OK, this is a long story but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever run into the same thing and whether I'm being lied to by Rogers.

So I did an early hardware upgrade ("HUP") on Sunday to a BB 9360. The phone was defective so I brought it back to Rogers on Monday (I didn't use any features, not even WiFi or voice) and got a replacement. I went home Monday night and the same problem on the second device so I went back to the same store yesterday to change to a 9810 (assuming the batch of 9360s that they had would all have the same problem, and again, I didn't even take the phone out of the box).

Their policy, as with all carriers, is that within 15 days and as long as you don't speak more than 30 minutes, you can return the phone for a replacement, change or cancel the account with no penalties.

So yesterday when I was there, they told me that they could not do this, because their computer system would not allow them to cancel the original and setup with the Torch, even though I am well within my Buyer's Remorse period.

The guy behind the desk called his "help desk" twice and they advised him there was nothing that they could do.

Now is the ridiculous part: I was told that the only way they can resolve this is for the salesman at the store to send an email to the store manager (who just happened not to be there), then the manager will forward the request to the District Manager, who will in turn send to some "special team" (who knows that that is) who will decide whether to approve/reject my request. And this will take 72 hours or more.

I personally spoke with Customer Retention (mind you, I've been a customer for 9 years and that includes cable tv and at one point internet as well) and they also advised me that there was nothing they could do, and I had to wait for the DM to get involved.

Have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous in all your life? Retention told me that there should have been no problem switching to the Torch on the spot. The store is telling me that it's due to changing the model that causes the DM to get involved. That is total bunk and I think I'm getting the runaround for no reason.

Does anyone here have any high-up contacts at Rogers who could potentially help me out? I can't even cancel the line altogether at this point!

Unreal. I need some moral support here folks.
    08-15-12 10:57 AM
    Drop me a PM with your email and I'll get you in touch with the right office.
    08-15-12 07:54 PM
    Hopefully you can get this sorted out man! Rogers customer service isnt the greatest. All though I have never had a problem with their technical support.
    I think you are well within your right to get the Torch, dont settle for anything less!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using the CB App!
    08-15-12 10:09 PM
    the only time the system should not allow them to swap the device is if it is past the 30 minutes or past the 15 days. Keep in mind that the timer on the phone is not a proper indication of your return policy. Its 30 minutes but not 30 total minutes. A 10 second call will count as a minute on the policy. As long as your within that policy, there should be no reason why the swap to a different device shouldnt work.
    08-16-12 12:27 AM
    the only time the system should not allow them to swap the device is if it is past the 30 minutes or past the 15 days. Keep in mind that the timer on the phone is not a proper indication of your return policy. Its 30 minutes but not 30 total minutes. A 10 second call will count as a minute on the policy. As long as your within that policy, there should be no reason why the swap to a different device shouldnt work.
    I am not big fun of rogers but my corporatw plan is good and it is billed per second.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-12 03:22 AM
    So it looks like maybe I have gotten some satisfaction, but not without pain.

I was so p***ed off that I called Investor Relations, Consumer Relations and the DM (who never called me back of course). I spoke with Retention again, the guy actually told me that if they don't give me whatever phone I want, I should sue them. That's coming from a Rogers employee!!!

Yesterday, the same store manager told me he couldn't access my account with Retention unless he had my PIN (they wouldn't give him any info - at least they do something right). So I emailed him my PIN (without any other info in the email) thinking he'd call in himself. Well, he emailed the PIN to everyone in the store asking someone (anyone) who was working at the time to call in to Retention to try to get this resolved. So now everyone in the store has my account info and PIN in writing. Unreal.

Email from manager saying he was unsuccessful and I have to wait 3-8 days for this to be resolved. It apparently is a "system error", where, according to him, the Cancel button was disabled after I did the first defective exchange. Perhaps. However that's not my issue and I shouldn't have to wait a week for them to fix a software problem in their system.

Enough was enough. I emailed Ellen Roseman at the Toronto Star, she's a consumer advocate for the big 3 (Bell, Rogers, Telus) and always gets results. I emailed her the whole story and about 2 hours later I got a call from the President's Office at Rogers saying that the software issue was fixed and I can pick up any phone I want. I wasn't able to get to the store before they closed tonight so I'll be there tomorrow. The manager above said he'd be there.

As an aside, I also consulted with a lawyer (through my employer's EAP program - awesome free 30 minute consult!) who said that there is some basis but it would take months for it to get through the ridiculous Canadian (Toronto) courts before they even look at it due to backlog, bureaucracy, etc.

They've put me through on this one.

So I decided that it's time to take away some of the business I give them, and cancelled my cable tv account and am having another company's installation next week. Not that they'll be any better, or that Rogers will care but it's just for my own satisfaction.

Film at 11.
    08-16-12 09:49 PM
    When I go in tomorrow, I fully expect problems again but we'll see.

I was originally thinking of the white 9810 but am also pondering a 9790. Will decide tomorrow on the spot.

Wish me luck.
    08-16-12 09:53 PM
    good luck today! hopefully you'll be able to get the phone with no hassles I agree though, Rogers customer service sucks.
    08-17-12 09:43 AM
    good luck today! hopefully you'll be able to get the phone with no hassles I agree though, Rogers customer service sucks.
    Thanks for the moral support.

I'll update this tonight.
    08-17-12 09:46 AM
    I like your story. It just goes to show that you can definitely get results if you know how to push the right buttons.
    08-17-12 10:09 AM
    I like your story. It just goes to show that you can definitely get results if you know how to push the right buttons.
    Thanks. Yes it's true, the moral of the story is never accept "no" as an answer when you know you're right. I'm kind of tired of having "May I speak to a supervisor?" on the tip of my tongue every time I call Rogers, as that should be the exception rather than the norm. It appears to be the rule most of the time. Very unfortunate.
    08-17-12 10:26 AM
    I think everyone in Toronto has a Rogers screwed me over story lol?
    I dumped them for everything, cable tv,internet, much happier and richer!
    Glad to hear you're fighting back, it"s a crime what they can get away with here!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Tim1131; 08-17-12 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Error
    08-17-12 10:53 AM
    All's well that ends well, as the saying goes.

They came through on their promises. So although I'm still soured by the runaround they gave me and by some of the things they did (particularly emailing my PIN around the office), I did get the phone I wanted and on the terms I wanted. It took all of 10 minutes once I got to the store and the manager was there waiting for me with the 3 phones I wanted to choose from.

I got the white 9810, and love it!

Don't take "no" for an answer when you really deserve "yes".
    08-18-12 10:55 AM
    Hey! adda boy! let them have it! i had a 9300, needed a repair, didnt get done, "liqiud intrustion", so i phoned got the 9790 and had the early upgrade fee wiped. less then 90 days, had to swap it because of a hardware problem of my phone echoing in my ear and basically dropping my calls, and i said to them i dont want the same device incase the problem presists or stops for a while and starts again. sure enough two days ago it happened, so donr know what i should do, if someone could PM me with any ideas that would be great.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    09-09-12 08:20 AM
    They tried to pull that with my brother. He bought an iPhone from them and it didn't work out of the box. When I took him back to the store and they wouldn't help, I asked to use the phone. I called customer retention while in front of the store employees. Long story short, he got a new iPhone and some other goodies.
    09-09-12 09:06 AM
    The Roger store close to my house has two young teenage girls working there. 100% of the time I go they are EXTREMELY rude. I picked up my phone ( from getting fixxed ) they just put it on the counter and went right back to texting. I asked "Uh, ok is that it ?" The one looks up and says "Uh psh, yeah. What else did you want ?"

My second beef is the poor rogers live app. Worst on demand video app in Canada

Third beef would be, when you leave $5 or so left over to the next bill they send you multiple texts and phone calls EVERYDAY till you pay it off. I have been with all of the "Big Three" and never experienced this..
    09-16-12 07:11 PM
    rogers does have horrible service ive been through almost the same thing

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-22-12 02:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD