Unfortunately after years of defending BB, having graduated from 8310, 8900, 9700 on to 9800. I run a business where I primarily sell BB phones (amongst other consumer electronics), I found a reason to get another smartphone.

I will keep my BB, but to use it primarily for BBM and maybe some emails.

My business has been chosen to market an 'app' that allows international calls at a really cheap rate like Skype & Rebtel. Unfortunately RIM/ BB does not support such 'apps'. Rebtel supports only OS4.0 (or is it 5.0) and below, no Skype on BB. This new app only works on BB OS6.0 and then only with wifi - won't work with 3G.

However on android and IOS, it works perfectly.

BB10 delayed till next year, there is no need for me to upgrade to any 7.0 BB, especially with compatibility issues with 'apps' generally. So I will stick with my 9800, get myself a robust android with nice big screen, I have started to learn to type on a touchscreen, in UK where am based the telecom companies are bringing back large or unlimited data plans, am currently paying �26 a month for 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data.

I go to Nigeria, West Africa often, where I have a shop that sells the BB's. BB is really massive here mainly due to BBM and the relatively cheaper data plans that the telecos give to BIS, equivalent of $18 a month, but even that is being eroded by the local telecos offering data plans of less than $25 month for 2GB and the growing use of 'whatapps'

If RIM lose the emerging and developing countries market, then I don't think there will much to salvage when BB10 finally comes on stream
    brunoto and freighter1 like this.
    07-08-12 04:22 AM
    Why won't the app work on OS7? Is this an OS limitation or, is it to do with networking?

I have often wondered about Skype/VOIP on BlackBerry. It seems to me that there will be a packet delay caused by the encryption and comoression that goes on with BlackBerry and blackberry.net. Is this the problem?

I have also heard from another developer that RIM app support people did not correctly understand how to interface with blackberry.net and gave hime wrong information that slowed down his product launch.
    07-08-12 05:37 AM
    Considering Skype works perfectly on my 9930, I see no reason why other companiescouldnt develop a working system/app. The limit appears to be one of desire only.
    07-08-12 05:53 AM
    Skype on BB currently only works on Verizon as far as I know. However, from BB10 on, I believe it will work natively, although preferably on wifi. You do have to understand that apps such as facetime only work natively on wifi. The reason is because as fast as your data can go, there are still limitations. Of course, if you want to force it, I guess you could. But I wouldn't count BB10 out yet. As for what you said about working only 5.0 and below. I hate to break it to you, but anything that can run on 5.0 can run on anything newer, 6.0 and 7.0. The reason they don't market it that way is because the OS itself hasn't changed much.
    07-08-12 06:00 AM
    I've always heard that the reason RIM hasn't permitted VoIP is because the carriers haven't wanted them to support it. RIM must, with BB10, put the end users requirements over the carrier's. Apple and Google have shown that supporting these features won't keep the carrier's from selling the devices.
    07-08-12 07:38 AM
    With iOS 6, facetime will be available over cellular, i think we can all presume that 4G will be on board. Apps from OS 5, theoretically would work, but not always properly. Just take the Tumblr app. Not available on App world for OS 7 devices, though it will still work if you download it ota. But the resolution is not adjusted for the higher res screen.

Didn't RIM announce a partner "TruPhone"? which does VOIP? But there's no denying that companies are unwilling to update or create apps for the old BBOS platform. So right now, all we can do is hope for the best for BB10. BB10 Jam World Tour Singapore is up in 12 hours!
    07-08-12 07:51 AM
    Thank you all for your comments.

Unfortunately as I am not a developer myself, I can't say why the 'app' won't work with OS7, but to sufffice to not for lack of trying.

The 'app' is currently available on iTunes and Google Play, works well on both WiFi & 3G

Other similar 'apps' such as Rebtel don't work with anything better than BB OS5.0, I currently use rebtel but cannot use the app and have to use their 'virtual number' system, unlike IOS & andriod where you can dial direct from your phone book.

I daresay, I think RIM's strength of compressed data is also her weakness regarding the use of VOIP and similar apps.

As someone mentioned above, the use of VOIP encourages people to buy the handsets.

Also I not convinced that 'apps' for 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 are inter changeable. I have a number of 'apps' on my Torch 9800 that are 'greyed' out when I transffered to the Torch from 5.0 on the 9700.

Rumour has it that BB10 will not work with any old 'apps' and developers are almost starting again from scratch. Surely the clever people at RIM recognise this is a potential problem for current users of Blackberry Appworld
    07-08-12 08:22 AM
    Yup, blackberry is missing one very important component which is VOIP. Viber was recently launched without VOIP, Skype was rumored to be launching a blackberry version but it was launched only for Verizon... BB10 needs VOIP in order for it to be complete. Many companies (and individuals) are relying on VOIP now, and releasing BB10 without VOIP means that the general public will still be lacking a very important feature in a kick-@ss phone...
    07-08-12 09:41 AM
    Nope, I can use Skype voip very well on my os7, my friend can call me from his laptop while I'm on the cellular network . But have to use Telkomsel as the provider. Indonesia as developing country like people says can do it than other countries.
    07-08-12 07:33 PM
    Nope, I can use Skype voip very well on my os7, my friend can call me from his laptop while I'm on the cellular network . But have to use Telkomsel as the provider. Indonesia as developing country like people says can do it than other countries.

Let me understand this, you actually have downloaded Skype on to your BB on OS7 or you receive calls from somebody using Skype?

As far as I am aware only Verizon in US allows BB users use Skype, perhaps RIM & Telkomsel in Indonesia have the same arrangement as Verizon. Please give us more information.

thanks
    07-08-12 08:00 PM
    Like I said before, I installed skype from Telkomsel to my 9810, and one of my friend can do VOIP from his laptop to my 9810 over cellular network (no wifi).
    But I haven't try from BB to BB device.

See my blog here https://febyadityawan.wordpress.com/...el-blackberry/
    07-09-12 11:19 AM
    Indeed I don't know why is it so difficult to get VOIP services on BlackBerry. It has to be from the BlackBerry side of things since developers have no issues on other platforms providing these capabilities.

Plethora of iOS and Android apps offer this service, the only breakthrough for in-app calling I've seen is the new Dell Voip for Canada numbers only.

The biggest slap to the face is where cross-platform chat allow voip calls from Android/iOS and text only for BlackBerry (ie. KAKAO, Viber...), if anything I would have liked to see BlackBerry be an industry leading and offer free voip calls through BBM but I'm sure the carriers wouldn't like that and that train is long gone...
    07-09-12 11:45 AM
    BB users in Canada can use Dell Voice.
    07-09-12 12:06 PM
    Chris Umiastowski's comment on Skype and BB:

"Skype … a non factor right now in choosing Windows Phone over iOS or Android. Obviously RIM has a hole there And I got some good info on why a couple weeks ago. They better fix this."

It's in the comment section of his article:

RIM’s Cash Maintenance Game
    brunoto likes this.
    07-09-12 01:37 PM
    Well this won't help VOIP on BBOS, but it looks like TruPhone has figured out VOIP for BB10 on launch. It does sound like a complicated setup, but hopefully their groundwork will make things easier for developers who join the party later on.

VoIP Development on BlackBerry 10 �BlackBerry Developer Blog
    07-10-12 08:06 PM
    lets face it - if RIM deliver its devices with SIP client built in, the telco bussines will lost a lot of its revenues. as we all can suppose, the main selling point of smartphone devices are the telecom carriers retails. so we got the answer why BB doesnt come with native SIP / VoIP client. same with iOS & Android.

as employee in app development company, i can share with you guys its pretty hard to code for BB OS. even harder to match different OS and even more hard to perform at same (over) acceptable level with different devices. esp. for VoIP apps where the speed & quality are crucial issues.

it happens like this app can work great for your device but to be complete crap for mine. so you always has to test before purchasing license or app with prepaid voice service built in.
    08-24-12 08:08 AM
    Viber beta voice call

Good news
    http://m.crackberry.com/viber-beta-b...er-wifi-and-3g

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-11-13 06:46 AM
    Jeez, why are you nercoing this old thread for news that is already posted in like three places.
    Rawr

Posted via CB10
    Masahiro likes this.
    04-11-13 09:33 AM
    Jeez, why are you nercoing this old thread for news that is already posted in like three places.
    Rawr

Posted via CB10
    Because feby.adityawan used the search feature and this thread came up?
    feby.adityawan likes this.
    04-11-13 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD