Hello dear pb users,
    I'd like to share with you all what I just found out. I visited a web page, it was full of text so i just held my PB in my right hand and was reading it. I tried to scroll the page with my left hand index finger but it was locked - i mean scroll-lock. Initially, i thought that there was some kind of problem with the PB so I just released my right hand grip from the bezel and surprisingly it started functioning again.
    I tried many times using both the hands and came to the conclusion that when you hold the bezel with one hand to read, the pressure of your thumb on the bezel activates scroll-lock that means you can't scroll it using your other hand unless you release the pressure of your thumb with which you're holding the pb.

Yeah, pb never fails to surprise me. It makes me wonder if I've really explored my pb that's why I don't find myself in the ideal place to demand for bb10 yet.
    08-31-12 09:27 AM
    Not on my PB.
    08-31-12 09:34 AM
    Not on my PB.
    Forgot to mention - I am running version 2.0.1.358 if it helps. In fact, I'm writing this on my playbook and it's working for every website including crackberry.com
    08-31-12 09:38 AM
    Not on my PB.
    Probably on your pb if you're holding it close to the screen edge where it is sensitive.
    08-31-12 09:38 AM
    I get the scroll through the side bezel but it doesn't remain locked... Scroll lock is actually when the scroll remains active until exited..
    08-31-12 09:39 AM
    On mine, touching the black border at either top corner will lock the screen
    usedberry, drum and anon(3641385) like this.
    08-31-12 09:52 AM
    It's not a lock. Your touching a sensitive area so other touches aren't recognized.
    08-31-12 10:02 AM
    There seems to be a difference between holding a finger on screen and on bezel.
    If I hold one thumb on screen the other other thumb will zoom or scroll slow. If I hold one thumb anywhere on the bezel I can't do anything else on screen. In either case I can't click links. Not sure I would call it a feature but only because I can't think of any useful purpose.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-31-12 10:40 AM
    It's not a lock. Your touching a sensitive area so other touches aren't recognized.

Well not quite true, remember PB's have multitouch. Pressing the bezel and trying to scroll with the other hand just as well could have triggered the pinch-to-zoom function. However it activates scroll-lock. Don't ask me why this is useful. But if you have an idea,let me know.

Have a nice day
    08-31-12 10:48 AM
    It seems I can't replicate the feature...
    08-31-12 12:26 PM
    It seems I can't replicate the feature...
    I'll try to help as i am the one who started the thread. Hold your pb with one hand in such a way that only your thumb is on the (side) bezel, apply a little pressure with your thumb on the bezel and now try to scroll the page using your other hand index finger by up/down movement on screen. Page won't scroll, now just release the thumb pressure on bezel and it will scroll fine now.
    Well, I am also trying to find the usage of this feature as it also disables clicking on the links until the thumb pressure is released. Hope you can replicate it now.
    shrinkbbuser likes this.
    08-31-12 02:04 PM
    Even I haven't been able to replicate.. Am on the 2.1.0.840 here..
    08-31-12 02:18 PM
    Lol highjacking a bit,

I discovered that if you swipe from top corner bezel, you'll be able to see the time,etc(top bar),unlike if you swipe from the middle of the bezel, which brings the app's options ^^

Never ceases to amaze me

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-31-12 02:24 PM
    Hello dear pb users,
    I'd like to share with you all what I just found out. I visited a web page, it was full of text so i just held my PB in my right hand and was reading it. I tried to scroll the page with my left hand index finger but it was locked - i mean scroll-lock. Initially, i thought that there was some kind of problem with the PB so I just released my right hand grip from the bezel and surprisingly it started functioning again.
    I tried many times using both the hands and came to the conclusion that when you hold the bezel with one hand to read, the pressure of your thumb on the bezel activates scroll-lock that means you can't scroll it using your other hand unless you release the pressure of your thumb with which you're holding the pb.

Yeah, pb never fails to surprise me. It makes me wonder if I've really explored my pb that's why I don't find myself in the ideal place to demand for bb10 yet.
    To me this is more akin to an annoying bug than a 'feature'
    08-31-12 02:35 PM
    Yes, this is working for me. I actually think it is useful. With it, you can be sure that when you are reading a page and you don't want random touches to scroll or zoom you away, this "locks" the screen in place. Maybe there is a smudge on the screen and I don't want to click or lose my place. I can hold the bezel and wipe all day long.

OTOH if you have one finger in an area of the screen and another finger in another, there is no locking, you will scroll or zoom out-of-place.
    Hgouck and anon(4267099) like this.
    08-31-12 02:39 PM
    With respect to the multi-touch thing, yes the PlayBook has the ability to detect four touch points, but no, it does not use all of them at all times. More precisely, the first touch is treated as the "mouse", and that's what generally is used to slide things around such as the web page in question. Subsequent touches are recognized (up to four total) by the hardware, but if the app in question cares only about the "mouse" then only the first one does anything.
    08-31-12 02:55 PM
    Lol highjacking a bit,

I discovered that if you swipe from top corner bezel, you'll be able to see the time,etc(top bar),unlike if you swipe from the middle of the bezel, which brings the app's options ^^

Never ceases to amaze me

Really? You didn't know about it? It's been mentioned hundreds of times but good that you know now.
    08-31-12 04:47 PM
    Lol highjacking a bit,

Never ceases to amaze me

Now Pedro how did you not know that oldie but goldie!!!

BTW you're in the PB Support Centre in Portugal aren't you? (Yes, I've had contact with that support centre - and you were excellent!!! )

Glad you joined up.
    Last edited by Heavens1; 08-31-12 at 06:24 PM.
    elbo likes this.
    08-31-12 06:22 PM
    I'll try to help as i am the one who started the thread. Hold your pb with one hand in such a way that only your thumb is on the (side) bezel, apply a little pressure with your thumb on the bezel and now try to scroll the page using your other hand index finger by up/down movement on screen. Page won't scroll, now just release the thumb pressure on bezel and it will scroll fine now.
    Well, I am also trying to find the usage of this feature as it also disables clicking on the links until the thumb pressure is released. Hope you can replicate it now.
    Either I'm dumb or my PB doesn't have this feature... I wonder if you could tape it maybe? I'm not saying you can't do it. I do think I've seen he PB refuse to scroll at times, just can't do it the way you said.
    08-31-12 08:20 PM
    Only way I can replicate is by putting 4 fingers on one of the bezels close to the screen at once to "max out" the multitouch and stop it detecting the other finger on the screen... Do you have a lumpy hand by any chance which is being picked up as 4 separate points?
    Last edited by Donnee; 08-31-12 at 08:42 PM.
    diegonei and adi_vastava like this.
    08-31-12 08:40 PM
    That's not an intended "feature." You're holding your PlayBook improperly. I've had this happen with mine, and like another poster said, it's more an annoyance than a feature. What useful benefit could there possibly be for it?
    08-31-12 09:21 PM
    Only way I can replicate is by putting 4 fingers on one of the bezels close to the screen at once to "max out" the multitouch and stop it detecting the other finger on the screen... Do you have a lumpy hand by any chance which is being picked up as 4 separate points?
    Now that worked... After a few attempts.
    08-31-12 09:59 PM
    Interesting. It works as the OP described, on my PB. I also have the BB mini keyboard and notice that it won't work if using the track pad to scroll. What use does it have? Since it also prevents any links from working, it allows for screen cleaning while browsing. Other than that, it just means you could read the screen without fear of it moving! Which might be useful if you have double tapped or pinched to zoom in.
    usedberry likes this.
    08-31-12 10:08 PM
    I found this out a while back and I posted it in the things to know about your Playbook thread.

However, now that I upgraded to the latest 2.1.0.840 Beta this "feature" is no longer there and I actually miss it! For those of you calling it useless and annoying, well I hope someday you get a persistent smudge/piece of dirt on your screen and have to remove it
    Last edited by Vector-SS; 09-01-12 at 01:17 AM.
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-01-12 01:09 AM
    I realise this function months ago. Just didnt think it was a secret. Im surprise the amount of persons who didnt know of it.... I suppose using the playbook as my "personal computer" i pick up a few know hows here and there.
    09-01-12 01:29 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD