Bought a 9900 off ebay last week with a broken screen. After repairing the screen on the boot up screen the phone comes on with a white screen with a blue rim logo and under that it says

Property of
    Research in Motion Limited
    All Rights Reserved
    Engineer Use Only
    Not For Sale or Lease

The seller sold it for parts as the screen was broken. He did not mention the phone is a test unit anywhere.

I don't know what to do now,i spent �40 just to get the screen replaced and now i find this out, and i am going to lose �40!! if i send the phone back to original seller.

I have read through some of the other threads regarding this matter and most people say the phone will stop working 1 day. I just saw another thread about a playbook with the same problem and the guy contacted rim and they sent him a replacement.

Should i give that a try if not what can i do?

Any replies appreciated.
    Last edited by Krack-Berri; 07-13-12 at 10:36 AM. Reason: sdad
    07-12-12 06:01 AM
    If it's the property of RIM I'd call them and ask if they want it back. Surely by now they may not and like the playbook person give you another in return.

It may be a prototype bold with bb10 innards
    07-12-12 06:33 AM
    If it's the property of RIM I'd call them and ask if they want it back. Surely by now they may not and like the playbook person give you another in return.

It may be a prototype bold with bb10 innards
    I have just sent them an email explaining everything.

Damn the email hasnt gone through. Does anyone know which email i should contact them on?
    Last edited by Krack-Berri; 07-12-12 at 06:49 AM. Reason: bbbgfhrevwfeg
    07-12-12 06:47 AM

Damn the email hasnt gone through. Does anyone know which email i should contact them on?
    If you find the thread on the PlayBook, you may be able to find the email there. I think the person contacted RIM internal security.
    07-12-12 07:54 AM
    I am dead serious here, would you like to swap 9900s? I have a unbranded retail one, in brand new condition with full warranty. We can ship with tracking and I'm good for my word.
    07-12-12 08:25 AM
    If you find the thread on the PlayBook, you may be able to find the email there. I think the person contacted RIM internal security.
    i found the link to that guy's website (i forgot his name lol) and have emailed him about all this.
    07-12-12 09:04 AM
    I am dead serious here, would you like to swap 9900s? I have a unbranded retail one, in brand new condition with full warranty. We can ship with tracking and I'm good for my word.
    No thank you.
    07-12-12 09:05 AM
    Bought a 9900 off ebay last week with a broken screen. After repairing the screen on the boot up screen the phone comes on with a white screen with a blue rim logo and under that it says

Property of
    Research in Motion Limited
    All Rights Reserved
    Engineer Use Only
    Not For Sale or Lease

The seller sold it for parts as the screen was broken. He did not mention the phone is a test unit anywhere.

I don't know what to do now, �30 just to get the screen replaced and now i find this out, i cant return to original seller as i have tampered with it plus am going to lose �30!!.

I have read through some of the other threads regarding this matter and most people say the phone will stop working 1 day. I just saw another thread about a playbook with the same problem and the guy contacted rim and they sent him a replacement.

Should i give that a try if not what can i do?

Any replies appreciated.
    If you bought the phone for parts you can not expect it to be useful except for parts. RIM is not going to help you.
    07-12-12 10:30 AM
    If you bought the phone for parts you can not expect it to be useful except for parts. RIM is not going to help you.
    Re read, its the property of RIM.

He's asking them whether they want it back not to fix it lol
    07-12-12 10:34 AM
    Only thing was wrong with it was the screen, which has now been fixed. I have tested everything on the phone and seems to be perfectly running.
    07-13-12 04:23 AM
    Re read, its the property of RIM.

He's asking them whether they want it back not to fix it lol
    Yes, correct.
    07-13-12 05:09 AM
    Contacted the seller via ebay yesterday, who sold the phone on behalf of his friends gf and has no idea about the "Property of Research in Motion Limited". And had asked me to return for a full refund, and i told him i have repaired the phone and he got back to me he will cover all the expenses that i paid for. And its my choice what i want to do..

what shall i do????????????????????????????????
    Last edited by Krack-Berri; 07-13-12 at 05:47 AM. Reason: dsfsdgrbyg
    07-13-12 05:45 AM
    I would chase RIM & see if they'll give you another if they want that back. If not get the ebay money first then send back.

Did you say its working perfectly now ? If so, keep it.
    chm985 likes this.
    07-13-12 05:48 AM
    I would chase RIM & see if they'll give you another if they want that back. If not get the ebay money first then send back.

Did you say its working perfectly now ? If so, keep it.
    I will give them a ring soon, if i can find a number in the UK :S

yes its perfectly working. all it needed was a new screen which i got repaired.

I dont want to keep it, it was initially bought to be fixed and resold. I have fixed it but cannot sell it...
    Last edited by Krack-Berri; 07-13-12 at 06:47 AM. Reason: fdsfd
    07-13-12 06:46 AM
    I will give them a ring soon, if i can find a number in the UK :S

yes its perfectly working. all it needed was a new screen which i got repaired.

I dont want to keep it, it was initially bought to be fixed and resold. I have fixed it but cannot sell it...
    RIM

United Kingdom: 08000962805

Or their actual number which isn't via 0800: 01695262583
    Krack-Berri likes this.
    07-13-12 06:49 AM

Try sending them a DM on Twitter.
    07-13-12 08:36 AM
    Try sending them a DM on Twitter.
    I dont have a twitter account i tried making one some time ago and it was all so confusing.

could someone please message them through twitter and link them to this thread?

thanks

-btw i will be giving them a call shortly. will keep this updated.
    07-13-12 09:02 AM
    just spoken to them and all they can say is send it back to original seller as there is nothing they can do for now, unless the seller disagrees on accepting the item back and paying me for all my expenses.

other than that only thing that was advised is to take the phone to the phone network provider, but unfortunately since it was from ebay, i am not sure which carrier to take the phone to as its sim free...
    Last edited by Krack-Berri; 07-13-12 at 10:38 AM. Reason: sadaasd
    07-13-12 09:52 AM
    Check your PMs, please and thanks.
    Krack-Berri likes this.
    07-13-12 05:32 PM
    why is everyone PM'ing this guy obsessed with buying this property of RIM bold off him. Is there something special or top secret on it?
    wxmancanada and andy957 like this.
    07-14-12 11:19 PM
    why is everyone PM'ing this guy obsessed with buying this property of RIM bold off him. Is there something special or top secret on it?
    wxmancanada - pm'd me to help me with my problem, he told me what i can do with the phone. He was not interested in buying the phone. There is something special about this phone, it is a Test Unit, which only belongs to RIM. Its rare which is why people want to buy it. But so far I have only had one person ask me, which is on the previous page.

A little update...

RIM answered to the email i sent a few days back. They replied as they wanted to speak to me. On phone, they wanted the phone back obviously, and i was told to return the phone back to them and they will send me a prepaid box to send the phone back. And also send me a new replacement phone.

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Last edited by Krack-Berri; 07-15-12 at 05:05 AM. Reason: cxzcxzc
    07-15-12 05:03 AM
    wxmancanada - pm'd me to help me with my problem, he told me what i can do with the phone. He was not interested in buying the phone.

A little update...

RIM answered to the email i sent a few days back. They replied as they wanted to speak to me. On phone, they wanted the phone back obviously, and i was told to return the phone back to them and they will send me a prepaid box to send the phone back. And also send me a new replacement phone.

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Aha good, that was the best outcome.
    07-15-12 05:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD