News just in that RIM is laying off 95 people in its 500-person Bedford, Nova Scotia call centre. RIM's english-language Playbook support is based at this facility (although I don't know the proportion of staff dedicated solely to Playbook).

Hope this doesn't mean a tougher time getting support for our tablets.

Dave
    08-16-12 01:34 PM
    The layoffs will affect the end user experience in a negative way. It's unfortunate.
    08-16-12 01:45 PM
    Blahh... my home town.
    08-16-12 01:54 PM
    Damn in this economy I feel for them. Maybe RIM can turn it around.
    anon(3641385) and bungaboy like this.
    08-16-12 02:10 PM
    The layoffs will affect the end user experience in a negative way. It's unfortunate.
    Thanks for your (first) post. Maybe the layoffs were because the product is getting stronger and the need for tech support is diminishing (the ratios of technicians to calls is out of whack). The user experience should be fine.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-16-12 02:30 PM
    Should be fine, I'm from uk and my 'personal' playbook helper is from abroad.
    08-16-12 02:38 PM
    Well they can always come here for free help you know
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-16-12 02:45 PM
    Here in Australia we get sent to Portugal for our PB support.

Yikes I hear you say!!

Yeah .... doesn't make much sense to me either ..... however my experiences with the people in that office are positive .... their English was excellent and they didn't have probs with my Aussie accent - nor me with their Portuguese English.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-16-12 06:45 PM
    I was staying in a hotel in Halifax and needed help with my daughter's PB.

The tech support was in either Costa Rica or Belize. Don't remember now but I found it interesting. The tech support person was originally from Switzerland.

English was great and so was the service.

Sorry to see job losses in Canada's Ocean Playground.

Go RIM Go.
    08-16-12 07:30 PM
    Thanks for your (first) post. Maybe the layoffs were because the product is getting stronger and the need for tech support is diminishing (the ratios of technicians to calls is out of whack). The user experience should be fine.
    Just read crackberry, then you know that is untrue
    08-16-12 07:50 PM
    Or, perhaps this is the reason..
    IDC forecast: iPad up, Android down, BlackBerry irrelevant | Business Tech - CNET News
    08-16-12 08:39 PM
    PB is no longer the primary focus, that's why.
    08-16-12 08:43 PM
    Why are you even here anyway? Isn't there some obscure windows phone forum that you can stir up?
    08-16-12 08:44 PM
    I guess I better hurry up and send in my issue with my chargers :/
    08-16-12 08:47 PM
    Was there something in the article that was untrue or part of the media conspiracy?

DoctorEvil gave his opinion, and I posted an article about Playbook sales or lack thereof. No sales could account for layoffs in a support group. Was there something incorrect in the article?

BTW - layoffs, under any conditions, stink.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    08-16-12 08:48 PM
    Layoffs for PlayBook support right after they release the 4G LTE? Interesting.. Btw here in the US mine gets sent to a repair facility somewhere in the US i think Tennessee i forget. But when i call i speak to support in Nova Scotia. Also id like to give a huge shout out to the nice lady from the customer loyalty team in Nova Scotia that upgraded my 16GB PlayBook to a 64GB 2 thumbs up to her..

Also im out of work now & i have no unemployment.. Its sucks to say the least.. So i wish everyone getting laid off the best of luck
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-17-12 03:30 AM
    Layoffs for PlayBook support right after they release the 4G LTE? Interesting.. Btw here in the US mine gets sent to a repair facility somewhere in the US i think Tennessee i forget. But when i call i speak to support in Nova Scotia. Also id like to give a huge shout out to the nice lady from the customer loyalty team in Nova Scotia that upgraded my 16GB PlayBook to a 64GB 2 thumbs up to her..

Also im out of work now & i have no unemployment.. Its sucks to say the least.. So i wish everyone getting laid off the best of luck
    08-17-12 03:31 AM
    Layoffs for PlayBook support right after they release the 4G LTE? Interesting..
    A lot of the CS for the 4G version is likely to be directed at carriers since they are the ones who generally sell them.
    08-17-12 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD