Hey guys im new to this forum, but been a blackberry user for about 4 years now.

Like most of you ive been patiently waiting for the bold to be released here in the USA, and ive officially lost all my patience.

So since i've never had to buy a unlocked blackberry, i thought id ask you guys for some advice.

I can buy a unlocked bold (rogers branded) for roughly $750, or a unbranded bold for around $800.

Which one should i go for, im kind of scared to buy the unbranded one for the reason that i dont know if it will actually work.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks
    09-18-08 11:36 AM
    I would go for the branded unlocked rogers bold. Its cheaper and yes it does have the rogers logo on the front, but so what its an amazing phone. I sold my iPhone 3G just because my Bold was so much better.
    09-18-08 11:41 AM
    where were u thinking of buying it? i'm looking into doing the same thing
    09-18-08 11:47 AM
    where were u thinking of buying it? i'm looking into doing the same thing
    The rogers one on ebay, and the unbranded was on a site called overseas phones or something like that.

Im thinkin of going towards the rogers joint, since ive lived in Canada and know that even though rogers are crooks, theirs phones are reliable.

Thanks for the info guys.
    09-18-08 11:50 AM
    I would also go for the branded rogers phone as well. Also, I have seen somewhere in these forums a link to a online store which sells the small piece of plastic at the bottom of the bold which has the Rogers logo. You can get them with different brands or no brand at all. Can't remember the name of the store though but if ya search the forums you will find it.
    09-18-08 11:50 AM
    I should just order it from Rogers myself, ship it to my parents house, and buy a unlock code online.
    Might take longer but still....ill know im actually getting the real deal holyfield.l
    09-18-08 11:55 AM
    Ya thats your best bet. Ya never know what ur gonna get with the unbranded one. And plus the Rogers one is cheaper.
    09-18-08 11:58 AM
    I just seen that the Bold isn't coming to US until Nov. If you guys want I live in Canada and will be happy to help you out in getting a Bold. I have bought and shipped to several people here on CB you can ask them how the process works if you like. The phone is 735.00 25.00 paypal fee if you use a c/c (NOT MINE). And then the shipping. according to where you live but next day fedex seems to run about 80.00 to TX & California maybe cheaper. if you are interested please send me a message I will give you the details. Also the phone will be a Rogers phone and will be unlocked. Oh yeah, and it is in CDN dollars not American lol!!

Sarah
    09-18-08 03:09 PM
    How much would it be in USD?
    09-18-08 05:00 PM
    How much would it be in USD?
    The official rate from xe.com is about 94 cents at the moment
    So the 735 = about US$690 + paypal fee + shipping

However your credit card company will decide the exchange rate and they generally like to fist their customers on things like this. They will also likely charge a foreign exchange transaction fee - you should call your CC company to ask the deal for foreign currency transactions.
    09-18-08 06:22 PM
    Anyone bought a Bold from stores off the internet? There are several under $400. Just don't know how legit they are.
    09-20-08 09:09 AM
    The official rate from xe.com is about 94 cents at the moment
    So the 735 = about US$690 + paypal fee + shipping

However your credit card company will decide the exchange rate and they generally like to fist their customers on things like this. They will also likely charge a foreign exchange transaction fee - you should call your CC company to ask the deal for foreign currency transactions.
    Going through PayPal is a much better way to go. That's the way I did it and instead of using FedEX, I had my friend use ExpressPost, insured. My Bold got here in a few days from Brisbane (Ontario) with no problems whatsoever! It was unlocked, worked absolutely perfectly with the AT&T sim from the moment I turned it on and I couldn't be happier.

Rogers will not send the phone to a US location because of trade agreements - or at least they shouldn't be sending them here. If RIM, AT&T or T Mobile find out they are, they'd be in a lot of trouble. A second party (buyer from Rogers) can do whatever they want - they would be a reseller.

Shell
    09-20-08 09:48 AM
    Anyone bought a Bold from stores off the internet? There are several under $400. Just don't know how legit they are.
    Danger Will Robinson Danger
    09-20-08 10:34 AM
    hey, watch out - i got scammed from an overseas site - i'd go with the rogers idea. granted i was a complete ***** feeling rich that day and yes, stop laughing, actually wester unioned some guy in london 300 or 400 bucks who then send me an invoice saying that it needed parts from nigeria, yes of course it did - i mean, RIMM does most of their manufacturing in nigeria right???

learn from my mistakes!
    09-21-08 11:02 AM
    can anyone suggest the easiest/safest solution to get an unlocked blackberry bold for US use. gsmunlockintl.com seems pretty legit.

but the prices of phones seem to run from 400 - 1200 - i'd be happy paying under 650 with some confidence; especially since i was dumb enough to get scammed once before.......

thanks in advance
    stuart
    [email protected]
    09-21-08 11:07 AM
    i haven't tried it with the Bold, but this site has always worked for me in the past, this won't let me post a URL but it's called
    gsm unlock intl dot com
    09-21-08 11:13 AM
    I bought mine from thecellcompany.com, although I paid less then the site says right now. I am about a 1/2 hour from them so I picked up. They had plenty in stock. I got mine on weds., then this friday it crashed, I went back to them and they fixed the issue and were willing to replace without a hassle. Anyway seem like good guys.
    09-21-08 01:52 PM
    I bought a branded Rogers Bold and unlocked it via globalunlock.com. Rogers don't ship to the US, but if you have someone to get it for you in Canada would be ideal. Hope this info helps. My Bold works fine by the way, I love it. Good luck with your choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-08 02:12 PM
    try eBay. lots of Rogers-branded (and others) Bolds on there...
    09-21-08 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD