NY Post going away and Google says it won't be supporting BB either (at least the Gmail app - for now)...

July 25 (Bloomberg) -- The New York Times dropped its downloadable application for BlackBerry users, dealing a setback to Research In Motion Ltd. as it races to introduce a new version of the mobile device early next year.

BlackBerry users can still access the newspaper through the mobile website, which will become the focus of its electronic- publishing efforts, New York Times Co. said in a message on its site. Users of Apple Inc.�s iPhone and devices built on Google Inc.�s Android software can still get their New York Times news through dedicated apps.

RIM is fighting to stay relevant to U.S. consumers after sales in the country fell 47 percent last year. The company�s share of the U.S. smartphone market shrank to 12 percent in the first quarter, from 16 percent in the previous three months, according to research firm ComScore Inc. Google�s Android accounted for 51 percent, while Apple had 31 percent.

Google said in November it would stop supporting its Gmail application for BlackBerry devices.

RIM dropped 0.4 percent to $6.90 at 10:38 a.m. in New York. The stock is trading about 95 percent below its 2008 closing high of $147.55.

To contact the reporter on this story: Hugo Miller in Toronto at
    [email protected]
    To contact the editor responsible for this story: Nick Turner at
    [email protected]
    ===
    Sent from Bloomberg for Blackberry. Download it from the Blackberry App World!
    07-25-12 10:50 AM
    Experience will be better on the mobile full version HTML5 website.
    07-25-12 10:52 AM
    Who cares. The New York Times dropped its downloadable application for BlackBerry ?? What app ? Oh you mean the link to their website. Oh no ... What will we all do? BlackBerry users can still access the newspaper through the mobile website. Wow you mean this is non-news used to bash RIM on a day APPL is crashing $30 a share? Glad I shorted 50 shares @$609.25 a few days ago.
    07-25-12 10:57 AM
    Experience will be better on the mobile full version HTML5 website.
    this is a disaster!!! oh no wait i live in the uk....so i dont care
    07-25-12 10:57 AM
    Hahaha...the funny thing is that I dropped the NY Times app from my BB before they could drop me....LOL
    07-25-12 11:13 AM
    While all this "screw you NYT" talk is amusing, im more interested in knowing whether they will create a bb10 app at some point?

I kinda see the logic behind dropping an app for a platform that's EoL in north america, but assuming Rim doesn't go belly up in the next 2 years, BB10 will most definitely have a not insignificant portion of the market.
    drjay868, jegs2 and Nickerz like this.
    07-25-12 11:19 AM
    They never even got the app working on OS7. What HTML5 site are you talking about?? Is that different than the mobile site?

The Android converted app works pretty well on my PlayBook. I actually prefer the site on the phone more. All I need is the text anyways. I guess it would be nice to be able to download articles for offline reading, but the PlayBook can do that with the sideloaded app.

For those of you who think the NYTimes sucks, get a life. If you don't like it fine. But many people really like their paper. No matter which way you look at this, it isn't good news.
    07-25-12 11:20 AM
    The fact that they still have a WP7 app is kind of offensive to us BB users.
    07-25-12 11:22 AM
    We should consider ourselves lucky we don't have to read that pablum.
    I consider myself lucky we had an OP that posted the article instead of having to open another page/tab and deal with 100 more adds. Bad enough I have to deal with it here on CB.

Hahaha...the funny thing is that I dropped the NY Times app from my BB before they could drop me....LOL
    Ditto. I didn't really see an advantage to the app vs website anyways.
    07-25-12 11:22 AM
    Who cares. The New York Times dropped its downloadable application for BlackBerry ?? What app ? Oh you mean the link to their website.
    Actually, it is a stand-alone app, not a link to the website. The OS7 version never worked very well, though and I used the mobile site (which is adequate) on my 9810 until I was able to sideload the Android phone app on my PB (nobody has gotten around to converting the actual Android tablet app for the PB for some reason). Unfortunately, the last update on the PB made the app unusable, so I had to further sideload the original version of Runtime from 2.0 to keep using the Times app. I actually prefer it slightly to the Times app on the iPad.

In any event, for you ferners and anti-Times haters/crackpots, this is the newspaper of record in the U.S. That it of all newspapers here is no longer supporting a BB app is illustrative of how far RIM has fallen. I wouldn't expect them to come out with a BB10 app.
    Nickerz likes this.
    07-25-12 11:42 AM
    Before NYT try to be funny and send a low blow they need to learn how to make an app that actually works not a downloable weblink.
    07-25-12 11:44 AM
    Actually, it is a stand-alone app, not a link to the website. The OS7 version never worked very well, though and I used the mobile site (which is adequate) on my 9810 until I was able to sideload the Android phone app on my PB (nobody has gotten around to converting the actual Android tablet app for the PB for some reason). Unfortunately, the last update on the PB made the app unusable, so I had to further sideload the original version of Runtime from 2.0 to keep using the Times app. I actually prefer it slightly to the Times app on the iPad.

In any event, for you ferners and anti-Times haters/crackpots, this is the newspaper of record in the U.S. That it of all newspapers here is no longer supporting a BB app is illustrative of how far RIM has fallen. I wouldn't expect them to come out with a BB10 app.
    No one hates the NYT, but they are a bunch of nuts sitting behind a desk copying and pasting dooms day articles about a company who doesn't give a flying f*ck about they papers or apps. I personally prefer USA today. Not to mention the same person who writes these articles uses a iphone Hmm.

I'm pretty sure the people outside north America prefer their usual over nyt
    morganplus8 likes this.
    07-25-12 11:50 AM
    What will we do now? i mean bbnews ap mobile news 360 etc etc etc surely cannot sustain us
    drjay868 and bungaboy like this.
    07-25-12 11:55 AM
    Before NYT try to be funny and send a low blow they need to learn how to make an app that actually works not a downloable weblink.
    Again, there was an actual app -- the earlier version supported OS 5.0 and below, and the one that came out last November supported OS 7. It had a few problems, namely, you had to use the touchscreen to select articles because there was no cursor when scrolling, the change font size option didn't work, and pictures in articles showed up with a red x.

If they made an Android or iOS app that didn't work, I'm sure they'd hear about it and would address it. Both of those apps work fine. I complained about the BB app, but a lot of good it did me. I think it's obvious that the marginalization of BB as a smartphone player in the U.S. doesn't justify the devotion of resources to fixing or even developing a BB app. And the mobile website does work just fine.
    07-25-12 11:58 AM
    No one hates the NYT, but they are a bunch of nuts sitting behind a desk copying and pasting dooms day articles about a company who doesn't give a flying f*ck about they papers or apps. I personally prefer USA today. Not to mention the same person who writes these articles uses a iphone Hmm.

I'm pretty sure the people outside north America prefer their usual over nyt
    Alrighty then!
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-25-12 12:00 PM
    It is interesting to see a company that has small market share in the US continue to be in the press. Someone does care and is spending time and money to have the press keep up the words on Blackberry. Other companies that lose market share are quickly forgotten.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-25-12 12:20 PM
    Abstracts from the Reuters (updated) News :
    But Murphy said the company has not ruled out developing an app for devices that will run on RIM's new operating system, BlackBerry 10, due out early next year.
    "That decision has not been made, and it's entirely possible that we might," she said.
    BlackBerry users can still read the paper over their phones via the New York Times website.
    "Currently, our mobile website offers a more complete New York Times experience than the NYTimes app native to your device," said a notice to customers on the New York Times website.
    Once again, big titles ... smoke.
    morganplus8, bungaboy and drjay868 like this.
    07-25-12 12:25 PM
    The level of moronity has only gotten worse on CB as more and more users flee. How many apps can BB afford to lose? At some point many of these apps are important to many segments of the population. Losing the NBA, NHL, BBC, NPR etc.. apps has not just put off allot of people but helped RIM lose allot of people. When my firm switched to a MDM they allowed users to switch to IOS. At this time almost 8 in 10 hae switched. But back at the begining of the MLB season, when it seemed like we may not get an MLB app this year, I was at CLE where most of the older male associates and partners who were holding on to their BBs were swearing they would drop them if opening day came and there was no MLB app. The constant RIM chearleading is only secondarily more annoying than the attacking of others who will not drink the blackberry punch.

And yep - the writer uses an I-phone. So does CB Kevin. In fact most of the publishing world uses I-phones and publishes to the I-pad. Conde Nast led the way more than a year ago and all other publishing houses quickly followed suit. Newspapers, magazines, news shows, cable series, etc.. they virtually all have apps for IOS and Android. Only a few still write for BB. Losing one more - - it is news, and its not good, its not the fault of the writer, its not the fault of the Times, or the rest of the media, or analysts, or pundits or even me. This is the house RIMM made, so deal with it and move on until BB10 is released.
    07-25-12 12:32 PM
    The level of moronity has only gotten worse on CB as more and more users flee. How many apps can BB afford to lose? At some point many of these apps are important to many segments of the population. Losing the NBA, NHL, BBC, NPR etc.. apps has not just put off allot of people but helped RIM lose allot of people. When my firm switched to a MDM they allowed users to switch to IOS. At this time almost 8 in 10 hae switched. But back at the begining of the MLB season, when it seemed like we may not get an MLB app this year, I was at CLE where most of the older male associates and partners who were holding on to their BBs were swearing they would drop them if opening day came and there was no MLB app. The constant RIM chearleading is only secondarily more annoying than the attacking of others who will not drink the blackberry punch.

And yep - the writer uses an I-phone. So does CB Kevin. In fact most of the publishing world uses I-phones and publishes to the I-pad. Conde Nast led the way more than a year ago and all other publishing houses quickly followed suit. Newspapers, magazines, news shows, cable series, etc.. they virtually all have apps for IOS and Android. Only a few still write for BB. Losing one more - - it is news, and its not good, its not the fault of the writer, its not the fault of the Times, or the rest of the media, or analysts, or pundits or even me. This is the house RIMM made, so deal with it and move on until BB10 is released.
    I agree. I have a 9800 and my NYT app works fine, but I had no idea that the NYT was dropping BB apps for its site. I've noticed even my own hometown TV station, that had a BB app for its site, now only has iPhone and Android apps. The old one works on my 9800, bu I can't load the new app for the improved site. Yes, more apps are marginalizing BB. BB10 better be a "monster" that eats Apple and Android's lunch. My contract is up in Feb., and I'm looking at SG III just in case.
    1magine likes this.
    07-25-12 12:49 PM

The level of moronity is always surpassed by people like you that come on to a fan site like this (A place for BlackBerry users and abusers) and insult us.

The point you are not getting is the fact that other platforms like Windows Mobile certainly don't make headlines when they lose an app on an OS that is reaching its EOL. Seriously bud, there will come a tipping point where most apps will stop being supported on OS7. Everyone knows it. No one is blind to that. Get over yourself.
    07-25-12 12:53 PM
    The level of moronity has only gotten worse on CB as more and more users flee.
    thank you; but you're always a moron to someone (is that :"there is always someone's cun7" ?)
    And yep - the writer uses an I-phone. So does CB Kevin. [...] Newspapers, magazines, news shows, cable series, etc.. they virtually all have apps for IOS and Android. Only a few still write for BB. Losing one more - - it is news, and its not good, its not the fault of the writer, its not the fault of the Times, or the rest of the media, or analysts, or pundits or even me. This is the house RIMM made, so deal with it and move on until BB10 is released.
    Well, not anyone share author's view ...
    Wall Street Journal (7/24/2012) : Wanting an Iphone, Needing a Blackberry
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-25-12 at 01:18 PM.
    07-25-12 12:54 PM
    Well, reading recent comments, like from Steve 911 above, I'm not quite sure that people who use other phones purposely seem out CB to give us a "hard time!" What's lost is RIM got itself into this and suddenly, as only RIM interprets the word "suddenly," discovered that, duh, other phones were taking over the market! So, RIM can't fault its customers for going elsewhere. Regardless of why, delaying BB10 was a big deal to people other than CB. No one, ouside these forums, is talking about BB 10. No one. Apple passes gas and reporters are describing it in detail. That's very telling. The only time ouside media talks about RIM is not BB 10, but the last foul play RIM did. There are lots of those foul plays. My son just started working for a company that gave him a new BB curve. He has an iPhone as well. He likes them both. When I told him of BB's troubles, he said, "yeah, but dad, it's just a phone." Maybe we should think of that. It's only a phone, folks.
    drjay868 and chi-town311 like this.
    07-25-12 01:22 PM
    [...] When I told him of BB's troubles, he said, "yeah, but dad, it's just a phone."
    He's a cute and wise "son". Congrats.
    07-25-12 01:44 PM
    He's a cute and wise "son". Congrats.
    Ha! Thanks! I'm sure his Mrs.thinks he's cute too, but he's 8 years old to me!
    07-25-12 01:58 PM
    It's silly when people dodge the issue of RIM's widening application deficit by launching ad-hominem attacks or strenuously urging how much they don't care. The loss of any developer support (much less a major news outlet such as the NYTimes) is not a positive development and trying to deflect attention from the salient issues doesn't do RIM or the Crackberry community any good.

Hopefully, developers' cessation of development for RIM is limited to OS7 and doesn't have any implications for BB10. I doubt that's the case though but we shall see.
    07-25-12 02:08 PM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD