Am I missing something here or is RIM missing a trick?

What frustrates me and most touch screen users is accidentally clicking on a link and opening a new website page when trying to scroll. The PlayBook has a cool touch sensitive bezel so why couldn't rubbing your finger up the bezel be used to scroll without having to touch the screen itself? I would love this to be done and whilst they are at it build it into BB10 so that my new touch screen phone will also benefit from the same cool feature.

I really like this idea and don't you agree that this is another feature where RIM could differentiate themselves from their competition.
    SugarMouth and anon(3641385) like this.
    09-05-12 01:05 PM
    You can, you have to start on the screen and slide over which defeats touching links.

I don't know how other touch devices work but when there are small links and big fingers a double tap or zoom in is needed and it isn't that difficult to do or takes that much time.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-05-12 at 05:15 PM. Reason: C
    DC506, Hgouck and jafobabe like this.
    09-05-12 01:13 PM

What frustrates me and most touch screen users is accidentally clicking on a link and opening a new website page when trying to scroll. The PlayBook has a cool touch sensitive bezel so why couldn't rubbing your finger up the bezel be used to scroll without having to touch the screen itself? I would love this to be done and whilst they are at it build it into BB10 so that my new touch screen phone will also benefit from the same cool feature.

I really like this idea and don't you agree that this is another feature where RIM could differentiate themselves from their competition.
    ... Have asked myself this question hundreds times!
    09-05-12 05:15 PM
    The portion of the bezel which is touch-sensitive is actually quite narrow, though that's not apparent with the normal bezel gestures, which are designed to require only "movement from bezel into screen region". The region is about 6-7mm wide (0.25").

If you were to try to move your finger vertically in the side bezel region, not leaving it to either side, you'd find it to be quite difficult. There's no visual or tactile feedback, and you'd have a pretty poor user experience from it.

Then there's the fact that this wouldn't work at all on the phones, where the touch-sensitive region is even narrower... only a couple of millimetres (maybe 0.080"). Since BB10 will eventually run on both devices, you'd have a situation where a gesture from the one device wouldn't work on the other, and again a poor user experience.
    Hgouck and masqueofhastur like this.
    09-05-12 06:35 PM
    Thank you all for your replies and help. Much appreciated and good to know that I can after all use the bezel to scroll. It's good to learn something new every day.
    09-06-12 03:03 PM

What frustrates me and most touch screen users is accidentally clicking on a link and opening a new website page when trying to scroll.
    Exactly. This is very annoying. and if there are ad banners where you click to scroll, that is 100% reproducable. They need to fix it, apart from your sugg below.

The PlayBook has a cool touch sensitive bezel so why couldn't rubbing your finger up the bezel be used to scroll without having to touch the screen itself?
    very good idea, but im afraid the 3mm scroll area is really small. still its worth a try.

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    09-08-12 04:32 PM
    I noticed on few android apps (on my Android tablet and apps ported to PB) that when I swipe to scroll a tab appears on the right hand side of the screen. I find that when I grab that tab I can scroll the entire length of the pages in one continuous swipe.

That would be a feature I would vote for on the native PB apps.
    09-08-12 09:40 PM
    ... a tab appears on the right hand side of the screen. I find that when I grab that tab I can scroll the entire length of the pages in one continuous swipe.
    IIRC - If I remember Correctly - that is one of the software patents of Apple. So introducing that would involve apple to pay and receive a license to use it on PB OS.

Ray
    09-09-12 05:24 PM
    IIRC - If I remember Correctly - that is one of the software patents of Apple. So introducing that would involve apple to pay and receive a license to use it on PB OS.

Ray
    I doubt it. The tab he's talking about is essentially the same as the scroll bar in Windows. Apple doesn't have a patent on that.
    09-09-12 05:57 PM
    You can, you have to start on the screen and slide over which defeats touching links.

I don't know how other touch devices work but when there are small links and big fingers a double tap or zoom in is needed and it isn't that difficult to do or takes that much time.
    I tried this and can't seem to get. It to work. Can someone explain it in detail or even post a video?
    09-09-12 08:05 PM
    Click the link below my signature for the User's Guide.. Scrolling how to's.
    09-09-12 08:40 PM
    The brezel is awesome it is no way being used to its full potential. .25 inches or not there's a lot more that can me done with it. A few examples would be, double tapping to move back or forward in web apps, fast down swipeto exit app, scrolling, switch weapons in games
    If we could root someone could make an app like activator for iphone assigning it for custom commands

Sent from Playbook using Taptalk
    09-13-12 08:05 PM

I see the same "bezel scrolling" effect on my Touchpad (in WebOS and with android -- Cyanogen Mod 9)
    09-13-12 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD