07-16-12 05:39 PM
    Sad but RIM dug their grave when they announced the BB10 delay. Now customers like Qantas are burying them. Anyone surprised by this is living in a fantasy land and this may be only the begining of a trend until they can get the product out.
    Last edited by dynot; 07-16-12 at 06:17 PM.
    07-16-12 06:15 PM
    I'm dying to see how Quantas is going to assure customers that "security is up to snuff" with iPhones!
    07-16-12 06:19 PM
    I'm dying to see how Quantas is going to assure customers that "security is up to snuff" with iPhones!
    Probably won't be that difficult since the majority are most likely using the same device (or android). And they probably think its secure enough already, whether true or not.
    07-16-12 06:25 PM
    Whatever!
    07-16-12 06:29 PM
    I think before treading down this path it would be useful to establish how Qantas
    used the BlackBerry and how they will use the iPhone going forward.

It is completely possible that this will have zero impact on security.

I know this does not fit into the almost automatic knee-j3rk hatred for iPhone
    but it really is an honest and legitimate point to consider.
    morlock_man and app_Developer like this.
    07-16-12 06:43 PM
    So what ? How many users ? 200 ?
    Ok let it be, and this doom and gloom hit other front pages.
    07-16-12 06:47 PM
    Will my BlackBerry stop working once this company switches to iPhone?
    07-16-12 06:52 PM
    Quantas's number's as an individual company are negligible.

One would need to add up the number of defections from various entities in order to get any real picture as to how much this affects/does not affect RIM.
    07-16-12 06:56 PM
    I think before treading down this path it would be useful to establish how Qantas

I agree

my more so Knee reaction is how they expect to save Millions of dollars moving from BlackBerry to iPhone 1800 devices , approximately $86000 a year could be saved from BES fees assuming they are not getting another MDM solution and just pushing email and calendar to the devices.

Sounds like it is being over sensationalized, and it's working
    07-16-12 07:07 PM
    I agree

No. Never.
    07-16-12 07:09 PM
    Wow - appreciate the in depth response and obviously carefully considered analysis of the content.

Next time, though, you may want to actually read the article before you wave your arms around - the very first paragraph said 1,300 phones.

- R.
    tjioer likes this.
    07-16-12 07:24 PM

Interesting view, from the other side, its noticed who aways has the opposite Knee-j3rk reaction. all this on a BB fan site. Who's out of touch?
    filmgirl likes this.
    07-16-12 07:42 PM
    It's 1,300.

While that many still not seem like a huge number to you, it adds up when more and more companies with 1,000+ users dump their BBs.

The most concerning thing is that this is a trend - it's not just a one-off.

People here can continue to bury their heads in the sand, but remember - burying their heads in the sand is exactly why RIM is in the trouble they're in today.

This latest BB10 delay did a lot of damage. Many companies are in plans to drop BB - you just haven't heard about them yet.

Things are going to get really ugly.
    07-16-12 07:49 PM
    You paid trolls are to funny. All the government continue to stay with blackberry including the most powerful government in the world ...USA. Majority of fortune 500 are also staying with blackberry. 1,300 is nothing and from ios getting hacked apart it is only a matter of time before every developer leaves ios . You know QNX is in the space station , space shuttle , power plants, million's of auto's, medical equipment and much much more. QNX can do what ios and android will never be able to do. NASA would never use ios or android but they are using QNX. That says alot . January 2013 is when apple become the new RIM. enjoy it while it lasts .
    07-16-12 08:12 PM
    This part of the sentence in the article, "...employee feedback is steering the decision to wing it Apple's way", is likely more important than whatever cost overheads they might be saving.

Although IT managers love to say that they can more easily control and secure BB devices, the reality is that a growing majority of employees seem to want something else, and their voices do matter when you start realizing that maybe many companies don't need the full level of security that a BB provides: for e.g. where I work, IT restrictions on our BBs were simply too harsh, you couldn't download any apps (even ones that would increase productivity like Expense reports apps), you couldn't download themes, you couldn't do squat. The alternative is to carry a second phone for personal use, but that's ridiculous when you don't need the security of a BB for the type of work that we do. Management starting realizing this too.

So when your BB is just an email fetcher, you can see the allure of a shiny iPhone or Android. And truthfully, if a company does allow BYOD, it simply means that it never needed the full security that a BB provides.
    07-16-12 08:25 PM
    I agree

my more so Knee reaction is how they expect to save Millions of dollars moving from BlackBerry to iPhone 1800 devices , approximately $86000 a year could be saved from BES fees assuming they are not getting another MDM solution and just pushing email and calendar to the devices.

Even more arresting than that questionable number is IBM Australia stating that
    by eliminating 500 BlackBerrys they will realize a $1.4 million savings.

As an Accountant I have done some fairly "creative" accounting (I ain't proud )
    but even I can't make that insanity work.
    morganplus8 and highos like this.
    07-16-12 08:36 PM
    Interesting view, from the other side, its noticed who aways has the opposite Knee-j3rk reaction. all this on a BB fan site. Who's out of touch?
    I'm sure there is a point you are trying to make but if it is in any way an attempt
    to paint me as the "anti-RIM other side" you are too cute by half.
    07-16-12 08:45 PM
    I'm sure there is a point you are trying to make but if it is in any way an attempt
    to paint me as the "anti-RIM other side" you are too cute by half.
    "Some people need an Exorcist, others just need an enema."

- Some Really Funny Comedian That I Saw At Caroline's The Other Night -
    07-16-12 08:53 PM
    You paid trolls are to funny. All the government continue to stay with blackberry including the most powerful government in the world ...USA. Majority of fortune 500 are also staying with blackberry. 1,300 is nothing and from ios getting hacked apart it is only a matter of time before every developer leaves ios . You know QNX is in the space station , space shuttle , power plants, million's of auto's, medical equipment and much much more. QNX can do what ios and android will never be able to do. NASA would never use ios or android but they are using QNX. That says alot . January 2013 is when apple become the new RIM. enjoy it while it lasts .
    Wow!
    How can you tell who is a troll (on a cellular carriers' payroll) and who is not? No. I'm not naive, just curious. I see that posted alot. I'm seeing just as much misinformation posted by those that "are not" trolls on the forums(to defend RIM) as those that are assumed to be or declared to be a troll. Anyway,it's great that QNX makes everything better - including the space shuttle. But, those statements will be much more impressive ....when we are able to use our QNX BlackBerries on our new QNX Platform. Otherwise, it's just repeating what has already been posted.

2013 is when apple become the new RIM. enjoy it while it lasts
    Keep hope alive and time will reveal all.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 07-16-12 at 11:26 PM.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-16-12 09:05 PM
    I'm not a "paid troll", but qnx might run nukes plants yet it can't email for sh*t. Ever try adding multiple attachments on the PlayBook?

Like it or not, quantas is not the first or last company to drop their berries. Demos and promises only go so far in the corporate world....
    07-16-12 10:01 PM
    Does the average user on the street care about what's keeping the ICS from crashing to Earth, or controlling the flow of electricity, the OS on an auto?
    NASA may never use IOS to run a system but they damn sure took an iPhone into space:
    NASA.gov: First iPhone Flying on Last Shuttle
    Why? Cause of an app, not security.

This part of the sentence in the article, "...employee feedback is steering the decision to wing it Apple's way", is likely more important than whatever cost overheads they might be saving.

Although IT managers love to say that they can more easily control and secure BB devices, the reality is that a growing majority of employees seem to want something else, and their voices do matter when you start realizing that maybe many companies don't need the full level of security that a BB provides: for e.g. where I work, IT restrictions on our BBs were simply too harsh, you couldn't download any apps (even ones that would increase productivity like Expense reports apps), you couldn't download themes, you couldn't do squat. The alternative is to carry a second phone for personal use, but that's ridiculous when you don't need the security of a BB for the type of work that we do. Management starting realizing this too.

So when your BB is just an email fetcher, you can see the allure of a shiny iPhone or Android. And truthfully, if a company does allow BYOD, it simply means that it never needed the full security that a BB provides.
    Your company is not the only with locked down Blackberries. For many it's just a remote mailbox.
    07-16-12 10:14 PM
    Android is such junk lol, you need a baseball glove to use the S3. Ios is ok, its an ipod with a revised software. I have a 4s and a 9900, I use the 4s whenever im bored as . Its very poor for productivity. People will realize that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-17-12 12:30 AM
    Android is such junk lol, you need a baseball glove to use the S3. Ios is ok, its an ipod with a revised software. I have a 4s and a 9900, I use the 4s whenever im bored as . Its very poor for productivity. People will realize that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    You really should reconsider your comments before you post,.....and it ls not their fault you have "small hands".
    Rickroller and tjioer like this.
    07-17-12 01:19 AM
    Wow - appreciate the in depth response and obviously carefully considered analysis of the content.
    Next time, though, you may want to actually read the article before you wave your arms around - the very first paragraph said 1,300 phones.
    - R.
    Next time, please don't consider me as a lemon and believe I also read some other resources over the web. This has been covered already (OP link is a third level one) and I ranted alike on the relaying site (N4BB) as this is nothing.

In the exact same time this company leaves, as similar sized one can join the dance. It's not relevant, it's pure doom and gloom, while 90% of the fortune 1000 companies are and stand committed with RIM.
    Did you also understand the article ? "The time scale is indefinite enough that it's unlikely that we'll see the airline crew members distracted by a game of Amazing Alex on that next flight to Melbourne" that confirms the announcement effect, skillful APPL classic commercial deal: "communicate for discount". Now, there won't be nothing until a year or so. In the meantime BB10 will be there.

Arguments given have the exact opposite relevant ones, so we can debate if I missed 1.3K devices when I under-estimated 200 users ... who cares. I believe I should store this somewhere so that I can - my turn - copy/paste in a vast number of threads like this one.

P.S: the targeted site in my initial rant even changed the title for "Qantas Gives Up Security by Replacing All BlackBerrys with Apple iPhones". Well ... lol
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-17-12 at 02:15 AM.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-17-12 02:12 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD