This post isn't designed to bash other platforms, devices or anything, just the experience of one long time cell phone user who has used iOS, BB, Android, and everything pre-GUI, from Palm all the way back to the Motorola StarTAC.
    Anyway, back when the 9900 was announced I thought it would be a great time to rekindle my BlackBerry relationship -- devices finally got faster, with better specs and build quality. For me, it was heaven to see an updated 9000 design! I also bought a PlayBook. I was using an iPhone for awhile after getting away from the outdated and sluggish Bold models.
    Then, as RIM's problems got worse and Android started picking up the pace with ICS devices, I wanted to get on the bleeding edge again, and opted for form over function and shelved my BlackBerry and jumped to an Android device (Note). I've always been rooting hard for RIM to turn things around, and while technology companies rarely make a "comeback" I kept holding out hope.
    But, k'know, after several months of battling Android's OS, freezes, and such I started getting hungry for straight FUNCTION. Getting the basics done -- phone, text and email. I took my Note to a golf tournament and, although trying to hold it in one hand and see the screen in full sunlight was very challenging, for some reason my data stopped functioning that day -- no data would load. Sticky OS performance, too. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get data. No app updates, etc. I wanted to toss the thing in a lake. Later in the day, it started working again. Not going to kill Android because of my device problems that day, but it just started making me long for something that JUST WORKED.
    So, back out came my 9900 and I have never looked back. I will sell my Note and my Nexus -- I tried to commit to Android, but it's got too many bells and whistles, too many swipes and screen touches to do basic functions. Even with a huge screen, typing was tiresome battling the auto correct and mis-types. Again, Android is very powerful, but for my tastes, it really needs refinement.
    Now I find myself committed to BlackBerry again (happily) and really looking forward to BB10 and the new devices. I am a cheerleader again. I have liked what I've seen so far and really hope RIM releases a fully COMPLETED device and OS when it's ready. I don't miss apps at all. The essential ones are on BB. But having more for the BB10 release would certainly be nice to see, but it's not a dealbreaker -- I don't choose a phone for apps.
    I've learned a lot. I've learned what's important to be in a cell phone. BlackBerry, for me, does the core essentials as good or better than anyone. And I get things done fast and easily with BB. THAT is something I can't put a price tag on. So GO RIM, GO BLACKBERRY, KNOCK MY SOCKS OFF AND I WILL BE A USER FOR AS LONG AS YOU KEEP THE LIGHTS ON!
    09-05-12 02:43 PM
    09-05-12 02:46 PM
    This post isn't designed to bash other platforms, devices or anything, just the experience of one long time cell phone user who has used iOS, BB, Android, and everything pre-GUI, from Palm all the way back to the Motorola StarTAC.
    Anyway, back when the 9900 was announced I thought it would be a great time to rekindle my BlackBerry relationship -- devices finally got faster, with better specs and build quality. For me, it was heaven to see an updated 9000 design! I also bought a PlayBook. I was using an iPhone for awhile after getting away from the outdated and sluggish Bold models.
    Then, as RIM's problems got worse and Android started picking up the pace with ICS devices, I wanted to get on the bleeding edge again, and opted for form over function and shelved my BlackBerry and jumped to an Android device (Note). I've always been rooting hard for RIM to turn things around, and while technology companies rarely make a "comeback" I kept holding out hope.
    But, k'know, after several months of battling Android's OS, freezes, and such I started getting hungry for straight FUNCTION. Getting the basics done -- phone, text and email. I took my Note to a golf tournament and, although trying to hold it in one hand and see the screen in full sunlight was very challenging, for some reason my data stopped functioning that day -- no data would load. Sticky OS performance, too. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get data. No app updates, etc. I wanted to toss the thing in a lake. Later in the day, it started working again. Not going to kill Android because of my device problems that day, but it just started making me long for something that JUST WORKED.
    So, back out came my 9900 and I have never looked back. I will sell my Note and my Nexus -- I tried to commit to Android, but it's got too many bells and whistles, too many swipes and screen touches to do basic functions. Even with a huge screen, typing was tiresome battling the auto correct and mis-types. Again, Android is very powerful, but for my tastes, it really needs refinement. Now I find myself committed to BlackBerry again (happily) and really looking forward to BB10 and the new devices. I am a cheerleader again. I have liked what I've seen so far and really hope RIM releases a fully COMPLETED device and OS when it's ready. I don't miss apps at all. The essential ones are on BB. But having more for the BB10 release would certainly be nice to see, but it's not a dealbreaker -- I don't choose a phone for apps.
    I've learned a lot. I've learned what's important to be in a cell phone. BlackBerry, for me, does the core essentials as good or better than anyone. And I get things done fast and easily with BB. THAT is something I can't put a price tag on. So GO RIM, GO BLACKBERRY, KNOCK MY SOCKS OFF AND I WILL BE A USER FOR AS LONG AS YOU KEEP THE LIGHTS ON!
    The bolded part resonates with me.

I HATE arguing with the autocorrect. I have my Skyrocket on a hiatus...currently using the iPhone and the 9900.
    09-05-12 02:59 PM
    I want to thank you for this post. This is a PERFECT example of a comparison post that explains why one person values a particular platform over others WITHOUT degrading or bashing the others. You stated your personal preferences and why BB works best for what you needed to do. Bravo! I wish more people would follow your example!
    09-05-12 03:08 PM
    Agree with the others. Nice to see someone state their preferences without name calling.
    Trunkton likes this.
    09-05-12 04:23 PM
    Welcome back to the fold! Hopefully BB10 will be everything you want it to be.
    09-05-12 07:23 PM
    Thanks. As I said, I have used Apple, Android and others for extended periods of time. With all the new flashy ICS and Jellybean hype I was expecting something that was not only powerful, but complimented my lifestyle -- as if it understood that I would rather be doing things in my daily life than staring at a screen or wondering if I pressed the right key, or, in my case, always wondering HOW to do something. And when I did use my device for info, I wanted it without fail. I have been very surprised that the Galaxy Note was so cumbersome to use. I mean, 1.5 dual core and the screen STILL hangs up when going in and out of apps? No.

The world NEEDS BlackBerry. I refuse to believe we could someday be stuck with Apple and Android. BlackBerry addresses a customer that I think would be terribly underserved if they didn't have the choice.
    09-06-12 11:33 AM
    Welcome back, I'm just wondering how many other individuals are out there with similar experiences and a similar story as you. I totally agree with you, the world does need BlackBerry for the very reasons you discussed. Mighty Thor was right when he described users as BlackBerry People.
    09-06-12 11:59 AM
    The bolded part resonates with me.

I HATE arguing with the autocorrect. I have my Skyrocket on a hiatus...currently using the iPhone and the 9900.
    It's that bad?

I'm thinking of getting a Note 2. I currently have a Torch and iPhone 4, both on contract. The Torch can be upgraded now. Not sure if going from Torch to 9900 is really worth it. Also have a Storm 2 as a dust collector.
    09-06-12 12:57 PM
    Tools not toys!!!!

I asked my iPhone users to do a simple task... download some PDF, MP3, ZIP or XLS files, actual work-related stuff. Then compose an email, attach one or more files and send it off to several contacts.

Could any of them do it? No. Did iPhone let them browse their file system and attach any file they wanted? No. Could they download and use the file directly on their phone?

The "attachments" are limited to sending photos from the camera app itself.

What about downloading an MP3 file directly from a website to use as a ringtone? Blackberry YES. iPhone... had a long way about it, need to convert to M4A and do all this crap with iTunes. What a load of baloney just to set your own custom ringtone!

Tools not toys!
    BB gets the job done!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    mithrazor likes this.
    09-06-12 01:07 PM
    Tools not toys!!!!

I asked my iPhone users to do a simple task... download some PDF, MP3, ZIP or XLS files, actual work-related stuff. Then compose an email, attach one or more files and send it off to several contacts.

Could any of them do it? No. Did iPhone let them browse their file system and attach any file they wanted? No. Could they download and use the file directly on their phone?

The "attachments" are limited to sending photos from the camera app itself.

What about downloading an MP3 file directly from a website to use as a ringtone? Blackberry YES. iPhone... had a long way about it, need to convert to M4A and do all this crap with iTunes. What a load of baloney just to set your own custom ringtone!

Tools not toys!
    BB gets the job done!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Oh I hear ya on this one! I have pretty much written off iPhone. There just is no file system on it. There are silly and complicated work arounds but for people who actually use their phone for business (and I mean more than simple tasks like email), iPhone wont cut it.
    09-06-12 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD