Just read this on Engadget

RIM gets patent for logic-based text prediction, BlackBerry 10 keyboard now preserved for the ages -- Engadget

RIM gets patent for logic-based text prediction, BlackBerry 10 keyboard now preserved for the ages
    By Jon Fingas posted Jul 17th 2012 10:13PM

RIM gets patent for logicbased text prediction, BlackBerry 10 says hello

For those of us who aren't fans of swipe gestures, the highlight of BlackBerry 10 is undoubtedly a unique keyboard that's often a step ahead of its user. It's a good thing for this last camp that RIM was just granted the final version of a related patent for logic-based text prediction. Instead of simply hunting for typos, the patented keyboard guesses the next word based either on the context of the words around it or on other criteria, like common expressions. About the only time the technique doesn't predict words is for passwords -- RIM would rather not be that clever. While there looks to be a few differences in the practical implementation of the patent as we've seen it in a pre-release BlackBerry 10, theory and reality are close enough that RIM won't be worried about anyone else poaching its seemingly mind-reading technology anytime soon.
    07-17-12 09:19 PM
    That's interesting... I thought they worked with Swiftkey to create the keyboard.
    07-17-12 09:24 PM
    That's interesting... I thought they worked with Swiftkey to create the keyboard.
    that was my thoughts too, be interesting to see if RIM designed the system and swiftkey now license it out
    07-17-12 09:33 PM
    Good.
    RIM needs to protect its intellectual property.
    Thanks for posting this. I'm a physical keyboard kinda guy but I am seriously looking at the BB10 full screen. However, if the BB10 with full keyboard is released within a month I will just get it.

I read that RIM got awarded a patent for capturing the energy in the physical keyboard as it was used. This would be awesome. The more you work the more you can keep going.
    07-17-12 09:39 PM
    What is great about this is that they filed for the patent back in May 2011, which means they've been working on this for well over a year,

RIM hasn't stopped innovating, they just needed an OS they actually could put these innovations in that wouldn't lock up every 3rd word!

Thankfully them dropping the JVM based OS for QNX based OS will let us get all this,
    I wonder how swiftkey's system works? how similar it is? if they have cross licensing underway?
    07-17-12 09:47 PM
    What is great about this is that they filed for the patent back in May 2011, which means they've been working on this for well over a year,

RIM hasn't stopped innovating, they just needed an OS they actually could put these innovations in that wouldn't lock up every 3rd word!

Thankfully them dropping the JVM based OS for QNX based OS will let us get all this,
    I wonder how swiftkey's system works? how similar it is? if they have cross licensing underway?
    Wow, they've been working on it that long? Cool to know. I must admit that I'm thinking this keyboard is going to be fantastic upon release. I've never owned a all touch device myself but I'm definitely going to be looking to try this out with the first l-series device
    07-17-12 10:23 PM
    Wow, they've been working on it that long? Cool to know. I must admit that I'm thinking this keyboard is going to be fantastic upon release. I've never owned a all touch device myself but I'm definitely going to be looking to try this out with the first l-series device
    It took me about a week to transition to a touchscreen keyboard.
    First couple days will annoy you badly, just give it a little time.
    If the new keyboard is at least as good as SwiftKey you'll love it.
    07-18-12 10:34 AM

that was my thoughts too, be interesting to see if RIM designed the system and swiftkey now license it out
    Is it possible that Swiftkey helped them with the actual look and layout of the keyboard but they've patented the algorithm to predict your next word and swipe up to select? Or are they too much alike to be separated from each other? I know nothing about our patent system, other than everyone says it's a joke.
    07-18-12 10:38 AM
    It took me about a week to transition to a touchscreen keyboard.
    First couple days will annoy you badly, just give it a little time.
    If the new keyboard is at least as good as SwiftKey you'll love it.
    Same here. When I first switched to a virtual keyboard, it drove me nuts for almost a week. Now I can kill it. I did find, however, that starting with the reduced keyboard (2 letters per key) helped me with my aim, and once I had that down, I went to full QWERTY virtual. If you do go virtual, give that a go.
    07-18-12 10:45 AM
    Is it possible that Swiftkey helped them with the actual look and layout of the keyboard but they've patented the algorithm to predict your next word and swipe up to select? Or are they too much alike to be separated from each other? I know nothing about our patent system, other than everyone says it's a joke.
    I figured it would be the other way around. RIM knows how to create good keyboard layouts and designs, but would probably need help with the algorithms which SwiftKey would be able to assist with.

Either way, it's good that RIM has the patent now.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 07-18-12 at 04:50 PM.
    drjay868 likes this.
    07-18-12 04:47 PM
    Same here. When I first switched to a virtual keyboard, it drove me nuts for almost a week. Now I can kill it. I did find, however, that starting with the reduced keyboard (2 letters per key) helped me with my aim, and once I had that down, I went to full QWERTY virtual. If you do go virtual, give that a go.
    I went with a stock keyboard, then went to Swype. Was really good with Swype but tried SwiftKey and never went back.
    Great piece of software.
    I tried the new goofy keyboard that is laid out in a circle, it blows. I'm not patient enough to retrain myself. Forgot the name of it.
    07-18-12 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD