I am going to look at a used BB9900 on the TMOB network tomorrow from a fellow on Craigslist. So far he has been pretty straight up regarding a few scratches/scuffs that most craigslisters might not mention. I've never purchased a used phone but the price is right and I'm ready to get rid of this BB Tour!

My question is what are the things I should ask and/or look for so that I won't have problems in the future with the phone. I am on the TMOB network as well so there shouldn't be any issues there. As far as the scratches go, I was probably going to just purchase a frame bezel repair kit and tools for like $15 and replace that myself so it looks new. I know obviously to put my TMOB sim card in to make sure everything works as far as network coverage but what about any internal/system things to check (IE: versions of certain things, missing files, etc.)? Thanks a ton! I hope that this time tomorrow I am part of the 9900 community!
    09-05-12 10:34 AM
    Make sure you open the camera app. My wife's 9900 would have a red line going across the screen and it would come out in the pics that were taken. It eventually went away, but after searching cb I noticed some people weren't as lucky.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Treym86 likes this.
    09-05-12 11:12 AM
    First open tbe battery door, check the two white stips to make sure they are white and not red, this means no water damage.

Then boot it up with your simcard, make sure you get network connection.

After that, open a program where you can type. Press all the keys to make sure they work, and check the touch screen.

I also check to see if the warranty sticker on the screws has been tampered with but thats complicated.

Check the speakers, and volume buttons.

Check the trackpad outside in the sun, some move around on their own.

And if you can, check if it charges.

I always do this.
    Treym86 likes this.
    09-05-12 11:24 AM
    if its on 7.1 just run device analyzer and make sure everything is running an working fine
    09-05-12 11:58 AM
    Thanks a ton for all of the advice! I'm not familiar with the 7.1 system, where can I find the device analyzer? Also I'm used to my trackball so when you say that the trackpad "moves around on its on" what exactly do you mean? Anything else other than the things you mentioned that anyone can think of? I'm a bit weary just because the guy has had it on the market for about a month at a great price so intuition tells me it isn't selling for some reason...maybe I'm just a skeptic though!
    09-05-12 07:11 PM
    On some devices including mine, if the trackpad is outside it moves the cursor around and it becomes un usable. It just moves around the apps on its own.

Also check it to make sure its not squeeky or anything funny.

09-05-12 07:24 PM
    On some devices including mine, if the trackpad is outside it moves the cursor around and it becomes un usable. It just moves around the apps on its own.

Also check it to make sure its not squeeky or anything funny.
    Yikes! Is this a software issue or just the way that all/most trackpads react to direct sun?
    09-05-12 07:38 PM
    basically on all. and the screen is pretty much unresponsive under direct sunlight.. but not really a issue just dont stand in the sun..
    09-05-12 08:14 PM
    Ask why they are selling the device, then you really know if it's legit. It's a good idea to perform all these things to make sure it works before you buy the device, but usually they want to sell you the device and get out! A lot of people are selling their BlackBerrys right now anyways and I'm sure it's only to upgrade to an iphone or Android phone, so that's a good reason to be selling it..

I just bought my 9930 from craiglist and it's working like a champ!
    Last edited by Maxey05; 09-06-12 at 12:54 AM.
    09-06-12 12:46 AM
    basically on all. and the screen is pretty much unresponsive under direct sunlight.. but not really a issue just dont stand in the sun..

Not all, lol a small percentage.

09-06-12 12:53 AM
    Not all, lol a small percentage.

My touchscreen is a lil difficult to operate in the sun, so that's why I use my track pad outside because it always works! Haven't had the unresponsiveness on the track pad...

And I live in Southern California where there is a lot of sun!!
    09-06-12 12:56 AM
    I think another concern is if the phone has been stolen or something of that nature. Is there any way to check for that? Secondly do you see any issues with replacing the bezel around the edge myself since the owner said it is scratched up?
    09-06-12 09:45 AM
    I think another concern is if the phone has been stolen or something of that nature. Is there any way to check for that? Secondly do you see any issues with replacing the bezel around the edge myself since the owner said it is scratched up?
    maybe if he gives the imei number, the carrier might be able to check if its reported stolen or not..and the bezel is pretty easy for one that is familiar with removing housings if your not techy at all then it would be real hard for you..
    09-06-12 09:53 AM
    Computer/network tech, yes. Blackberry tech, well..ahem..I'm working on that.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    09-06-12 09:55 AM
    If its been reported stolen there will be a esn block so it will says sos when you put a sim card in. So if you put a sim card in and you get a network connection its good to go.

For security reasons though, try to get the guys phone number and real name, I once bought a phone and it worked for a week. The then reported it stolen after selling me it, but I was able to prove he sold it by using his advertisement and he ended up admiting he sold it, his excuse was that his brother called in and said it was stolen. Unlikely that it will happen to you, but people do anything.

I heard from a bell rep, that alot of people were activating new iphones, then selling them for 500 and calling in saying they lost their device to try to get out of the contract. The person that gets hurt here is the purchaser of used goods.

Good luck
    09-06-12 02:26 PM
    t-mobile doesnt use esn (esn is for cdma phones verizon, sprint.etc). t-mobile phones uses imei and they dont block imei yet.. so reported stolen or not if you have an existing t-mobile sim card with bb data plan it will work with no problem..
    09-06-12 02:36 PM
    If its been reported stolen there will be a esn block so it will says sos when you put a sim card in. So if you put a sim card in and you get a network connection its good to go.

For security reasons though, try to get the guys phone number and real name, I once bought a phone and it worked for a week. The then reported it stolen after selling me it, but I was able to prove he sold it by using his advertisement and he ended up admiting he sold it, his excuse was that his brother called in and said it was stolen. Unlikely that it will happen to you, but people do anything.

I heard from a bell rep, that alot of people were activating new iphones, then selling them for 500 and calling in saying they lost their device to try to get out of the contract. The person that gets hurt here is the purchaser of used goods.

Good luck
    Thanks for the solid advice there! I'm not sure of a kosher way of getting someone's legit info with making it look like I'm accusing them of criminal activity! I do have the guys number (or I suppose it is his number haha)
    09-06-12 02:41 PM
    So I'm the proud new owner of a bold 9900! All checked out well and ran the imei by tmobile and they said all I well on their end. The metal bezel is actually less scratched than I thought but I may just go ahead and replace it. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the piece of plastic that is essentially the body (the black piece btwn the metal bezel and the battery door). Other than that I'm thrilled to have it!
    09-06-12 11:22 PM
    So I'm the proud new owner of a bold 9900! All checked out well and ran the imei by tmobile and they said all I well on their end. The metal bezel is actually less scratched than I thought but I may just go ahead and replace it. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the piece of plastic that is essentially the body (the black piece btwn the metal bezel and the battery door). Other than that I'm thrilled to have it!

Sweet!! Welcome to a REAL BlackBerry!
    09-06-12 11:44 PM

I have bought batteries from this guy on ebay and they were original BlackBerry. I assume the parts are too, but check with him before ordering.

BlackBerry Bold 9900 9930 Full Housing with Keypad+Trackpad+Bottom Piece NEW | eBay
    09-07-12 08:22 AM
    Another thing you can do:

Options menu by either clicking on the Options icon on your home screen or, if you have disabled dialing from your keypad, you can press the “O” key to be taken direction to the Options menu. From there, select the Status option and, once in the Status screen, type the word “test” (without the quotation marks, of course). You won’t see the word test as you’re typing it, but your BlackBerry will recognize the test command and begin a diagnostic assessment.
    09-07-12 08:31 AM
    Now that you have it you can customize it to suit your needs. If they didn't already you may wanna do a security wipe and update to the latest OS.
    09-07-12 09:00 AM
    I have bought batteries from this guy on ebay and they were original BlackBerry. I assume the parts are too, but check with him before ordering.

BlackBerry Bold 9900 9930 Full Housing with Keypad+Trackpad+Bottom Piece NEW | eBay

Those are after market parts, I can't understand why these sellers put 'original' or 'oem' when it isn't.

The only place you can get original parts are from another bold 9900 that was broken.
    I bought one for cheap and used it for parts.

Ofcourse if you don't care about fake parts then go ahead.

09-07-12 09:07 AM
    I'm assuming that by changing a couple of parts like these out, it is going to void my warranty yes? Then again...how much warranty work could I even expect to need?
    09-07-12 11:15 AM
    I'm assuming that by changing a couple of parts like these out, it is going to void my warranty yes? Then again...how much warranty work could I even expect to need?
    warranty has to be added to new phones before the 30 day.. im pretty sure your not going to be able to add it.. can always try but i doubt it
    09-07-12 12:02 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD