I have a Sprint BB 9650 running the latest 6.0 OS. And am using Opera Mini 7. In recent months Opera has been running slower (native browser slow) and even unresponsive at loading up websites at times. Opera Mini used to be lightning fast. Has anyone else been having the same issue?
    07-08-12 09:15 AM
    Using OM 7.0.0.5 and it's working great.
    07-09-12 10:41 AM
    Opera Mini is a server based app. When you go to a website, the OM client on your phone sends a message to the Opera server which gets the webpage and interprets it. It then sends just the display content to your phone.

By doing this OM should be fast because it uses the powerfule computing resources availbe at the server. Howeve if the serve is busy, slow, failing that day then OM will display slower on your phone.

Doing all this means that OM's security is far lower than the native browser and since RIM will not let OM onto blackberry.net (I think because it is so insecure) you are forced to use APN / IP (normal internet) for browsing. Any webpage you look at could possible be viewed on the server by someone. Why they would want to do this is beyond me because no-one in their right mind would use OM for anything other than casual browsing. Any banking or financial browsing would obviously be done using the native browser for these reasons.

Even though it may be faster, I would not have OM on my phone if you paid me to do so because it is so insecure.
    07-09-12 11:09 AM
    No problems here. Using the latest OM7 and its very fast. I have no use for the BB browser.
    07-11-12 06:50 PM
    Hmm must just be by phone! Time to upgrade to OS 7 that's all that means.
    hornlovah likes this.
    07-14-12 07:45 AM
    I agree with JohnHennessy, you should get newer device to get fast speeds and everything..
    For me, Opera worked much more faster then the regular browser on my old Blackberry phone.
    07-15-12 10:25 AM
    ... snip...
    Doing all this means that OM's security is far lower than the native browser and since RIM will not let OM onto blackberry.net (I think because it is so insecure) you are forced to use APN / IP (normal internet) for browsing. Any webpage you look at could possible be viewed on the server by someone. Why they would want to do this is beyond me because no-one in their right mind would use OM for anything other than casual browsing. Any banking or financial browsing would obviously be done using the native browser for these reasons.

Even though it may be faster, I would not have OM on my phone if you paid me to do so because it is so insecure.
    I respectfully disagree. Opera Mini uses secure connections, and all information sent between Opera Mini and websites is encrypted using established SSL algorithms (256-bit RC4, 1280-bit RSA, and SHA-256). BIS is superior because it supports HTTPS in end-to-end mode, and Opera does not because they need an unencrypted version of the webpage in order to transcode it. While someone with the right access to the Opera Mini servers could potentially view the web pages you visit, the information you enter into Opera Mini is protected against third party interception and manipulation. More info here: Opera Mini FAQ/Security
    07-15-12 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD