Well I'm enjoying some lovely safe made curry and carress my BB. Then suddenly a question popped into my head.

Should RIM go micro sim? Here's why I think they should. As Apple and Samsung which I consider market leaders started to use micro sim cards I think it'd be a good time for RIM to offer phones that hold those cards as well. I used to switch phones depending on my mood and believe that if RIM would offer a phone with a micro sim Apple users or even Samsung users would be more willing to switch the plattform.

It'd be great to make more space for a bigger battery (hehe) and to go with the flow. What do you think about this? This just came to my head and please feel free to demolish me here if you so wish.
    07-24-12 11:44 AM
    Well, yeah. Simply because the more space you get for internals, the better. They're even
    talking about the iPhone going nano-sim size. I say, why not? Shouldn't just be Apple. At
    the beginning stages of these LTE radios, it would be good for manufacturers to have the
    most room they can.
    07-24-12 11:58 AM
    Yes micro SIM is the way to go. Since that is what most people are doing, you can switch phones with ease. Plus more space for the battery as you said.
    07-24-12 12:13 PM
    Call me crazy, but I don't think micro vs. non-micro SIM is the big reason why users aren't switching to the BB platform
    07-24-12 12:16 PM
    RIM fought against this format. They didn't succeed.
    => devAlpha is micro-sim ... I believe BB10 devices will too.
    07-24-12 12:26 PM
    RIM fought against this format. They didn't succeed.
    => devAlpha is micro-sim ... I believe BB10 devices will too.
    Oh didn't know that. Sounds good. Not sure about this nano sim. There was some talk of completely remove sim cards alltogether. Maybe in the future you get a code and that's it.

Like the idea of going micro. But realisticaly for you guys with the dev alpha device how much space could be made for a bigger battery? Could a photo be posted?
    07-24-12 01:21 PM
    Oh didn't know that. Sounds good. Not sure about this nano sim. There was some talk of completely remove sim cards alltogether. Maybe in the future you get a code and that's it.

Like the idea of going micro. But realisticaly for you guys with the dev alpha device how much space could be made for a bigger battery? Could a photo be posted?
    Going SIMless is pretty much the CDMA way. Which i don't think is such a great idea. With SIM, you can just pop it into any compatible phone and you're good to go, with the same number. The SIMless way, you have to call the carriers to switch devices. PITA.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-24-12 01:30 PM
    Call me crazy, but I don't think micro vs. non-micro SIM is the big reason why users aren't switching to the BB platform
    I respectfully disagree. 99% of the people I deal with when upgrading a device had no idea the new device took a different, smaller SIM card. Most of them can't even locate where the SIM card is on an iPhone 4/4S. I don't think it matters to most folks at all. People aren't switching because BB is viewed by many as old and boring.

I don't think it makes a difference either way, but it seems that smartphones are going the way of the micro SIM, it would make sense for RIM to do the same... Doesn't make much difference to me and my CDMA BB...
    07-24-12 01:39 PM
    Going SIMless is pretty much the CDMA way. Which i don't think is such a great idea. With SIM, you can just pop it into any compatible phone and you're good to go, with the same number. The SIMless way, you have to call the carriers to switch devices. PITA.
    This. I figured this out the hard way when I was on Verizon recently, and wanted to switch back and forth between an HTC Rezound and a BB 9930. Total PITA.
    07-24-12 01:55 PM
    I don't think it matters to most folks at all.
    That's exactly what I was saying Maybe I didn't word it too well.

I looked at my 9780, and this may be different for other devices (especially the new Curves), but my SIM slot is under the surface of the battery, and relatively distant from the terminals. The slot is nowhere near hindering the size or the thickness of the battery.

I'm all for making the slot smaller if possible, but only if it benefits the user, and not Apple, Samsung, RIM, Nokia, etc. I don't think manufacturers really care about SIM 'switchability' between devices, and that is totally understandable to me.
    07-24-12 02:23 PM
    Sorry call me an ignorant European but this already exists with this CDMA? Didn't know it was already in use.
    07-24-12 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD