Where are the best places to buy a blackberry? I've been looking on amazon, but wanted to know if any of you knew a better site, maybe cheaper? I checked overstock.com but it was old stuff overpriced.
    08-17-12 02:57 AM
    where do you live? New or used?
    08-17-12 05:29 AM
    Crackberry has some for free with a 2 year activation. generally good prices otherwise.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-17-12 06:14 PM
    I've always gotten smokin' good deals on eBay. You gotta be careful, though...
    08-17-12 06:31 PM
    I've always gotten smokin' good deals on eBay. You gotta be careful, though...
    True that.
    08-17-12 09:15 PM
    I would not recommend buying "new" devices from eBay/Craigslist/etc from individual sellers. There have been many incidences of phones getting their IMEIs or ESNs blocked, as people buy from their carriers, don't make payments and sell the device. The carriers are not very sympathetic to the end buyer.
    08-17-12 09:32 PM
    I would not recommend buying "new" devices from eBay/Craigslist/etc from individual sellers. There have been many incidences of phones getting their IMEIs or ESNs blocked, as people buy from their carriers, don't make payments and sell the device. The carriers are not very sympathetic to the end buyer.
    sorry to hijack the topic but i have a buddy that said he was getting a bb from a relative, and that it was locked by the carrier. he asked me if he unlocked it, and put in a new sim whether or not it would work out for him....and i said that I was pretty sure that it would have worked.

according to you raino, seems I couldnt be more wrong. Is that how they do it, via the IMEIs ?
    08-17-12 09:36 PM
    sorry to hijack the topic but i have a buddy that said he was getting a bb from a relative, and that it was locked by the carrier. he asked me if he unlocked it, and put in a new sim whether or not it would work out for him....and i said that I was pretty sure that it would have worked.

according to you raino, seems I couldnt be more wrong. Is that how they do it, via the IMEIs ?
    Locked is a different thing lol. What it means is that the phone is programmed to accept only the original carrier's SIM. Unlocking is legal in most places, and would allow your friend to use it (if he has a different carrier than the relative.)
    Last edited by raino; 08-17-12 at 09:53 PM. Reason: totally mis-answered the question...in detail.
    08-17-12 09:50 PM
    EDIT: Best Buy is selling Bold 9900's for $99 on contract until September 1 apparently. I'm sure there are 1,000,001 stipulations, but check it out if it applies to you.
    Last edited by dalton4L; 08-17-12 at 09:58 PM.
    08-17-12 09:52 PM
    I have a related question.

I have the opportunity of trading my PlayBook and some cash for an AT&T Bold 9900 tomorrow (shameless pseudo-plug: I have a thread in the marketplace as WTT 32GB PlayBook). The seller seems cool/legit, but there's a possibility the 9900 could be rendered useless down the road if he/she screws up with AT&T?

What if I transfer the Bold 9900 to my active device?
    AT&T is not blacklisting (yet) for non-payment, and AFAIK, they don't have a sales model (yet) that requires multiple handset payments. They do, however, blacklist stolen handsets, and these do not work on any carrier in the US.

I would ask him the PIN, and BBM him on that phone. If it gets delivered/replied to, and assuming he gave you that particular phone's PIN, you should be ok.
    08-17-12 10:02 PM
    ive almost always got my devices from the classified sections of android central, crackberry, howardforums and imore. i dont bother with amazon or ebay for stuff like this.
    08-18-12 04:19 PM
    UPDATE: family is thinking of changing carriers and my mom is tired of contracts (everyone is) so i was doing research and found straighttalk a good price and more and the same for boostmobile.

Straighttalk
    sim options, so unlocked phones or other gsm phones
    45 unlimited

boostmobile
    have to buy their phones but they have the BB 9310 ($100) id have to pay 60 bb plan
    60 unlimited but decreases* 5 bucks a month till 45 buck. family would pay for non bb plan ($50 down to $35)

* decrease caused by continued service

so if we go with boost, ill get bb 9310, if not, i may have to buy the 9790 from amazon for $415

i hope the keyboard bb10 device is priced well

thx for all advice, also anythoughts of the 9310 or 9790? maybe ill find a 9930 cheap, works on gsm and cdma right?
    08-19-12 01:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD