Ok, I know it's 2012 and all...
    Some days ago I got a cheap used 9000 as a backup to my abused 9700, and I must say, what a phone!
    The 9700 has OS6 and the trackpad and the better battery life, but for everything else the 9000 beats it hands down!

Phone call quality - the mic and the speaker are just way better!
    Even just for voice notes, the mic does a way more natural recording.
    The speakerphone is simply amazing, does it play stereo music or it just seems to me?
    The keyboard... Man, I was used to mine, but this is way faster and easier to type on!
    The screen though with lower resolution is just nice to look at with the wider format
    It seems way tougher
    Mini usb FTW! (though I have already acquired enough micro usb cables, but what a nightmare was the 9700 when I got it, no accessories anywhere at human prices)

Soooo... I'm thinking about using as my primary phone...

I installed the DelftEo v7.4 hybrid, and it is settling right now (at least I'm hoping so) and I'm waiting to get more battery life...
    What are the best figures I can aim to for constant 3G network usage? (my carrier works only on 3G)

Any memory cleaner - garbage collector available for free? I'm getting 18mb at best after installing some apps (cannot even think of installing all the apps I have on the 9700...), is there a way to delete unused call tones and all those stupid bbm avatars?

If I chose to put a 4.7 OS on, how much memory would I have available after a clean install? I was at 39mb I think now.

Any recommendation about this phone? Settings I don't know about or mods or whatever?

Thanks!
    07-07-12 02:06 PM
    As a backup hehe, I'd use it as my main BB and the 9700 as a backup....thats just me.
    07-07-12 03:24 PM
    That's right what I'm thinking to do, once I figure out how do the battery and the memory perform...
    07-07-12 03:47 PM
    As a backup hehe, I'd use it as my main BB and the 9700 as a backup....thats just me.
    My sentiments exactly !!!!!!!!! only that my backup is an iPhone.......
    07-07-12 06:58 PM
    Some days ago I got a cheap used 9000 as a backup to my abused 9700, and I must say, what a phone!
    The 9700 has OS6 and the trackpad and the better battery life, but for everything else the 9000 beats it hands down!

Phone call quality - the mic and the speaker are just way better!
    Even just for voice notes, the mic does a way more natural recording.
    The speakerphone is simply amazing, does it play stereo music or it just seems to me?
    The keyboard... Man, I was used to mine, but this is way faster and easier to type on!
    The screen though with lower resolution is just nice to look at with the wider format
    It seems way tougher
    Mini usb FTW! (though I have already acquired enough micro usb cables, but what a nightmare was the 9700 when I got it, no accessories anywhere at human prices)

Soooo... I'm thinking about using as my primary phone...

I installed the DelftEo v7.4 hybrid, and it is settling right now (at least I'm hoping so) and I'm waiting to get more battery life...
    What are the best figures I can aim to for constant 3G network usage? (my carrier works only on 3G)

Any memory cleaner - garbage collector available for free? I'm getting 18mb at best after installing some apps (cannot even think of installing all the apps I have on the 9700...), is there a way to delete unused call tones and all those stupid bbm avatars?

If I chose to put a 4.7 OS on, how much memory would I have available after a clean install? I was at 39mb I think now.

Any recommendation about this phone? Settings I don't know about or mods or whatever?

Thanks!

Matr00, you can install a 5.0 OS which works wonderfully with the 9000 and after some 'shrinking' using something like the BBHTool you will be able to install a lot of apps and still have enough memory left, I have most of the apps that i need and the mem hovers around the 40's or so which is like 20% free give and take of those 128mb's.....you just need to do some searching and you'll find how to to do so, if i might be of any assistance just pm me....
    07-07-12 07:13 PM
    At last I installed the JSL v8 5.0.0.1096 based hybrid os, shrinked with bbhtool and then manually deleted some unused language cods and now the memory stands at 28mb with fb, aos, opera, endomondo, telicost and a theme with os7 icons installed. It is pretty snappy! Need still to install bb protect.

It does although read the battery level in some strange way... It goes from 100% to 65% normally, then drops to 30%, then stays at 30% for a loooong time, then down and dies... And the same battery performs normally on my 9700...
    07-11-12 06:16 AM
    Download MemBoo when your phone starts to get sluggish

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    07-15-12 09:19 AM
    I see that more and more people are going back to what's really good.
    Enjoy your Blackberry Bold
    07-16-12 02:01 AM
    I just picked a brand new one up as a present for a relative. I was presently surprised how much better the speaker and call quality was compared to my iPhone 4! I am seriously in love with this and contemplating getting one! I love love love the keyboard! Only phone so far which has made me think twice about getting another phone!
    08-05-12 02:45 AM
    My backup is iPhone4S

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-05-12 11:13 PM
    9000 is the former king of smartphone(now is 9900).9000 is absolutely best phone i ever used.man .don't let it be ur backup.it should be ur main phone.
    11-13-12 07:01 AM
    it's a great phone. My wife uses one and won't let it go after trying out the 9700. i think she's not a big fan of the optical track pad
    11-21-12 10:46 AM
    No other phone beats the 9000's keyboard and build quality. None.
    11-25-12 04:42 PM
    I have finally bought a brand new boxed BlackBerry 9000 from Ebay today. Now is the long two day wait.

I haven't even held a 9000 yet but like the classic looks & people are still saying great things about them. Also it will keep my mind busy by thinking slightly less of the long wait until BB10's are available too.

Btw, my excited anticipation is on par with the wait I had for my first 9900 on launch week. ..hurry up Tuesday & hurry up January 30 !!!
    Last edited by Ben1232; 11-25-12 at 05:37 PM.
    11-25-12 05:05 PM
    9000 has always been my favorite design it was my first phone in university and it just was amazing.
    11-25-12 05:16 PM
    At last I installed the JSL v8 5.0.0.1096 based hybrid os, shrinked with bbhtool and then manually deleted some unused language cods and now the memory stands at 28mb with fb, aos, opera, endomondo, telicost and a theme with os7 icons installed. It is pretty snappy! Need still to install bb protect.

It does although read the battery level in some strange way... It goes from 100% to 65% normally, then drops to 30%, then stays at 30% for a loooong time, then down and dies... And the same battery performs normally on my 9700...
    So I am back and just got my 9000.. I want to mod it as much as possible to make it awesome. If I remember right, unfortunately these tools to shrink and install hybrid OS's are only for windows right? I have a mac.
    01-09-13 07:11 PM
    The Bold 9000, as I understood it, had dual speakers for the external sound play. It was always one of the features that made it a premium device.
    01-09-13 09:53 PM
    The Bold 9000, as I understood it, had dual speakers for the external sound play. It was always one of the features that made it a premium device.
    Correct. I'm not sure what mic they used but people would periodically comment that the sound was very clear. I also noticed the headset speaker was very clear as well. Unfortunate it didn't have just a touch more memory to run more current OSes, though the Hybrids are very well done and make up for part of this disappointment.
    01-13-13 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD