boot sequence: 1min 10 sec (bt/wifi/dev = off, flight mode)
    time same on power off or restart.

1GB [Free Memory], more than the half is occupied.
    changes between 100MB and 300MB leaving the PB
    untouched by just looking at it (that's strange...)

although flash and volatile memory are close to lightspeed
    PB's boot takes much much longer than on any other flash/network
    based system e.g. smart phones, Archos IT etc.
    I boot my more extensive XP SP3 on a low class FAT32 512MB
    compact flash card in less than 45 secs!

- why an extra memory on a flash with reserved sections already?
    - what files/kernel parts need to be shifted/cached/loaded?
    - programs to view or even unlock contents similar to process viewer/unlocker?

an answer or a website for one or the other question will be highly appreciated.

Damian
    Last edited by Anvil2k12; 08-04-12 at 10:13 AM. Reason: seconds out
    08-04-12 04:55 AM
    I've never seen any smartphone boot from completely off in under 15 seconds. My Android phone takes 3-4 minutes when turned off completely (it's an HTC and HTC's by default go into a hibernation mode instead of turning off completely). Every other phone I've ever experienced booting (iPhones and various Androids) take at least 1-2 minutes, usually longer.

My PB also takes much longer than 1 min 10 seconds to boot. Again, it's 3-4 minutes.
    08-04-12 07:56 AM
    Plus with BB when it's booting it is also running security test and checking the ROM.
    08-04-12 08:06 AM
    @SifJar
    your PB will take 1 min 10 sec if you follow my settings
    with basic apps.

to avoid loosing the topic, I took the seconds out. although my
    Samsung GTB7722i needs approx 20 sec to restart.
    I do not object your experience though.

@kbz1960
    that applies to any named system.
    08-04-12 10:11 AM
    that applies to any named system.
    There is no other company as dedicated to security as RIM. And no other platform as secure. It is not unreasonable to suggest this contributes to the PB taking longer to boot. There are probably more checks on the PB than on any other mobile platform.

Yes, the PB boot time is slow. But many devices have a slow boot time. I don't think it is comparatively that much longer.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-04-12 10:39 AM
    Plus with BB when it's booting it is also running security test and checking the ROM.
    safety first !

and for the booting time ; i dont really care.. when i boot up my PB , i always check twitter / whatsapp / email on my BB so i dont waste my time waiting

and my friends say: ''Damn that booting screen is beautiful ! *almost with tears in their eyes* ''
    08-04-12 11:01 AM
    @SifJar
    your PB will take 1 min 10 sec if you follow my settings
    with basic apps.
    I believe you're booting up with this on the charger. When you have it on the charger, it's already partially booted up, so the time from pressing the power button till when you first see the home screen is much shorter.

Try unplugging from the charger. Make sure it's fully off. Press the power button as you start your timer, and wait until you see the home screen, or the login dialog (if you have a password set). Stop the timer. It will be longer than 2 minutes for sure...
    08-04-12 11:26 AM
    WP7 boots in 15 seconds from completely off by the way.

Don't think RIM have optimised boot process yet.
    SifJar likes this.
    08-04-12 11:00 PM
    WP7 boots in 15 seconds from completely off by the way.

Don't think RIM have optimised boot process yet.
    I have been spoiled by my Focus lol it boots in about 10 to 15 seconds and my pc is about 30 to 40. The PlayBook seems like it takes forever.
    08-04-12 11:59 PM
    thanx for your efforts!

@peter9477
    "believe" it or not -
    both the 64gb device on fully charged battery only.

There is no other company as dedicated to security as RIM. And no other platform as secure.
    I am very disappointed especially you dumping such a simple
    quote out of RIM's (similar in competitors) flyer. cfp/dingleberry
    disproved it and other will in the future. at the end of the day
    its all about software and not a steely safe. and that exactly was
    the aim of my question!

it seems you are right "no one here has a clue what they're talking about" post #78
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...39/index6.html

because my key questions were deviated into an off-topic
    discussion about speed the whole thread is now displaced
    in this section.

regards
    Damian
    08-05-12 02:40 AM
    I am very disappointed especially you dumping such a simple
    quote out of RIM's (similar in competitors) flyer. cfp/dingleberry
    disproved it and other will in the future. at the end of the day
    its all about software and not a steely safe. and that exactly was
    the aim of my question!
    You know cfp is an internal RIM tool right? That really isn't a security breach in any way, as far as I can understand what it does. (If there's a password on your PB, all cfp will let you do to get past that is wipe the device, removing whatever sensitive info was being protected by the password anyway).

As for dingleberry, as far as I understand, it always used pretty much the same exploit just tweaked a bit. No further exploits have been found, and RIM have made a few changes to the PB OS to mean that even if exploits where found now, they probably wouldn't be any use because pretty much nothing runs as root any more.

So the security IS better than other platforms. Which would mean that the PB could have more checks etc. during boot.

Of course, that does not explain why the boot time is so long. It would seem WP7 is much more optimized (according to what xsacha said). And the phone you mentioned before as well is clearly much more optimized (in the boot process). Maybe RIM could optimize the PB's boot process more. I hope so. Maybe if it didn't take so long to turn on, I'd not have to leave it switched on overnight every night.
    08-05-12 06:53 AM
    @peter9477
    "believe" it or not -
    both the 64gb device on fully charged battery only.
    I guess I don't believe it then. Not if you're timing the same was as everyone else. It's an unmodified OS, one of the standard released versions? And from fully off, you're pressing the power button (with a red LED showing briefly a few seconds later) and immediately starting the timer? And stopping the timer only when the home page shows? And that's like 1:10 or whatever you said?

I'd love to see a video of that... I can't imagine how one unit would do that when nobody else's does, unless it's screwed up or modified in some fashion.
    08-05-12 08:59 AM
    I have to agree with Peter, I don't believe you......do you really own "several" Playbooks as stated in your members info? One minute and 10 seconds (or whatever) is unbelievable.
    08-05-12 09:34 AM
    ...Which would mean that the PB could have more checks etc. during boot.
    cheers for your efforts,
    although still stuck on boot performance...

basically its a hardware missing system - no matter what
    encryption and key depth is used it takes nano secs.
    shadow copies seconds, checking periphery same and give it
    some more for an unneeded screen warm up and a wee.
    does never add up to whatever and who-is-right minutes.
    unless RIM's algorithm's are down to MASM levels.

whilst rooting you probably noticed even cfp can catch in
    at certain stages only but is able to stall the whole
    boot sequence for its bit then. that knowledge I am after...

regards
    Damian
    08-05-12 09:49 AM
    I guess I don't believe it then. Not if you're timing the same was as everyone else. It's an unmodified OS, one of the standard released versions? ...
    I'd love to see a video of that... I can't imagine how one unit would do that when nobody else's does, unless it's screwed up or modified in some fashion.
    So Anvil2k12 sent me a link to a YouTube video where he demonstrated his rapid boot time. It is indeed fast: 1:17 in the video, give or take a second.

I'll let him post the link, if he wishes, in case for some reason he didn't want that one shared.

I've done a handful of comparisons with a 16GB and a 32GB unit here, both running 2.0.1.668, but don't get anywhere near that time, of course.

Looking at the various stages, they're actually more or less identical at the beginning: a few seconds after pressing button, the red LED lights for a few seconds. A short time later, the BlackBerry logo shows up. A while after that, the "spotlight" animation begins cycling. I thought at first that his spotlights were moving a bit faster than mine, but I'm going to discount that for now as a psychological effect, not real.

Where our results diverge is during the spotlights... his go through various stages of blue lights, whereupon just as it is getting near green, the screen clears and his Password/Login dialog shows up.

On mine, and of course basically all other units that most of us have seen, the spotlights continue for quite a while, cycling through green, then orange and ending up in a deep purple as it completes. It's these latter stages that take the extra two minutes (roughly) that the rest of us see.

I can't see what version he's running, and he hasn't posted a response to my inquiry about that (see above), but I assume he'll post it here for us, so others can try to reproduce.

My belief at this point is that either his unit is defective in some bizarre fashion, or it's been modified (cfp/rooting?) and this would explain the difference. If he says he hasn't modified it, I believe that too, but I've seen at least 20 different PlayBooks booting up, hundreds of times, across all versions since launch, and what I see in that video is unprecedented in my experience.

Would be quite interesting for us to learn how this came to be...
    08-08-12 12:59 PM
    Could also be that he has very few apps installed.
    I'm not certain for the PlayBook, but on BB phones your boot time increases dramatically when you install more apps.
    08-11-12 02:26 PM
    Not to be a d1ck but can anyone really complain about 5 minutes of your life your disconnected from a device? idk.. Daydream or something its great fun..

This comment is just a thought.. not aimed at the op or anyone's comment.. And Yes OP I realize your just looking for answers to questions and not complaining really i Just think it's funny how people in general hate to wait such a insignificant amount of time for such things bahah
    Last edited by Alt-F4; 08-11-12 at 02:49 PM.
    08-11-12 02:45 PM
    That makes no sense... To me I mean what does one gain from dreaming whereas if you constantly think you build your brain with ideas... Maybe it's just me or our generation that doesn't find that interesting :P
    08-14-12 06:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD