Okay, I get that RIM is hurting right now and money is tight, but they have ZERO marketing going on for one of their best devices. Has RIM given up?

Granted, the Playbook launch was troubled. But the 2.0 update yielded a surprisingly capable tablet computing experience - miles ahead of Android (at least up to the Nexus 7 launch) and STILL the best multitasking in tablets.

No, it's not a perfect product, but it is the best, most up-to-date product in RIM's portfolio. At this point I'm beginning to wonder if the fabled 2.1 update will ever happen, or if the Playbook has been back-burnered for good. Could it be a situation where this was Mike L's baby and now Thorsten wants to cut it loose?
    Last edited by fanchettes; 07-20-12 at 03:53 PM.
    07-20-12 03:51 PM
    Wow...just. Wow
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-20-12 04:01 PM
    RIM has stated time and time again that they are fully committed to the tablet market ie: The PlayBook.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    07-20-12 04:02 PM
    i think they will promoted with bb10. All the reports ive seen is the "new pb" is coming out later this year, so i dont think they're abandoning it. You are definitely hit the nail on the head. they're marketing is figgin horrible. That is half the battle and they have NONE. great product, not perfect, but definitely worth promoting. Good post, big pet peev of mine with rim.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    zma15 likes this.
    07-20-12 04:03 PM
    Not at all- in fact, they're releasing two new Playbook models (with 4G) December-ish (don't quote me on the date )

They're probably quiet on Playbook ads right now because of that.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    07-20-12 04:06 PM
    If Rim really wanted to create some excitement (or at least interest) in BB10 in the many, many months leading up to its (alleged) release date, it would be moving Heaven and Earth to get its only QNX device firing on all cylinders and into as many hands as possible. That means a 2.1 update that is meaningful (see forum on that topic for what users consider requisite) and promoting it as the model for the upcoming BB10. But what instead do we see? Of the things PB users want to see in their device NOW, virtually none will be addressed by 2.1, according to all reports. Is that the mark of a serious company? I'll let y'all decide.
    07-20-12 04:08 PM
    RIM haven't gave up on the Playbook. They've promoted it in New York at several locations recently.

Apparently it'll eventually get BB10 & the 4G is just around the corner too.
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    07-20-12 04:08 PM
    There focused on BB10 right now.

If they try to make a push about the Playbook, the media would probably beat them up for wasting BB10 marketing money...
    07-20-12 04:09 PM
    If Rim really wanted to create some excitement (or at least interest) in BB10 in the many, many months leading up to its (alleged) release date, it would be moving Heaven and Earth to get its only QNX device firing on all cylinders and into as many hands as possible. That means a 2.1 update that is meaningful (see forum on that topic for what users consider requisite) and promoting it as the model for the upcoming BB10. But what instead do we see? Of the things PB users want to see in their device NOW, virtually none will be addressed by 2.1, according to all reports. Is that the mark of a serious company? I'll let y'all decide.
    If there focusing on the things people want being in BB10, then this move makes sense.

This especially is true since BB10 will be put on the Playbook.
    07-20-12 04:11 PM
    Not at all- in fact, they're releasing two new Playbook models (with 4G) December-ish (don't quote me on the date )

You're not serious, are you? Is a 4G the upgrade PB needs? I don't think so. There's precious little interest in 4G tablets anywhere. So instead, how about fixing what they've got so that there is some actual enthusiasm about what Rim can do, rather than veer off in a new direction with a flawed device that will only remind reviewers all over again that Rim can't deliver a solid, competitive product.
    07-20-12 04:12 PM
    I always wonder what is the purpose of messages like this.. mostly I just ignore them..
    07-20-12 04:22 PM
    RIM has stated time and time again that they are fully committed to the tablet market ie: The PlayBook.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    To be an a** about it; is this the same RIM that said time and time again that email would be available on the Playbook in 30 days...oops I meant 60 days....oops I really meant 120 days...oops, what was I thinking, I really really meant summer...oops I'll just shut up now and say that its coming out sometime? Or is this the same RIM that said repeatedly that BB10 would be available this year only to go haha, we really meant next year.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic here, but it's to try and illustrate a point - RIM's track record of following through on "promises" is less than stellar these past number of years. And while I personally believe that RIM is still committed to the Playbook and the tablet market; and in all honesty, I believe that they are making some much needed changes as to how their business is run - not the last of which is to be less arrogant - I think it is still advisable to be cautious when it comes to accepting the face value of what RIM says.

Or to put it another way, I BELIEVE that RIM has every intention to continue supporting the Playbook; but I DONT trust that RIM will continue supporting the Playbook.
    cgull, look_alive, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    07-20-12 04:22 PM
    I always wonder what is the purpose of messages like this.. mostly I just ignore them..
    Often the wisest course of action.
    bungaboy and rotorwrench like this.
    07-20-12 04:25 PM

Nah, I'll just quote your message.

Rim never has a date that can be quoted. Only slogans: 60 days, Just around the corner, soon, Summer .....

Eventually, they all prove elusive and, I guess, illusive (smoke and mirrors comes to mind)
    anon(1308230) and JeepBB like this.
    07-20-12 04:47 PM
    About 2 weeks ago in the Toronto area the Playbook was bundled with a 9900 for $249. And this week in Grand Central station in NY I checked out the Playbook booth and was told I could get $150 worth of accessories free if I bought a Playbook at Chelsea market during my stay in New York.

Apps are still flowing into App world as well, with the exception of those few that evidently receive a badge of honour for proudly proclaiming they do not support the BlackBerry platform "at this time".
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    07-20-12 04:55 PM
    Aren't they doing events where they give away fried chicken and free booze to attract in possible customers?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-20-12 04:59 PM
    If there is now BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 2.1 update released this summer and 3.0 released in December ahead of the first smartphones running BlackBerry 10, I doubt we will ever see the tablet updated. And there is definitely something rotten within the corporate culture when lies and deceit are daily practices instead of delivering exceptionally high-value, high-quality products and services.
    07-20-12 07:07 PM
    Wow...just. Wow
    You took the words out of my mouth...
    07-20-12 07:49 PM

They ad quiet about it because it won't be out til next year so it can release the same time BB10. Unless they want the new BlackBerry PlayBook to be ready for Xmas with a lot of promises.
    07-20-12 10:28 PM
    You took the words out of my mouth...
    Agreed....
    07-20-12 10:33 PM
    Agreed....
    Agreed as well...
    07-20-12 11:27 PM
    Hold your horses, it�s coming very soon. - Almighty Thor
    07-20-12 11:35 PM
    About 2 weeks ago in the Toronto area the Playbook was bundled with a 9900 for $249. And this week in Grand Central station in NY I checked out the Playbook booth and was told I could get $150 worth of accessories free if I bought a Playbook at Chelsea market during my stay in New York.

Apps are still flowing into App world as well, with the exception of those few that evidently receive a badge of honour for proudly proclaiming they do not support the BlackBerry platform "at this time".
    Actually, everyday of the event at Chelsea Market, they give away a 64gig PB or two with the included accessories as well. I've been to three of them there already(I work nearby) and it's on till Monday.
    07-20-12 11:44 PM
    You're not serious, are you? Is a 4G the upgrade PB needs? I don't think so. There's precious little interest in 4G tablets anywhere. So instead, how about fixing what they've got so that there is some actual enthusiasm about what Rim can do, rather than veer off in a new direction with a flawed device that will only remind reviewers all over again that Rim can't deliver a solid, competitive product.
    PlayBook 4g release date leaked: Q4 2012
    07-21-12 09:51 AM
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry PlayBook Experience - US

Yea from What I can See in this link it appears they have giving up on the PlayBook
    07-21-12 10:34 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD