyers that this violates Apple design patents. RIM can try the same arguments as Samsung did, but in the end RIM is up the creek without a paddle. Apple may not win on the OS design, but the design of the device itself is sufficiently close to be a knock-off. People may not agree with the results of Apple v. Samsung, but it is clear that a sufficiently different shape must be chosen.
    Really do not want to rain on your parade... but most cell phones look that way already... have not seen any square smartphones... have you?? As for the screen... all I have seen have glass touch screen... Have not seen any paper ones..... Apple by the way did not invent the touch screen... they just improved on it and made it work effectively.... You should go back and revisit the actual lawsuit... Under you logic Apple should be suing every smartphone manifacturer out there... just saw pics of the new Nokia... motorala... smartphones... guess they will be getting those summons tomorrow.....
    09-05-12 09:02 PM
    With a nickname like "lawlist" and an avatar with a suit and tie, I'm obviously not "stupid". I'm not sure how my comment could be considered trolling. I'll resurrect this thread when the lawsuit is filed by Apple against RIM, and I'll say: . . . .
    Using one's screen name and avatar has to be the best defense of a troll accusation of all time.

Stand up and take a bow!
    09-05-12 09:03 PM
    Really do not want to rain on your parade... but most cell phones look that way already... have not seen any square smartphones... have you?? As for the screen... all I have seen have glass touch screen... Have not seen any paper ones..... Apple by the way did not invent the touch screen... they just improved on it and made it work effectively.... You should go back and revisit the actual lawsuit... Under you logic Apple should be suing every smartphone manifacturer out there... just saw pics of the new Nokia... motorala... smartphones... guess they will be getting those summons tomorrow.....
    Apple hasn't even improved touch screens, LG and Sharp are the ones behind the screen tech (the new in-cell tech)
    09-05-12 09:04 PM
    What part of rounded rectangle is not patentable don't you get?
    09-05-12 09:05 PM
    You'll say "I told you so" ? Pretty obvious....though I agree they need a new different design, like the Blade! If fans can figure out a design to be completely HOT, refreshed and revamped then RIM can come up with something extraordinary.
    09-05-12 09:05 PM
    That is a good question. In life, it is generally a good strategy to take out the biggest bully and make an example out of him. Whether or not Apple may choose to make an example out of RIM is certainly open for debate. Apple will file suit in San Jose, not in Waterloo, Canada -- the twelve (12) relatively uneducated people on the jury will be from the local jury pool.
    Last edited by lawlist; 09-05-12 at 09:11 PM.
    09-05-12 09:06 PM
    Sliding in before the lock.

Sweet.
    09-05-12 09:18 PM
    In order for Apple to sue RIM, Apple would first have to view them as a threat or feel engaged by RIM and that's simply not the case here.

Come back, when you actually have a law suit to talk about.
    ddlax22, GTiLeo, ekv and 2 others like this.
    09-05-12 09:19 PM
    I don't think RIM is on Apple's radar. Whether that is good or not is a question for another thread.
    09-05-12 09:20 PM
    In order for Apple to sue RIM, Apple would first have to view them as a threat or feel engaged by RIM and that's simply not the case here.

Come back, when you actually have a law suit to talk about.
    couldn't agree more, samsung is a threat to apple and they want to try and eliminate them

there was a TV program about Steve Jobs and how he thought someone that worked for apple took the idea to google when he left the company and he vowed to take google out
    09-05-12 09:41 PM
    Skim a few headlines and suddenly everyone is a patent expert... Try digging into actual details... :banghead:
    bungaboy and Bobcat665 like this.
    09-05-12 09:42 PM
    The US was the only country Samsung was found guilty. I believe South Korea and Germany (I think it was germany) that they were found innocent.

I think what really nailed Samsung was the emails related to copying the iPhone was disclosed.
    09-05-12 10:04 PM
    Sigh. "Round rectangles."

No one, least of all Apple, claims that "round rectangles" are patentable. This is about "trade dress".

The color brown is not patented. Gold letters aren't patented. Delivering packages in trucks is not patented. But if you start delivering packages in brown trucks with gold letters, UPS will sue you to pieces. And they would be right to do so.

It is particular, identified (beforehand) combinations of shapes, colors, and materials, in the context of a particular commercial application that is protectable as "trade dress". And if your design matters, you have to take action to protect it, or you lose it.

Coca-cola's bottles and swoopy white script on a red field; American Airlines' double "A"s in Helvetica, red and blue; the Olympic rings; Duracell's "copper-top". These are valuable possessions of their respective holders, and any of those companies will sue the pants of any competitor whose products sport those shapes and colors. If they don't, they are behaving irresponsibly toward their shareholders.

It strikes me as somewhat insane that RIM's supporters can (a) claim that billions of dollars of value is to be found in RIM's patent portfolio, while (b) decrying as the soul of evil another company for suing over violations of patents, design patents, or trade dress. (And just Apple, for some reason... Nokia won a big settlement against Apple, but they don't seem to be as evil.)

If RIM's patents are valuable--and they might well be very valuable--it is because RIM can and will use them as the basis for lawsuits at the first possible opportunity. If they don't, then they are criminally liable for failing to maximize shareholder value.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-05-12 10:17 PM
    OP don't ever do anything in life because Apple will sue your a55
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-06-12 01:23 AM
    My first impression of the OS10 device is that RIM is begging Apple to file a lawsuit for an injunction and damages, similar to what happened to Samsung. It should have been a no-brainer to make the Bold 9700 a little thinner and more powerful, and slim down the Bold 9900 and make the battery last as long as the Bold 9700. Instead, RIM wants to make a device that looks and feels like an iPhone so they can copy Apple and hopefully sell more devices. Am I right, or am I right? Perhaps, RIM should just hire me as its CEO. I bet people over at RIM are "passing bricks" with the aftermath of Apple v. Samsung, but will that put RIM on the right track? -- of course not -- "they are too busy trying to keep up with the Joneses."
    Wow you have not been following any of the latest news have you? :-)

Must be fun living in your word where apple owns one and all :-p. Im an apple fan but i really hope they lose the next few lawsuits so they realise how full of they really are :-p
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-06-12 01:38 AM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD