We have an old (8+ years) belkin wireless g router at home which has been great for all our devices, including the pb, hardly ever drops connections. My father has a brand new d-link which he got for free with a recent computer purchase that he is going to give me. Obviously this new router supports wireless n (among whatever else), just wondering if I will notice a difference on my pb in regards to browser performance. I pretty much use my pb to couch surf.
    07-29-12 11:20 AM
    We used to have a Linksys WRT54g2. When we upgraded it to an Apple Airport Extreme N router, our effective Wifi connection has improved by a good 10-15 feet. Our apartment has a lot of wireless interference.
    Last edited by Chemster; 07-29-12 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Grammer edit
    07-29-12 11:55 AM
    How fast is your internet connection at home? If your connection is anything less than blazing, I doubt it would make a difference. A router can't speed up the internet connection faster than the speed provided by your ISP.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Hgouck likes this.
    07-29-12 02:13 PM
    Yes, not only in speed, but in increased range, you can operate from a longer distance away from the router.
    07-29-12 02:39 PM
    We have an old (8+ years) belkin wireless g router at home which has been great for all our devices, including the pb, hardly ever drops connections. My father has a brand new d-link which he got for free with a recent computer purchase that he is going to give me. Obviously this new router supports wireless n (among whatever else), just wondering if I will notice a difference on my pb in regards to browser performance. I pretty much use my pb to couch surf.
    The Linksys E series routers are on sale right now on Cisco's website. I got the E3200 and I noticed a huge difference in range and speed. Definitely worth the price it's at right now and so I suggest you upgrade to one of these before they're all gone, I'm sure you'll love the increased speed and range

Linksys Outlet Refurbished
    07-29-12 03:35 PM
    The new router will give you greater distance and possible more stable connection. N is faster but the distance is less. G & B will be stronger by x2 at greater distance. By changing the default channel you will get better performance out of any router.
    07-29-12 05:34 PM
    Just thought I would follow up with my own post to say the difference is significant. The distance is better and the speed is noticeably faster, especially on sites that I have found to be slow loading in the past (eg. Dpreview, cnet/crave, and this forum)
    07-29-12 07:17 PM
    If the upraded router is free, check it out and see if it works better for you. If it doesn't go back to the old one. Its a win/win for you!!
    07-30-12 10:01 AM
    MetaGeek inSSIDer can help you select open channels for your WLAN if you live somewhere that has a crowded spectrum.

With respect to G vs. N, keep in mind that G is more common and therefore more crowded. However, it covers a larger distance than N. N is noticably faster than G.
    07-30-12 02:58 PM
    It might make a difference if the PlayBook constantly starts dropping the N signal. Let us know after a few days if it just stops working and you have to unpplug your router every day or switch back to just G depending on what kind of d-link it is lol.
    07-30-12 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD