Kobo has worked great for six months. Now if my Playbook is not on the internet, and I try to access my Kobo books I get a white screen, bookmark symbol, and a continuous rotating "loading" symbol. I deleted and reloaded the Kobo app and my books. Still can't read off line!
    08-26-12 06:29 PM
    Were you ever able to read offline? I was under the impression Kobo's books were all kept online, which is why you can't access them with other e-book readers.
    08-26-12 09:51 PM
    Kobo has worked great for six months. Now if my Playbook is not on the internet, and I try to access my Kobo books I get a white screen, bookmark symbol, and a continuous rotating "loading" symbol. I deleted and reloaded the Kobo app and my books. Still can't read off line!
    I've just tried reading one of my ebooks in Kobo (with both bridge and wifi off) and don't have any probs.

Have you tried opening up your Kobo account on the P C ?

Go into your account and make sure everything looks like it's working - then find a free Kobo book and send it to your PB.

All Kobo books need to be initially loaded onto the PB through your Kobo account, but then they remain on the PB until you delete them.
    08-26-12 10:03 PM
    Were you ever able to read offline? I was under the impression Kobo's books were all kept online, which is why you can't access them with other e-book readers.
    Nope - once you've downloaded a Kobo ebook onto your PB it remains there until you delete it.
    08-26-12 10:04 PM
    I have this problem too after the recent OS update. It's not a permanent fix, but when you're at the white screen with the rotating symbol, click on the library button at the top bar and then select your book from there. It should then load. The problem with this is that you have to do it every time you start the app.
    08-26-12 11:40 PM
    I have the same problem, but pressing the library key does nothing. I've tried restarting the PB with no effect. It just sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Now when its working (I read in portrait) I get a vertical line close to the right side. I have to tilt to landscape wait for the screen to adjust, then back to portrait. This all started after the OS update to 668. All of this while showing an iPerson how well the PB works
    08-27-12 07:00 AM
    Yep, I have the same problem. No internet, no Kobo.

Without a connection (Bridge works fine) I can load the Kobo app but I can't load any books in. Just get a white screen and pink spinner - and the green book mark, but it never loads a book. Tapping LIBRARY does nothing.

Turn internet on and it loads. Turn internet off (leaving Kobo open) and Kobo still works. Can close a book and load another one. Strange.

Running 668 and not sure when this started.
    08-27-12 10:14 AM
    All books I downloaded work offline. The issue may be that the books you're trying to access didn't download yet.

Kobo is such a hit and miss... 1.4.2 is bugged on most devices and 1.4.2.1 isn't available in AppWorld, only by OS update.
    08-27-12 10:24 AM
    I have the same problem, but pressing the library key does nothing. I've tried restarting the PB with no effect. It just sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Now when its working (I read in portrait) I get a vertical line close to the right side. I have to tilt to landscape wait for the screen to adjust, then back to portrait. This all started after the OS update to 668. All of this while showing an iPerson how well the PB works
    Hmm....try swiping down from the top bezel so that that the settings panel disappears then swipe down again and try pressing the library key. It should work... But yeah, all of these problems are very annoying =/
    08-27-12 03:15 PM
    Hey guys, I've been facing the exact same problem with Kobo and the library button when opening app won't always work. Do you have any idea as to who we should be contacting to resolve this issue? Blachberry or Kopo?
    08-31-12 07:43 AM
    Hi all - I'm having exactly the same problem, only since about 2 weeks ago - prior to that I could access all my ebooks offline no problem. Like others, i find that clicking the library icon while in Airline Mode sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, so it's very unpredictable and very frustrating. As I bought the PB with the Kobo app with the aim of reading during longhaul flights and on holiday, this just isn't satisfactory at all. I've emailed Kobo and so far just got the standard auto reply. Just need to watch this space I guess.....
    09-03-12 03:48 AM
    Which OS are you running ?
    09-03-12 04:03 AM
    Just checked that i could read stuff with the kobo app while offline and everything is working, but why cant you sideload books you already have.
    I much prefer the android version as it allows the sideloading, it really makes me angry when the android apps have more features than the native ones.
    09-03-12 04:34 AM
    Folks, if you read the 668 issue threads - you will find that this is an OS issue. In order to get Kobo books back offline, you will have to downgrade the OS.
    09-03-12 02:53 PM
    Did you update the OS around the time this happened.

Same thing happened to me when I upgraded to OS .668 Kobo along with Solitaire would get the white screen and loading circle.

When I installed the the .840 beta both apps worlrd again.
    09-03-12 03:52 PM
    Seems that the OS update is confirmed as the cause for this problem - see the reply I got from Kobo earlier:

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble reading your books on your BlackBerry PlayBook without Wifi. Due to the recent Update to the BlackBerry PlayBook Software, reading books with the Kobo Application while not Connected to Wifi is no longer an Option. To read books on your BlackBerry PlayBook, you will need to be Connected to Wifi.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. However, our Development Team and RIM are working hard on a solution to correct this issue. Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to provide an exact Timeframe on when this will be corrected. Please Update your Kobo Application whenever possible to take advantage of the updates available.

This is just so inconvenient and I feel really unhappy about it. I just hope they will resolve it soon. However if it persists, I'll think about taking a backward step!! As a bit of a non-techie , can anyone please tell me how to undo the recent update and revert back to the previous version? Thanks.
    09-04-12 04:04 AM
    These answers are not encouraging.

As of today my Kobo books still don't open - on line or offline.

I'm connected to WiFi at home and they don't open OS 1088.

They worked fine under 1032 - but there were other Playbook issues with that OS - blah.

A reader SHOULD have books stay accessible while not connected.

EVERY other reader does - including my wife's Kobo Vox reader.

I'm miffed - to put it mildly.

TL
    10-28-12 01:31 PM

They worked fine under 1032 - but there were other Playbook issues with that OS - blah.

TL
    The Kobo Reader does keep your books in storage for you to read offline. Do this, delete the Kobo application, and trigger a software update in your PlayBook. It should give you a small update. After that download any book you have in the account and disconnect wifi.

That should work.
    10-28-12 01:38 PM
    You can read Kobo while offline. Try uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it.
    10-28-12 01:42 PM

TL
    I know this will sound frustrating to you, but Kobo works great for me, on-line and off-line.

So, like the previous 2 posters, I'm wondering if it's a set up or OS related problem.

Please let us know the result after you've done what they've suggested.
    10-28-12 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD