Should VZW give those willing to stick with 3G unlimited data? I plan on keeping the Bold and since it doesn't support LTE, their new data share plan doesn't really work out well for folks with my situation.
    08-21-12 02:49 PM
    You need to get a new device if you switch to VZW. VZW will not activate devices branded to Sprint (or any other carrier). VZW only activates devices with its own branding, which is in a database of ESNs.
    08-21-12 02:51 PM
    I plan on moving my family plan over to VZ, and stick to the 9930.

My coworker also wanted to know. She's hesitant about upgrading her old Bold to the new 9930 because she'd lose the unlimited 3G data.

You need to get a new device if you switch to VZW. VZW will not activate devices branded to Sprint (or any other carrier).
    08-21-12 02:53 PM
    I plan on moving my family plan over to VZ, and stick to the 9930.

My coworker also wanted to know. She's hesitant about upgrading her old Bold to the new 9930 because she'd lose the unlimited 3G data.
    I believe that your coworker could keep unlimited 3G data, provided she pays full retail for the 9930 or buys a used device.

I do not believe VZW is offering any unlimited 3G data plans to new customers or customers who upgrade and get a new subsidized device.
    08-21-12 02:56 PM
    She's hesitant to pay $100 at Best Buy for the upgrade, so I don't think she'd pay full price or $300 for a used one.
    08-21-12 02:58 PM
    She's hesitant to pay $100 at Best Buy for the upgrade, so I don't think she'd pay full price or $300 for a used one.
    That appears to be the only way to keep the unlimited data, whether or not the device is 3G or LTE.

With the introduction of shared data plans, Verizon stopped offering smartphone subsidies to anyone who prefers to keep his or her unlimited plans. Last year, the carrier discontinued unlimited plans for all new subscribers altogether.
    Verizon's Higher Data Tiers May Entice Unlimited Data Users - Forbes
    08-21-12 03:04 PM
    Verizon has very little 3g phones. We just recently, 2 months ago, switched back to them. We had USCC but we moved to a area we got poor reception. So what we did was activate older, used phones, 3g with Verizon. That way we wasnt tied to a contract and we didnt have the heafty ETF. Only one of our 3 lines has a contract phone and thats because my husband wanted a 4g LTE device.

Verizon can only make you switch to their new plans if you choose to sign a new contract with them. They can refuse to give you the insurance on a used item I am told. But if your buying your devices used anyways, to keep your unlimited plan, then why bother with the insurance cause you could probaly replace the phone pretty cheap. The shared data plans are much higher prices so if you only have a couple of smart phones it could save you some money. But not if you have a family line with 4 or more phones. Smart phones get charged 40 for the data share and non data required basic phones get charged 30, on top of your base plan price.

You can get used devices from non corporate Verizons stores, off of craigs list, ebay etc... much cheaper than usually buying a device directly from Verizon. Also we shop around at Target, Best Buy and Walmart when were buying brand new products from Verizon because you can get the new devices much cheaper that way. My husband got his brand new Motorola Razr 4LTE device for free with a $100 gift card from Walmart. Those are some good options if your thinking about switching to Verizon.
    Last edited by MaryJane197; 08-22-12 at 03:58 PM.
    wazzugrad likes this.
    08-22-12 03:51 PM
    They would probably prefer to push people to LTE rather than reward them for not upgrading...
    08-22-12 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD