My brother bought a blackberry bold 9780 a year ago. After some months the screen broke, my brother was furious because he couldn't get a refund. He bought the Iphone 4S afterwards. After a few months of deep hatred for RIM and everything that has to do with Blackberry he thought it would be a good idea to try and repair it and use the blackberry bold as his backup phone.

He bought a new screen, opened up the phone and connected it. Everything worked at first and he could use his blackberry again. But after a few days the screen turned white. He was completely fed up with it and gave it to me, he said if I could make it work again I could have his blackberry.

So now I have a blackberry bold 9780 with a white screen, I've tried some things, but nothing seems to work, is there anybody that can help me? It would be a good and free upgrade from my curve 3G.
    Last edited by Made in flanders; 08-22-12 at 02:59 AM.
    08-22-12 02:45 AM
    Well, first of all tell us a little more about it. Is the screen completely white? I mean, when you power it on, does it says blackberry or does it stays all white? Maybe it's the software. Have you tried doing a wipe and then installing a new one? If you don't know how, check out the help and tips section. Good luck!
    Made in flanders likes this.
    08-22-12 05:59 PM
    Thank you for the respons!

When I start the Bold, the screen goes from black to plain white in 1 second, and it stays there.
    I've already tried installing new software, but that didn't change anything.
    08-23-12 04:37 AM
    Mmm did you do a wipe? If you had and it did not work (or if you do and it does not), it's probably a hardware matter. Maybe it's the plaque or the flex which is highly likely. You should consider in going to a technician.
    Best of luck and if you have any doubts, tell me

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9780 Argentina
    08-23-12 09:46 AM
    isn't a wipe the same as installing the software again?
    08-23-12 10:09 AM
    isn't a wipe the same as installing the software again?
    No. A device wipe is much more thorough than overlaying an OS. This is how you would want to wipe.
    08-23-12 01:31 PM
    Had the same problem about a month ago. If the phone is still covered on the manufacturer's warranty, this issue is covered. problem is, i doubt you can figure that out. i've had mine a little over a year and when it happened i was pissed too, but I love blackberry too much to give up cuz my phone breaks every other year or so. It is a mechanical defect, so it is covered under the warranty. Otherwise, if you add it as your primary phone through you service provider and add insurance on it, you could get a refurbished one, but it might cost a little bit of money. I know mine would have been about 130. Just letting you know that this is covered under the manufacturer's warranty, but the warranty might be void now that somebody has fiddled with it and changed the screen on it.
    08-25-12 07:22 AM
    Had the same problem about a month ago. If the phone is still covered on the manufacturer's warranty, this issue is covered. problem is, i doubt you can figure that out. i've had mine a little over a year and when it happened i was pissed too, but I love blackberry too much to give up cuz my phone breaks every other year or so. It is a mechanical defect, so it is covered under the warranty. Otherwise, if you add it as your primary phone through you service provider and add insurance on it, you could get a refurbished one, but it might cost a little bit of money. I know mine would have been about 130. Just letting you know that this is covered under the manufacturer's warranty, but the warranty might be void now that somebody has fiddled with it and changed the screen on it.
    Thank you for your replie.
    But the phone isn't covered anymore, first the screen broke and they refused to give a new one. So my brother bought a new screen and tried to repair it himself. It worked for a day or so, but then the screen got white.

Actually, about the white screen, it isn't completely white, it is some blue-white and there are stripes, so I guess it is a hardware problem.
    08-25-12 09:38 AM
    The 9780 has one or two very distinct screen model #s, so make sure you have one of those. I think one model# is 422 or something like that. Search these forums, or google it and you'll have the exact answer.

You also want to make sure you have an OEM screen, not a cheap knock-off.
    08-25-12 01:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD