Anyone out there downloaded 4.5 from another carrier (or BB) that can recommend to me which version to get? Man I want this but don't wanna pick the one that is not compatible with VZW or is still buggy. I also wonder does doing it this way disable the GPS disabler VZW put in place? Please PM, BB msgr, or email me at [email protected]

Thanx in advance,
    Cadi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 07:17 PM
    Any of the 4.5s will work as long as it's for your model phone (8330 or w/e) as long as you delete the vendor.xml file. As for the GPS I don't think that'll help your problems but IDK cause I have US Cellular. I'm running 4.5.0.77 on my 8330 and I don't have any bugs that I notice soooo you should be ok.

09-18-08 11:44 PM
    All software have bugs, period. I would not recommend that any newbie install an unofficial OS onto their device. Wait for VZW to release their official version or take time to learn your BB. You take certain risks when doing it on your own. There is no workaround for GPS on Verizon.
    09-19-08 12:02 AM
    I'm running .77 on my verizon 8330 w/o any problems as of yet *knocks on wood* but no still no GPS besides navigator.

09-19-08 12:05 AM
    All software have bugs, period. I would not recommend that any newbie install an unofficial OS onto their device. Wait for VZW to release their official version or take time to learn your BB. You take certain risks when doing it on your own. There is no workaround for GPS on Verizon.
    Thanx for your reply and concern. I am a newbie (only about 6 months young in my addiction) and definitely do not want to OD my crackberry due to a lack of patience. However, I read the up/downgrade procedure 101 post and thought it seemed a relatively simple procedure. In your opinion what else do I need to become a more proficient/able junkie so that I might perform this transition safely?

09-19-08 05:42 AM
    I wonder with the coming BB Storm that VZW will have O/S 4.5 ready for all of us. With the hype of this new addiction coming one would think HTML email would be one item that VZW would want to show off with the Storm.

VZW confirmed that BIS is 2.5 so all we need is that offical O/S to get HTML mail and other goodies.

Speaking of other goodies what all does O/S 4.5 bring to the table other than HTML email?
    09-19-08 08:21 AM
    Thanx for your reply and concern. I am a newbie (only about 6 months young in my addiction) and definitely do not want to OD my crackberry due to a lack of patience. However, I read the up/downgrade procedure 101 post and thought it seemed a relatively simple procedure. In your opinion what else do I need to become a more proficient/able junkie so that I might perform this transition safely?

PATIENCE! I did the upgrade on Monday and that went fairly well but took quite a while looking like it stalled at one step and so I went to bed leaving it alone. So make sure you have time.

Now, when the device started constantly locking up (8830, here) each time it went into standby (holster or just sitting idle) and I could not fix it I decided to downgrade.

That took even more patience as I could not get Desktop Manager to acknowledge the OLDER OS for installation. I re-ran the EXE about 5 times, I removed a folder and I removed the vendor file. Still no go. Finally, it worked but then all of my data was missing but I did have a current backup that I had made. The auto-backup and restore, restored blank Contacts, Calendar and Memos???? I do no know why.

Question asked by another poster - it provides a better browser (you can do youtube and probably other streaming sites), it provides a voice recorder, some say better memory management and it provides access to Documents-to-go. I'm sure there are other tweaks. Even without docs-to-go, the OS seemed to take more of the limited memory the device has.
    09-19-08 08:40 AM
    I run different carrier's OS's all the time, just delete the Vendor XML file and your good. Like Sunksat said though, if you are a newbie to BlackBerry, it is best to wait and get familiar with your device...
    09-19-08 08:47 AM
    I am on .77 with VZW. No real noticable problems. Noticable being the key word. Its hard to compare the 2 without identical phones with the same apps running the different OS's side by side.

The 8830 seems to have a little more problems than the 8330.
    09-19-08 09:47 AM

I completely agree with sunkast's concern. But typically someone with 3 posts has had their device 3 hours or 3 days, not 6 months. So you are probably not a newbie in terms of experience, which is the only thing that counts. If you haven't done it, the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig is an excellent OS tutorial. It also takes you through some of the steps you have to do to upgrade an OS. It's well worth doing.

I never recommend anyone install a beta OS. It's beta because it's not ready for release. So you take your chances, but you'll probably be able to follow the procedures without too much trouble.
    09-19-08 09:54 AM
    I installed 4.5.0.56 version on my 8330 and it runs great. I haven't had any problems yet. The Docs2Go was a great upgrade feature.
    09-19-08 02:53 PM
    I too am currently running v4.5 on my 8330. DocsToGo is great, so is the HTML e-mail. Some of the preloaded ringtones don't seem to work in v4.5. I'm considering this a minor bug. I will be much happier when the official version comes out though...
    09-19-08 08:40 PM
    As a newbie who has a VZW Curve, can you tell how I will know when they release the 4.5 OS update and how and where do I download it? Thanks.
    09-20-08 02:28 PM
    As a newbie who has a VZW Curve, can you tell how I will know when they release the 4.5 OS update and how and where do I download it? Thanks.
    You will see it announced in the forums. The Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in several of the sigs shows you how to get it for your specific device, and McClure's Upgrade / Downgrade post will tell you how to install it.

09-20-08 03:00 PM
    I've been running 4.5.56 since it was officially released. I deleted the vendor file and the only bug I had was that the web browser disappeared. After a battery pull and resending my service books, everything worked. The html email is great. I don't really notice the browser being any better though. To anyone who has already done it, is it worth the time to upgrade to .66? What does it give ya?

09-23-08 04:19 PM
    the only bug I had was that the web browser disappeared.
    That's not a bug. That's a provisioning issue, as you discovered with it returning after you sent service books. This same thing can happen with supported OSs, depends on how you do the install/upgrade.
    09-23-08 04:36 PM
    Has verizon issued an ETA on when they'll release the new OS? I emailed them about it but am still waiting on a (most likely useless, canned) response and can't seem to find a definitive answer on the forums.

Thanks!

09-24-08 12:28 PM
    I'm on .66 with vzw and I think the browser is faster than .56. I'm downloading .77 to my pc now and when I see some reviews on that, I'll probably upgrade. I think the upgrade procedure is very easy and I've never had any problems with it. Usually takes me about an hour from start to finish, I just let it go while I work.
    09-24-08 02:49 PM
    the official--and expected--response:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. Due to the repercussions from Hurricane Ike in the Texas/Gulf Coast area, our Technical Support team is currently limited in staffing, and is experiencing higher than normal email volume at this time. Verizon Wireless is working diligently to reply to each customer?s email in a timely manner and appreciates your patience.

Thank you for your interest in keeping your BlackBerry Curve 8330 as up-to-date as possible. Please know that the operating system for use with your device and Desktop Manager that is supported by Verizon Wireless is ver. 4.3. I am aware of other versions that have been launched, but those are not supported by Verizon Wireless. If you choose to download and install a version that is not supported by Verizon Wireless, and any problems occur, we will not be able to troubleshoot the issue(s). In addition, use of a non-supported operating system on your device will void your Manufacturer?s Warranty agreement with Verizon Wireless. As a result, any troubleshooting issues will thence forward by directed to RIM-Blackberry.

If you wish to keep your device and Desktop Manager software up-to-date with Verizon Wireless-supported software, you will want to do so from the website at h/t/t/p/://vzw.smithmicro. com/blackberry/download.aspx?ct=personal.

I appreciate your interest in our data products and services. I would like to assure you that Verizon Wireless is committed to providing the very latest in products and services. For that reason, we rigorously test our products prior to launching them in an effort ensure they meet our standards of excellence. Doing so allows us to confidently address information regarding products or services that we currently offer. Disclosing any unconfirmed information that may be subject to change could raise expectations that may not be met. At this time, we are unable to state if/when version 4.5 will become available as no information has been given. I understand and sincerely apologize for any frustration and would like to encourage you to sign up for email updates so you can receive information regarding our new products and services.

I hope this information has proven helpful and informative. More detailed information and instructions can be found at the website at h/t/t/p/://w/w/w/.verizonwireless.com. I appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Debra
    Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support
    09-25-08 07:51 PM
    I downloaded it for Bell in Canada, seems to work great, love the voice recorder, worth the 45 minutes to download
    09-30-08 01:08 AM
    I'm running 4.5.0.77 on my 8830 with no snags. I went into a VZW store yesterday to have my trackball replaced and he was running the same OS on his phone. He said it was a "stable" version.

For easy installation be sure you have the latest desktop software it will do an auto upgrade when you connect your device to your comp via USB. Google 4.5.0.77 OS and you should find a download. Good luck!

09-30-08 10:13 AM
    I recently switched to v4.5.0.77 from US Cellular. Much improvement from the current Verizon version. My calendar sync now works properly, along with some other small but noticeable improvements.

Go ahead and switch. It was easy. Be sure to back things up though!
    09-30-08 02:11 PM
    If I google 4.5.0.77 will I have to mess with the vendor.xml file or whatever to get this baby on my bb. I want HTML email!
    09-30-08 05:07 PM
    Yes.

If you find it. You will need to install it to your computer. Then go to where the Vendor file is located (don't know off the top of my head) and delete it. At which point you can open DM and connect your BB.

My upgrade went pretty flawless and I don't have any complaints about .77. There are a few bugs but none that really make it not worth upgrading. Also be sure you tell it to install DocsToGo. It won't do it unless you select it. Run a search on how to do this. The info is out there you just have to look around. Its much better to find it yourself then to just have someone tell you. I usually find even more info in the process.
    09-30-08 07:57 PM
    I was in my local VZW store the other day and showed one of the CSR's my 4.5.0.77. She was so stoked about it that she went home and updated her 8330 then called me to let me know that it was running great.
    10-01-08 09:44 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD