Like in any other platforms, the Facebook App is written by Facebook themselves. Only RIM decided to make their own app and now doesn't even support it. WHY?

Can someone explain why?

Does it cost a lot of money to ask FB Devs to develop a Facebook App for BlackBerry Products?
    08-23-12 02:08 PM
    Like in any other platforms, the Facebook App is written by Facebook themselves. Only RIM decided to make their own app and now doesn't even support it. WHY?

Can someone explain why?

Does it cost a lot of money to ask FB Devs to develop a Facebook App for BlackBerry Products?
    What makes you think they don't support it?
    08-23-12 02:10 PM
    What makes you think they don't support it?
    Well, the app hasn't been updated since last year.

Viewing pictures takes about a minute to load. And no it's not my internet connection.

Can't even change your profile picture, have to use the browser to do it.

Sometimes I get notifications that just won't open in the app, so I have to use the browser.

Don't get me wrong, the browser is awesome but a tablet that is 7" it's hard to navigate.

There are plenty of features missing and problems within the app, just read the reviews on App World.
    08-23-12 02:27 PM
    Quite sure they will give us stellar FB on BB10.

If I am right, updating the one we have now would be wasted effort. But hey, what do I know...
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    08-23-12 02:35 PM
    The Playbook wasn't designed for social media use. I'm not exactly sure what it was designed for, but I know it wasn't for twitter and Facebook.

Why do you expect RIM to support the app?? You should feel lucky there is even an app for Facebook.
    08-23-12 02:37 PM

If I am right, updating the one we have now would be wasted effort. But hey, what do I know...
    They could always let FB develop the app for them. Don't devs have all the tools they need to make BB10 apps that can also run on the Playbook?
    08-23-12 02:38 PM
    A native Twitter app made by RIM would be better.
    08-23-12 02:55 PM
    A native Twitter app made by RIM would be better.
    Keep dreaming.

The android one, however, works great on the Playbook.
    08-23-12 02:57 PM
    I seem to remember the facebook app on WP7 being build by microsoft.

Edit: my bad, just realised this was the playbook forum. Yeah, the facebook app for playbook kinda sucked. But I'm sure it'll be better on BB10, no point wasting time on PBOS. I think they did the app themselves partly because they want deeper integration with the OS?

Sent from RIMpire BlackBerry using the force
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 08-23-12 at 03:17 PM.
    08-23-12 03:10 PM
    The Playbook wasn't designed for social media use. I'm not exactly sure what it was designed for, but I know it wasn't for twitter and Facebook.
    So a tablet that isn't designed for social networking? It already doesn't do productivity well and it doesn't do email or communication well either.

It appears RIM doesn't even know what the PlayBook is designed for.
    08-23-12 03:20 PM
    Android FB app is legendary for how bad it is (till recently, in all fairness). Maybe Google should have done the same.
    08-23-12 03:28 PM
    Android FB app is legendary for how bad it is (till recently, in all fairness). Maybe Google should have done the same.
    Apparently Zuckerberg forces staff to use the Android version (if they have iPhones, they must not use them and use an Android instead) to remind them how bad it is, presumably in an effort to encourage them to improve it. Not sure how long this has been happening, but I hope it works...
    08-23-12 03:35 PM
    It's for legacy reasons that RIM builds their own Facebook and Twitter apps. Because of RIM's previous architecture, they didn't want to let Facebook or Twitter into their own environment. So they build their own apps instead. It also lets RIM do more integrated apps (since they have more access to API's that Facebook and Twitter wouldn't). Don't expect this to change with BB10...
    snarlybear, diegonei and j21jam6 like this.
    08-23-12 03:39 PM
    RIM don't really support their "native" apps (mostly flash alias adobe air) on the playbook anymore, cause they building nearly everything new for BB10. Playbook uses Flash for most apps, but BB10 will use cascades instead, so BB10 will have a complete new set of native apps - most likely including a better facebook app.
    Facebooks support Android and IPhone because they have to - they are the leading mobile platform. But PB-OS is currently on a single device, so why should they waste developers on it?
    08-23-12 04:26 PM
    Well, the app hasn't been updated since last year.
    Wrong. It was updated at the end of February. That update gave it portrait orientation.
    08-23-12 05:01 PM
    They could always let FB develop the app for them. Don't devs have all the tools they need to make BB10 apps that can also run on the Playbook?
    Mobile Facebook is killing fb shares. I don't even think that fb is very happy with any app, developed by them or any other person.
    08-23-12 07:35 PM

Why do you expect RIM to support the app?? You should feel lucky there is even an app for Facebook.
    This kind of response is the reason that I stopped posting as often on the forums. It Seems that if anyone has anything other than a Stellar review of something BlackBerry or RIM related they get blasted for it. I think the Facebook app on the PlayBook sucks too! It's so limited. Why not be able to say that? RIM has so much to work on if they expect to compete with BB10 against the Nexus or the Soon to be released iPad Mini... If that drops, you can rest assured that your PlayBooks are going to be the next HP Touchpads.

Sad because I love my PlayBook. I'm so used to the Bezel gestures that I find it hard to use my Android phone or my iPod Touch sometimes.

Pretty sure that there's nothing wrong with this thread or most of what was said.

Facebook, please hook RIM up with a decent app!

Thanks!
    A concerned PlayBook owner.
    08-23-12 07:44 PM

You hit the nail on the head
    diegonei likes this.
    08-23-12 08:12 PM
    So a tablet that isn't designed for social networking? It already doesn't do productivity well and it doesn't do email or communication well either.

It appears RIM doesn't even know what the PlayBook is designed for.
    LOL I'm a playbook owner and love it but I my self have wondered if RIM knew what it was designed for.
    08-24-12 01:59 AM
    Oh my, you don't say! Here is a little news tip for you: RIM also build the FB app for phones. What does that tell you about FB willingness to code for BlackBerry?

��

It's for legacy reasons that RIM builds their own Facebook and Twitter apps. Because of RIM's previous architecture, they didn't want to let Facebook or Twitter into their own environment. So they build their own apps instead. It also lets RIM do more integrated apps (since they have more access to API's that Facebook and Twitter wouldn't). Don't expect this to change with BB10...
    And this too.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-24-12 at 07:17 AM.
    08-24-12 07:12 AM
    It's for legacy reasons that RIM builds their own Facebook and Twitter apps. Because of RIM's previous architecture, they didn't want to let Facebook or Twitter into their own environment. So they build their own apps instead.
    Come on now. Now that is good spin

I guess MS is doing the same?
    08-24-12 07:52 AM
    Remember that with their smartphones Facebook is one of the apps that does NOT need a full data plan to function. Chances are for whatever reason on the PlayBook RIM chose to develop the facebook app themselves
    08-24-12 09:05 AM
    It's buggy, I hate it. The chat doesn't work well either. Would be better suited for a 3.5-inch phone..
    08-26-12 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD