Hi, new guy here needing opinions. I did see there were a couple of discussions about this but the last was 6 months ago.

I'm getting a new workphone and I have the option of the 9360, the 9900, the 9810 or the 9860. I'm pretty much down to the 9810 or 9860. From what I've read and the reviews I've seen, the main difference is the slideout keyboard vs a larger screen. I won't be doing a ton of typing, but a full keyboard is nice. But so is a bigger screen. If you guys had to get one, which would it be?
    07-27-12 12:00 PM
    My guess is you'll probably find most people on here will lean more towards the 9810 because of the keyboard. I would recommend you go an try both of them out and see what you think. I like the 9860 myself mainly because it feels like a nice solid device. I'd give them both a try, see what you think, and make your decision based on that. Even if you pick one that you end up hating, most of the time you've got 14-30 days to test it out, and swap it out for a different model if you do not like it.
    07-27-12 12:10 PM
    If you aren't going to be dialing out heavy emails and messages get the 9860 its a solid device. If you aren't sure get the 9810 the best of both worlds.
    07-27-12 12:17 PM
    I've never seen the 9860 so I have to ask is the screen really that much bigger?
    07-27-12 12:45 PM
    I would go for the 9810. I find the on screen keyboard on the 9860 to be very small in portrait mode, and then on landscape mode you can't see much of what your typing!

I think the 9810 is the best of both worlds.
    07-27-12 12:48 PM
    I wouls swing by a carrier store such as ATT and take try them both out to see which works best for you. The physical keys on the 9810 are nice, but prefer the style of the 9860, and the added sceeen realestate.
    07-27-12 01:50 PM
    I've never seen the 9860 so I have to ask is the screen really that much bigger?
    Yes it is but when the Keyboard is up its the same size as the 9900.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-27-12 01:51 PM
    i had the 9810, and its a great phone. i didn't like how the paint would chip even in a case.
    if your not picky about the keyboard, then you will love the screen on the 9860. the 9860 is my current phone, and i love the feel of it in my hand. also it fits better in my pocket.

since most phone now-a-days don't have physical keyboard and the next generation of blackberry will be more driven to virtual keyboards, i decided to give the full touchscreen a try. if blackberry fails with bb10, then at lease i have some experience on a touchscreen phone and wouldn't complain about not having a physical keyboard
    07-27-12 01:55 PM
    I can't tell you what to get so I will say try both and see what works for you.

I will also add when it was me making the decision, I chose the 9860 because it yes had a bigger screen but my main reason was the 9810 and the 9800 before it were just so damned thick! I hated the idea of having a brick in my pocket. The 9860 for me, was right sized and in fact still is now.
    up488 likes this.
    07-27-12 01:56 PM
    I wouls swing by a carrier store such as ATT and take try them both out to see which works best for you. The physical keys on the 9810 are nice, but prefer the style of the 9860, and the added sceeen realestate.
    Don't think you will see the 9860 at the AT&T store, This BB was an online only phone & most authorized AT&T do not carry it.
    07-27-12 02:17 PM
    My guess is you'll probably find most people on here will lean more towards the 9810 because of the keyboard. I would recommend you go an try both of them out and see what you think. I like the 9860 myself mainly because it feels like a nice solid device. I'd give them both a try, see what you think, and make your decision based on that. Even if you pick one that you end up hating, most of the time you've got 14-30 days to test it out, and swap it out for a different model if you do not like it.
    Unfortunately, the phone will be purchased through a corporate system and there is no trial period. I'll be stuck with whichever one I pick.

Thanks for the advice on checking them out in-store, but the one close to me doesn't have both of them. If I happen to be near a store that has both, I'll check them out.
    07-27-12 02:20 PM
    The 9860 has a beautiful screen and fits very comfortably in your hand.

If I were a fan of touchscreen only phones I would say it's a no brainer. However, I am horribly inept at touchscreens, so because of that I prefer my 9810.

I must say though, if only I could learn to type on the 9860 I would say get the 9860. It is a great device. If you can manage a touchscreen, I would say get the 9860. The screen is just gorgeous. It's just a touch bigger in the hand than the iPhone 4/4S.
    ajst222 and El Cid like this.
    07-27-12 02:40 PM
    I would probably go with the 9810. It still has a decent sized screen. But then again I really do like the looks of the 9850/9860...Some people just get frustrated on a full touchscreen keyboard but if you don't think you would, then I would say go for the 9860
    07-27-12 03:06 PM
    I can't tell you what to get so I will say try both and see what works for you.

I will also add when it was me making the decision, I chose the 9860 because it yes had a bigger screen but my main reason was the 9810 and the 9800 before it were just so damned thick! I hated the idea of having a brick in my pocket. The 9860 for me, was right sized and in fact still is now.
    I have to agree. While the 9810 seems like a great phone (i've only played with one), I didn't like the feel or thickness of it and it just didn't feel as solid as the 9860 which I have and love! Just my 2 cents!
    07-27-12 03:10 PM
    The 9860 has a beautiful screen and fits very comfortably in your hand.

If I were a fan of touchscreen only phones I would say it's a no brainer. However, I am horribly inept at touchscreens, so because of that I prefer my 9810.

I must say though, if only I could learn to type on the 9860 I would say get the 9860. It is a great device. If you can manage a touchscreen, I would say get the 9860. The screen is just gorgeous. It's just a touch bigger in the hand than the iPhone 4/4S.
    took me a few days to get a handle on the touchscreen but now i just fly on that thing! the funny part is i now find it difficult to type with a keyboard! go figure!
    07-27-12 03:16 PM
    took me a few days to get a handle on the touchscreen but now i just fly on that thing! the funny part is i now find it difficult to type with a keyboard! go figure!
    LOL, its surprisingly true. I was helping my friend change the settings on her 9700 yesterday. Pretty much my exact same phone from a couple of months ago and I was brutal! I hadn't realized till that moment.
    07-27-12 10:04 PM
    I've owned the 9810 and felt it was a solid phone. No real complaints or issues. As others have mentioned, the thickness of the phone was surprising, but it wasn't a deal breaker. After using a touchscreen only phone (iPhone) I miss a keyboard, but I've gotten used to using it.

If I was pressed, I would get the 9810. I enjoyed having the option of using a keyboard or touchscreen. Although I'm not to find of slider type phones.
    El Cid likes this.
    07-28-12 05:25 AM
    The 9860 is .5" larger diagonally so it was easy for me to sacrifice that additional screen for the physical keyboard. The best place I found to compare was my local radio shack. They had just about all of the newer Berries between all the carriers.
    07-28-12 10:50 AM
    Are you a case fan? I have had a hard time finding a case that I liked for my 9810.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-28-12 10:51 AM
    Are you a case fan? I have had a hard time finding a case that I liked for my 9810.
    I use the leather pocket pouch for the Storm 9530. I will not own a shirt without a left side chest pocket though. LoL

As it is an old phone the cases are now cheap.

Toodeurep likes this.
    07-28-12 11:25 AM
    +1 on the shirt pocket. Just remember the phone is in there so it doesn't fall into the toilet
    bungaboy and El Cid like this.
    07-28-12 11:35 AM
    i would go with the 9810 just cause you said "work phone"

bes enforced passwords on the 9860 is the PITA

i love my 9860 though for work im rocking a 9780
    07-28-12 12:06 PM
    9810: you can't use the keyboard and use landscape at the same time. You will also discover using keypad shortcuts is rendered near useless since you obviously can't use them when the phone is closed and when using landscape they are turned to the side. Also, with OS7 you will discover the phone is not 100% responsive using the touch screen only and the only cure is to use a physical key. Its also a heavy phone and its tough to hold onto, especially when constantly opening and closing the slider. Get a case because your gonna drop it once in a while. The rubberized 9800 battery cover might be a good idea too.

9860: Great screen, nice if using a touch screen 100% of the time. Easy to hold onto, slim, and light weight. Lack of a keypad will have a downside though. There are many things that will take longer without the ability to use a physical keypad.

9900: Screen is always in the landscape position, the keys and track pad are always in the proper place for instant access and I think you will discover everything will be quicker using the 9900 because of the ergonomic layout. Having the track pad in the middle of the phone makes for perfect balance and no tipping like the other two. The keypad is amazing and the difference between the 9900 keypad and the 9810 keypad is not marginal. Don't get me wrong, the 9810 keypad is light years beyond your average smartphone but the 9900 is the cream of the crop. The 9810 keypad is cramped if you have large fingers.

Personally I would avoid the 9810 because it tries to be all things to all people and ends up being great at nothing. Lesser keypad than the 9900, and lesser screen than the 9860. Not to mention its more bulky and heavy than the other two because its based on the older model.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 07-28-12 at 12:52 PM.
    07-28-12 12:48 PM
    Get the 9860. You're gonna have to get used to a on screen keyboard sometime, may as well make it sooner than later. It's also better constructed, fewer moving parts, fewer things to break.
    07-28-12 12:59 PM
    Get the 9860. You're gonna have to get used to a on screen keyboard sometime, may as well make it sooner than later. It's also better constructed, fewer moving parts, fewer things to break.
    The physical keyboards will exist right up to the time the keyboard itself vanishes. One will never "have" to use an on-screen keyboard.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-28-12 01:34 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD