I have two problems with freezing. (Love the phone otherwise)

1) Everyday the screen will freeze at some point. I can still use the track button (or whatever that's called) when it happens. But, I have to pull battery to get touch screen use again.

2) Not as often, but every now and then when I answer a call the screen will freeze. I can see the connected call and apparently the caller can hear me, but I can't press anything on the screen to answer. I have to hit end and then call them back.

Help?
    07-16-12 11:53 PM
    I have the same problem. I also have have a problem that sometimes my phone has no sound, in or out. This happens only under certain conditions. If I place a call and at the same time a call is coming in, my call fails. Then the incoming call rings and I try to answer it. At this point I don't hear anything and the caller can't hear me. If I try to make another call or a call comes in I still can't hear anything and neither can the caller calling me. The only way to fix this is a battery pull. I'm on official verizon OS 7.1.0.163. I've had several replacement phones and tried different OS's and the problem happens on all of them. It's not the device it must be a problem with the OS. Unfortunately RIM has given up on this device and so have the carriers.
    Between this and the non-responsive screen and the problems with the space button while typing I am fed up with this phone. Unfortunately I have no other options at this time. I'll have to wait and see what the iPhone 5 is like or if they ever come out with BB10.
    07-17-12 09:08 AM
    My girlfriend has this problem. She never closes out her apps, including things like the weather channel and the media player, but I suspect the main culprit is Epocrates. It did the same thing to all her previous phones. I speculate it has something to do with the app(s) eating up available memory, the resident memory leak, and apps asking for updated information all the time.

I say try one of the leaked or official OS's higher than what Verizon offers and try to keep the apps you have open to a minimum. Also get BBSAK, back up all your apps and data, do a full device wipe, then install the OS, then restore your apps from the "My World" section of App world. I recently did this in what appears to be a successful attempt to fix a network connectivity problem, and I feel like I've got a new phone (oh placebo).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    07-17-12 01:50 PM
    Have you tried re loading the OS? I have the torch and the bold and so far no issue like that so far. When ever I get the issue you describe re loading the OS helps.
    I also dont load too many apps on my devices I have found this to also be a issue in the past.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ESN; 07-17-12 at 04:47 PM.
    07-17-12 04:38 PM
    Same here! Impossible to to feel confident that this phone is reliable. Use it for business and do not need this aggravation.
    What is Blackberry's problem. This and calling issues that people can not hear me and wait 5 minutes with a battery pull?
    I know I am not the only one and not Verizon issue. My work counterparts have ATT and Sprint. 9850 and 9930's with the call issues.
    Hard to believe that RIM/Blackberry is getting bad press (sarcasm).
    This is inexcusable for a company like this and primary use is business.
    Embarrassing.
    Sell RIM!!!!

BB10-The answer-I think not. 9850 and 9900 were there answers before. How many times does RIM expect to have BB users coming back. The time it is taking for the "answer" (BB10) indicates the inefficiency and lack of competent employees. Either no sense of rush or they are clueless. I think the later of the two! Maybe BB2001 might be the fix or steal some people from Apple???

Sorry for the sarcasm, but fed up pulling the battery every day-unbelievable! Got to be a skit for Saturday Night Live here!
    Last edited by popeye; 07-18-12 at 08:12 AM.
    07-18-12 08:04 AM
    If the playbook is any indication then I think blackberry 10 will cure all. it never lags at all.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    07-18-12 10:13 AM
    Any of you try running the phone in safety mode for a while? Pull the battery, reinstall and hold the back button until booted. That will eliminate all apps from the equation.
    07-18-12 10:21 AM
    I don't have those issues, yet. Glad I don't.
    07-18-12 11:10 AM
    If re loading the OS doesn't work then get it replaced. I go through several devices a year in my house verizon can't fix over the phone so they send me a replacement. My son has a samsung android device and it has been replaced several times for similar reasons. Its not just Rim that has phone issues.
    07-18-12 01:22 PM
    If the playbook is any indication then I think blackberry 10 will cure all. it never lags at all.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    That's pretty funny right there
    07-22-12 07:59 PM
    If re loading the OS doesn't work then get it replaced. I go through several devices a year in my house verizon can't fix over the phone so they send me a replacement. My son has a samsung android device and it has been replaced several times for similar reasons. Its not just Rim that has phone issues.
    Replacement hardware doesn't fix the issue, I'm on my 3rd 9850 now. First one lost wifi and bluetooth radios, 2nd one had a bad trackpad and button issues. I only kept a few essential apps on the 3rd one. I was almost certain that fixmo tools was causing my freezing so I never reloaded it. I'm going to try out the new sprint os and see if it gets any better.
    07-22-12 08:04 PM
    I had a screen go crazy on me due to a screenprotector that was not attached in one corner.
    07-24-12 01:49 PM
    Same here! Impossible to to feel confident that this phone is reliable. Use it for business and do not need this aggravation.
    What is Blackberry's problem. This and calling issues that people can not hear me and wait 5 minutes with a battery pull?
    I know I am not the only one and not Verizon issue. My work counterparts have ATT and Sprint. 9850 and 9930's with the call issues.
    Hard to believe that RIM/Blackberry is getting bad press (sarcasm).
    This is inexcusable for a company like this and primary use is business.
    Embarrassing.
    Sell RIM!!!!

BB10-The answer-I think not. 9850 and 9900 were there answers before. How many times does RIM expect to have BB users coming back. The time it is taking for the "answer" (BB10) indicates the inefficiency and lack of competent employees. Either no sense of rush or they are clueless. I think the later of the two! Maybe BB2001 might be the fix or steal some people from Apple???

Sorry for the sarcasm, but fed up pulling the battery every day-unbelievable! Got to be a skit for Saturday Night Live here!
    There are a few apps out there that will do a hard reset of the phone, like a battery pull, automatically for you. I have mine set to happen at 4am so by the time I wake up for work at 5am, the phone is fast and fresh.

Any BB phone I've had would freeeze daily until I started using one of these apps. Since then, I only get freezes when trying to do multiple resource intensive processes at a time. Roughly once a week. When that happens, I wait it out (2-3mins), and as soon as the phone comes back I do a memory cleaner and continue with whatever I was doing.

Both are very easy processes bc I have QuickLaunch installed with those options (manual reboot or memory cleaner) only 2 clicks/taps away.
    07-25-12 08:38 AM
    I had those same problems. I was ready to get a replacement but decided to spend some time trying all other possible solutions.

#1) Back-up and make sure your OS is completely up to date via Desktop Manager (checking via your phone won't tell you if you have all updates to your current OS applied).

if that doesn't work (it didn't for me) ...
    #2) back-up, full wipe (remove memory card to avoid loss of data), restore only APPS that you can't live without, and apply any and all required OS updates. Activate device analyzer to monitor battery usage (report will include memory usage hogs and such)

#3) reinstall one APP at a time that you didn't reinstall in step #2 and monitor how the phone is reacting by way of normal usage and device analyzer. If you find that it returns back to being difficult after a certain APP, then you know the culprit.

#4) If it's an APP, go from Step#2 again and avoid re-installing the problem app.

I know it's alot, It was for me too. However my phone is working better than ever now! Even my battery usage has gone done from over 13% drain per hour with no phone use (horrific) to about 2.5% drain per hour with heavy use now. It's definitely worth it!!

Remember that most of the time it's not the phone that's the problem, but rather the APPs that you put on it.

Good Luck

***** UPDATE ******

I found that the APP giving me the most problems was restart me. I know alot of people frown on QuickPull and preferred restart me. I had nothing but problems with restart me every time I tried to use it. QuickPull was always reliable and I ended up sticking with it. No issues since.
    Last edited by frannip; 07-25-12 at 03:15 PM.
    07-25-12 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD