Curious if the 9850/9860 were real duds, since it sort of appeared and disappeared very quickly (at least here in Canada), something like the 9380.

I didn't read any really great reviews of the phone so I figured it was not a huge success.
    08-13-12 12:14 PM
    I love mine. I've had from the 8130 to the 9850. Hated the storm versions. Mine is reliable and haven't had any issues.
    Lyls likes this.
    08-13-12 12:20 PM
    People I know who have them, they always have great things to say.
    Lyls likes this.
    08-13-12 12:36 PM
    Upgraded from an 8530 to this. It did have a short shelf life but I love it for what it does.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    08-13-12 12:48 PM
    No trouble with mine but I think the bb fans that are left are mostly keyboard fans.
    southlander likes this.
    08-13-12 12:51 PM
    I don't think the 9860 as a success, because they put much more effort on the 9900 and worked less on the torch, wich is a mistake. I love my 9860 is a great phone with a nice screen to work with, fast keyboard and the metal battery door gives a nice high end feel, not like the plastic one on the 9900 wich looks good but personally I don't like it
    08-13-12 02:30 PM
    I was looking to buy a 9860 just to mess around with.

Called Bell Store and they wanted $600.

I am still laughing . . . .

Would have paid $150 or so.
    08-13-12 03:03 PM
    The 9850 is a great device and with the latest update it is almost flawless!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-13-12 05:12 PM
    My only problem with this phone is that I'm still getting used to having a touch screen phone and I've had it since march
    08-13-12 07:49 PM
    I have a 9850 and love it. my only complaint is the portrait keyboard needs some work. I use the reduced keyboard and it is pretty good. I wish RIM had maybe licensed the swift keyboard for it.

but yeah, blackberry fans tend to really like physical keyboards.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-13-12 10:00 PM
    For the life of me I can't wrap my mind around the lack of push by RIM for this device. I only found out about the 9850/60 by looking in theses forums while deciding between the 9900 and 9810. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least when I saw it. As I began to read all of the threads about the device I immediately realized that the majority of early owners had huge problems with not only the software but the hardware as well. Non the less I was in love with the format factor. My only reservation being "can I live without a keyboard". Needless to say I bought a 9850 from Verizon and instantly I was hooked. I've had None of the problems I read about. I've had no issues at all as a matter of fact. Since the BB Pearl arrived I have been the proud owner of many phones, all bearing the BB logo. And let me say, This BB is the very best phone I have ever had. RIM hit grandslam slam with this device. I stand behind my 9850 100%. Along with my 64GB PlayBook I am perfectly content awaiting the arrival of BB 10.
    Lyls likes this.
    08-13-12 10:20 PM
    yeah it really is to bad that it wasnt given the attention it deserved! ive had my 9860 for almost a year now and the love affair is still in overdrive. i remember the first time i saw it on my carrier website, i was in the process of givin up my BB and going Android (yup, foolish i know) but one look at this sexy beast and i was sold!! longest three days of my life waiting to get my hands on it and i haven't let go of it since.
    08-13-12 11:51 PM
    yeah it really is to bad that it wasnt given the attention it deserved! ive had my 9860 for almost a year now and the love affair is still in overdrive. i remember the first time i saw it on my carrier website, i was in the process of givin up my BB and going Android (yup, foolish i know) but one look at this sexy beast and i was sold!! longest three days of my life waiting to get my hands on it and i haven't let go of it since.
    I understand your feelings. I thoroughly enjoy my 9850. The ironic part of my experience is so many people ask me about my phone when I pull it out. On one hand I like the idea of being in an exclusive club. But on the other hand I really wish more people know aout the device.
    08-14-12 12:04 AM
    I understand your feelings. I thoroughly enjoy my 9850. The ironic part of my experience is so many people ask me about my phone when I pull it out. On one hand I like the idea of being in an exclusive club. But on the other hand I really wish more people know aout the device.
    One frustrating thing I have found is there are apps for bb os7 that are released for the bold 99xx, and not for the torch 98xx.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    08-14-12 12:26 AM
    One frustrating thing I have found is there are apps for bb os7 that are released for the bold 99xx, and not for the torch 98xx.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    I have had the same issue with at least 2 apps. In a thread I was reading some time ago, an OP referred to this phone as "the ugly stepchild". That's how RIM and developers treat it.
    08-14-12 12:36 AM
    I have had the same issue with at least 2 apps. In a thread I was reading some time ago, an OP referred to this phone as "the ugly stepchild". That's how RIM and developers treat it.
    I came from a long line of BB phones including the Storm series. Was looking forward to the 9850 I have had since it's introduction. However the lack of "Love" and support including the LACK of any advertising or marketing over the life of this model phone is surprising. Not to mention the absence of theme and carrier support leaves me at times very frustrated trying to understand RIM's position here.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    08-14-12 08:31 AM
    I've had my 9860 for about 10 months now, and I have not seen a single solitary soul using one (first-hand). Like many, I take note of devices I see being used on the bus, at restaurants, etc., but I have never seen another 9860.

All that said, it's the best BB I've owned, IMO (8800->9000->9700->9860). Sure, at times I miss the keyboard but for the most part I don't. It's truly funny when someone hands me a non-touch BB and asks me to look at it, find some setting, or fix this or that. I keep tapping the icons or swiping up and down on the screen (yes, I know the 9900 is touch but no one I know has one of those either), and they ask me what I'm doing, LOL. Just using the trackpad and clicking... not sure I can go back to that, heh.

The 9860 got pulled from Rogers fairly fast, I guess it just wasn't performing. Good thing I'm not a market analyst or whatnot, I'd be convinced (last fall) that the 9860 was a killer device that would give other touch phones a run for the money.
    08-14-12 09:29 AM
    I got my Torch for 8 weeks. And I'm still not tired of the device. Normaly after a month or so, I have seen the most of the device. But the 9860 keeps me fascinated. Also I think I'm the only person in this country that has buy'd one of these (switzerland is a iPhone country). I hope with the next update, they increase the speed of the device even more. sometimes I can't unlock it for some seconds even if I push the lock button several time. even after a full wipe and clean install.enything else is peanuts. awesome device

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    08-14-12 12:49 PM
    I picked up a 9860 on Kijiji, typing isn't that painful on it. At least you have some options with RIM's Suretype technology.
    It's a pretty decent phone, certainly not worth the listed price but worth a try if you can find one sub $200 on kijiji.
    08-14-12 01:12 PM
    I am currently using a 9860. (coming from 9800 and the second last one is 9000)
    I think 9860 is an ok phone for people not expecting a physical keyboard.
    But since I have a 9800 and 9000 in the past .... the lack of a physical keyboard on the 9860 makes it very hard for me. I like the size of the screen on the 9860 (and that's the only reason I got it, instead of the 9900).

I bet they are disappearing bcoz the virtual keyboard is a failure and it is just not good enough for BB user who need to do a lot of typing. It is a probably a nice phone for people who mainly play games and surf the net ..... but that's just not good enough for people who needs to "get things done".

Just to unlock the phone is often a nightmare .....
    People on BES and have IT policy that require a long an complex password on the phone which locks automatically ...again based on the IT policy ..... will be very frustrated with the keyboard on the 9860.

With that said, I am looking forward for BB10... but knowing that RIM have decided to launch with a all-touch device makes me wonder how successful the BB10 launch will be.
    We need a practical phone ... not just marketing hype before launch on how cool the new virtual keyboard will be.
    Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of BB ... but I just wish the first BB10 phone will be one that I can use to "get things done". Maybe I am wrong, maybe the new virtual keyboard on BB10 will be so much better..... but please try typing while you are on the move ... or in a moving vehicle.
    The Bold keyboard (from 9000) is still the king.... and I would rather type in the crampy keyboard on the 9800 then the virtual keyboard on the 9860.
    Anyway, I hope I am wrong about the new virtual keyboard on BB10.... but chances are .....
    08-14-12 03:11 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of BB ... but I just wish the first BB10 phone will be one that I can use to "get things done". Maybe I am wrong, maybe the new virtual keyboard on BB10 will be so much better..... but please try typing while you are on the move ... or in a moving vehicle.
    The Bold keyboard (from 9000) is still the king.... and I would rather type in the crampy keyboard on the 9800 then the virtual keyboard on the 9860.
    Anyway, I hope I am wrong about the new virtual keyboard on BB10.... but chances are .....
    Considering they are releasing the hardware qwerty model at the same time, I don't really see what the issue is.
    08-14-12 04:13 PM
    "get things done"??? I'm curious what can't be done on this device that can on any other BB. I use the device to compose and answer emails, text, BBM, voice calls, browse the internet, and yes, take advantage of the multimedia capabilities of this device. And I switch in and out of all these applications with ease. Does doing so exclude me from this "peoples who need to get things done" group? ;-) My device is not BES connected, but I still password protect it. Personally, I have only ever used virtual keyboards on BB, and the actual keyboards I have messed with I personally find lacking. But that's my preference..I sure wouldn't marginalize others for theirs.. Frankly, I would never own a non full touchscreen BB, even a BB10 one.
    08-14-12 11:12 PM
    I just got it this past Saturday and boy oh boy... what a phone. In my opinion the 9900 does not even come close (my girl has one). It feels so solid and is so fast... and the screen... best of all BB's. I used a 9360 and 9810 and mate, I should have started with this. The non physical keyboard issue is not as big as most make it out to be trust me.. i get on with "getting things done" just fine.

Best BB I've ever had and I've had 4.

You just can't fault it.
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 08-15-12 at 10:40 AM.
    08-15-12 10:33 AM
    I think that the reason it wasn't advertised as much was because RIM was trying to forget the Storm debacles. I had the S1 and S2. Horrible. Did not like the Surepress screen. So I think in them advertising less, it just kind of went hush. Had they advertised and said, we messed up, try this, it would've been received well. But they are prideful. They still think S1 and S2 were good phones.
    08-15-12 01:38 PM
    I just got it this past Saturday and boy oh boy... what a phone. In my opinion the 9900 does not even come close (my girl has one). It feels so solid and is so fast... and the screen... best of all BB's. I used a 9360 and 9810 and mate, I should have started with this. The non physical keyboard issue is not as big as most make it out to be trust me.. i get on with "getting things done" just fine.

Best BB I've ever had and I've had 4.

You just can't fault it.
    I couldn't agree with you more,I was asking myself Why was I so dedicated to the curve line once I had a 9850 Torch in my hands...good bye Curves...
    08-27-12 12:22 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD