Hi Guys

Were using BES 5 and management are getting more and more frustrated with people using their own email accounts e.g. hotmail, gmail on their devices.

I know I need to change settings (per device) to FIREWALL - INCOMING MESSAGES - BLOCK BIS.

But the user will soon find out how to stop this, is there a way that we can push it out using a IT policy on BES?

Regards
    James
    08-20-12 07:23 AM
    I didn't know BIS worked off a BES connected handset.

Are we talking 3rd party applications here?
    08-21-12 01:57 AM
    Yes, the BIS accounts may still be added without an issue, up to 10 mailboxes.

Its not a 3rd party application, you just add the accounts using the email setup wizard.

Regards
    08-21-12 02:00 AM
    Really?

We have never been able to do this..... I'm going to try this now.
    08-21-12 08:05 PM
    Nope I can't do it.

Are you sure your handsets are activated correctly?

When I setup our BB devices, I connect them via USB and assign that device to a user in the BES web interface.

After that, if you try to 'add' another email address via the email setup wizard, the only option available is BES email and it over writes the current email.

So with our BES, we can only have 1 address per device.
    08-21-12 08:11 PM
    Nope I can't do it.

Are you sure your handsets are activated correctly?
    I think the more obvious question is; are you sure your BES isn't the one blocking BIS accounts? Like the OP, I've never had an issue adding BIS mail accounts to a BES-activated phone.
    08-26-12 09:35 AM
    I think the more obvious question is; are you sure your BES isn't the one blocking BIS accounts? Like the OP, I've never had an issue adding BIS mail accounts to a BES-activated phone.
    Exactly - Austerror could you find out your policy for me! we need this.

We activate over the air with our BES. But as stated, can still add up to 10 accounts. This was the same at both my previous places of work too.

Regards
    08-28-12 02:58 AM
    I know I need to change settings (per device) to FIREWALL - INCOMING MESSAGES - BLOCK BIS.

But the user will soon find out how to stop this, is there a way that we can push it out using a IT policy on BES?
    It's in the SECURITY group in the IT Policy, Firewall Block Incoming Messages > BlackBerry Internet Service Messages.

Also you may want to have a look in the SERVICE EXCLUSIVITY group.
    10-02-12 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD