Anyone aware of any apps that will allow me to do this? There are apps that allow me to connect, copy, transfer, etc but can't seem to find anything which will permit me to stream directly off the NAS.

Thanks in advance.
    07-17-12 05:57 PM
    Try orb or sonic air or subsonic. I use orb for movies but music2touch & skytunes for music. I am not sure about running direct from NAS or not, I've been using an old pc as a server which works great. Good luck, I would like to know what solutions you come up with.
    mayaprophet likes this.
    07-17-12 10:40 PM
    From what I can tell, most available options require you to install something on the server side (i.e. they favor pc-based solutions vs. a nas running some embedded linux dist). Keen to know if you find anything though (admittedly I haven't been paying that much attention to new apps).
    07-17-12 10:53 PM
    I have a server (unraid if that matters) and I use ES File Explorer (android app sideloaded) and it plays xvid avi files great over the network. No additional software required. Don't quote me on it but I believe it uses SMB or the regular \\hostname like a champ.

I haven't tried streaming pre-converted HD x264 files yet though, those I usually throw on the PB itself.
    07-17-12 11:06 PM
    YES, YES, YES ! ! !
    It works like a charm :-)
    Thank you !
    Just installed ES File Explorer and made a shortcut to ma NAS (Lacie Network Space 2). I'm able to browse and open directly pictures, mp4 movies, etc. There is even a slideshow that works fine and all that the need without copying files to the playbook.
    I have seen that for some kind of file, ES Explorer makes a local temporary copy and then open it.
    MKV files and MTS doesn't work but we already know about that problem.

Eddy
    Belgium
    07-18-12 06:25 AM
    YES, YES, YES ! ! !
    It works like a charm :-)
    Thank you !
    Just installed ES File Explorer and made a shortcut to ma NAS (Lacie Network Space 2). I'm able to browse and open directly pictures, mp4 movies, etc. There is even a slideshow that works fine and all that the need without copying files to the playbook.
    I have seen that for some kind of file, ES Explorer makes a local temporary copy and then open it.
    MKV files and MTS doesn't work but we already know about that problem.

Eddy
    Belgium
    And it works even better under OS 2.1.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-18-12 06:10 PM
    With my Western Digital, I simply put my drive's ip address:9000 in browser. For example 198.162.0.199:9000.

Sent from.....the future.
    07-18-12 09:56 PM
    +1 for ES File Explorer. It works like a charm.
    07-19-12 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD